Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

View Poll Results: What do you think of this statue?
I love the statue and would like to see more statues of other movie icons 7 53.85%
I like the statue and would consider buying it on exceptional basis 2 15.38%
I am focusing on comic related statues and would not buy these kind of statues 1 7.69%
I am sorry but this statue is not my cup of tea 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Black Coffee - The Mark Alfrey Studio statue of Pam Grier as Coffy

America's public enemy number one in the United States is drug abuse. In order to fight and defeat this enemy, it is necessary to wage a new, all-out offensive.
- President Nixon, 1971

We're taking down the surrender flag that has flown over so many drug efforts; we're running up a battle flag.
- President Reagan, 1981

Hi guys,

a couple of weeks ago I received the 12 inch statue of Pam Grier in her role as Coffy as released by the Mark Alfrey Studio.
Without giving away too much already, I can already say that in general I like this statue a lot.
It's not perfect in every aspect but it has that kind of funky presence which reminds me of the atmosphere and vibe of the cult classic movies of the seventies.
The resemblance with the beautiful Pam Grier is stunning and somehow the sculptor managed to capture the 'kick ass, vigilante' attitude of Coffy who is taking out the garbage in her quest for revenge and justice.
Coffy looks sexy but at the same time her defiant pose and the shotgun in her hand make it clear this is a vixen on the warpath.
No longer a caring nurse, Coffy is out to get the scum who hurt her little sister badly by providing her with contaminated heroine.
Hell hath no fury like an angry woman and Coffy is out to set the world of the drug dealers in her neighborhood on fire!
Coffy is in no way a superhero with extraordinary powers or gifts but she shows in an impressive way that you do not need superpowers in order to do
what's right. Against all odds Coffy cleaned up her neighborhood and that's the kind of spirit and determination which really make your efforts count.

That background combined with the great sculpt and 'don't mess with me'-vibe of the statue, made me pull the trigger on this statue and I am very happy to have this statue in my collection.
Being the proud owner of this statue you will find my evaluation of the statue below.

My Verdict

This statue is a bit of an odd addition to my collection which is mostly Marvel orientated.That being said I knew I wanted to add this statue to my collection ever since I saw it for the first time. Pam Grier played one of her best roles as the nurse “Coffy” out to settle the score with the drug dealers in her neighborhood and that alone would have been a good reason to buy this statue. Add to that however the defiant ‘I’m going to kick your a$$!’-attitude captured so masterfully in this statue and it was a no-brainer to me when I got the chance to invite Coffy into my collection.
This statue has a lot going on for it but that does not mean that it is perfect. I think Coffy’s hair could have been more detailed and in general I am not too fond of nameplates on my statues even though I do think the name plate in this case adds to that funky, seventies-vibe of the statue.
But all-in all this is a heck of a statue of a determined, angry woman who has taken things personally.

Of course there is nothing more personal than pointing out the merits and flaws of a statue and your mileage may vary from my scores below.
I will give it my best shot however and hope you will find my views useful even if you feel differently about this statue than I do.

Ladies and gentlemen, please find below the verdict of the jury:

The Mark Alfrey Studio presents Pam Grier as Coffy.
This is the first ever officially licensed statue of Pam Grier in her classic 1973 role as the vigilante super vixen “Coffy”

Statue Number: #148/900
Release date: 2011
Sculptor: Mark Alfrey
Statue size: The statue stands 12 inches tall

Sculpt: 9/10
I find the sculpt generally impressive and like what I see regardless of whichever side I look at the statue. Coffy is sculpted in a defiant and sexy pose and the resemblance to Pam Grier is remarkable.
I love the casual way in which Coffy is holding the shotgun with her other hand placed on her hip. It’s a beautiful pose which shows that Coffy is a very attractive woman but at the same time not the kind of woman you would like get angry.
Coffy has this cool ’Ýou messed with the wrong babe, dude!’-look which I personally love. This is a woman bend on making things right again the hard and ugly way and she is not going to stop until the house has been cleaned thoroughly.
Yet at the same time Coffy’s attactiveness cannot be overlooked when looking at the statue: from her beautifully flat, muscular belly to her nice round buttocks, her firm breasts, her delicate feet and her beautiful face wearing those big earrings; it’s all there and it all is part of the woman which Coffy is. Beautiful but deadly, soft but strong, round but unforgiving and flexible but tough. Coffy is an enraged woman and as such she is ‘Beauty and the Beast’ all in one.
The only thing I felt which could be sculpted better is Coffy’s hair. Coffy’s afro could have been sculpted with more detail and care. Coffy’s hair does not look like or resemble hair as I think it should look and that is a pity since the rest of the statue is sculpted in such an amazing way

Paint & Mixed Media: 9/10
The way I see the paintjob on this statue is great. I love the yellow pants with the black striping on the side in combination with Coffy’s purple bra which to me is another great reference to the seventies.
Furthermore I think Coffy’s body is painted spot on in awesome almost lifelike brown skin colour and I love the eye for details which the painter had when applying the red lipstick on Coffy’s lips.
I am not too happy with the way Coffy’s hair is sculpted and think there is room for improvement as well when it comes down to way Coffy’s hair is painted. It’s definitely not awful but in my opinion it is certainly not perfect either. Coffy’s hair does not look like or resemble a real afro since it lacks details and realism.
Coffy’s hair is less than stellar but other than that the paintjob is topnotch and really well done!
The statue does not include any mixed media but with a paintjob this good I do not think you'd be missing out on any goodie.

Design: 9/10
I like the look, presence and vibe of the statue; Pam Grier has really been captured masterfully in her role as Coffy. It is almost as if you are looking at a still of the movie when looking at this statue and that is a great compliment. As stated I am not too fond of name plates on my statues in general since I know of which character I bought a statue. In this case however the name plate adds to the funky, seventies feel of the statue and I must admit I dig it.
The statue combines the sexy appearance of Coffy with her furious determination on her dangerous and deadly mission and that combination has resulted in an exciting, great looking statue.

Production & Build Quality: 10/10
The statue feels reassuringly solid and sturdy. The statue is permanently attached to the base and there is no assemblance necessary when taking the statue out of the box.The statue feels good when holding it and I never got the impression it was particularly fragile or frail.
This statue should easily lasts many, many years to come if treated with the normal, regular care and a little bit of attention.

Overall rating: 9.25/10 - Not to be missed and highly recommended!

--------------------------------------------

Although our war on drugs must be fortified with the best laws, enforcement efforts and resources, we would not be successful without your individual commitment to this cause.
- Mel Carnahan

Background information

The War on Drugs
War on Drugs is an American term commonly applied to a campaign of prohibition of drugs, military aid, and military intervention, with the stated aim being to define and reduce the illegal drug trade.
This initiative includes a set of drug policies that are intended to discourage the production, distribution, and consumption of what participating governments and the UN define as illegal psychoactive drugs. The term was popularized by the media shortly after a press conference given on June 18, 1971, by United States President Richard Nixon—the day after publication of a special message from President Nixon to the Congress on Drug Abuse Prevention and Control—during which he declared drug abuse "public enemy number one".
That message to the Congress included text about devoting more federal resources to the "prevention of new addicts, and the rehabilitation of those who are addicted", but that part did not received the same public attention as the term "war on drugs". The Drug Policy Alliance estimates that the United States spends $51 billion annually on the War on Drugs.

About Coffy - the movie
Pam Grier's first leading role is Coffy, a dedicated nurse who is fed up with the narcotics that have infiltrated the inner city. When her eleven-year-old sister is hospitalized after shooting some contaminated heroin, Coffy hits the streets with a loaded shotgun, determined to stop the drug trade once and for all. Coffy is pushed over the edge and sets out on a mission of vengeance and vigilante justice, killing drug dealers, pimps, and mobsters who cross her path.

'Coffy' has got to be one of the slickest pieces of entertainment ever created, not to mention the penultimate "Blaxploitation" cinema experience. It's a credit to everyone involved in the film that the story could be so gratuitously nonsensical and contrived and still seem completely logical while it's happening. It's like a comic book come to life.
Pam Grier made many movies in the 1970s, but 'Coffy' as much as anything, is the one role on which her reputation as the Queen of blaxploitation rests.

The movie was hugely successful and made Pam Grier a true moviestar. Instead of a female James Bond character like Cleopatra Jones, director Jack Hill made Coffy a regular working class black woman (a nurse as a matter of fact), who must use her brains and looks to achieve her goal - revenge for the drug addiction of her kid sister. The movie crosses elements seen in the male blaxploitation classics of the period like 'Superfly' and 'Shaft' with the vigilante genre and as such really kicks off.
Ms. Grier is sensational in this movie. She can act, she's tough, she pulls off the action scenes with credibility, and of course she looks amazing throughout all of the scenes.
If you really want to understand why so many movie buffs from Quentin Tarantino on down worship Pam Grier then 'Coffy' is THE movie to watch. Arguably her best movie, it's a blaxploitation classic and still great viewing thirty years later!
'Coffy' is a highly recommended to anyone with an interest in 1970s exploitation or crime movies.

The genius in the film is in the way that Coffy manages to manipulate her way through all the obstacles which she encounters in her quest for vengeance. Even the hardest criminals are putty in her hands, and she never looks more beautiful than when she is covered in scratches, grime, and wielding a shotgun.
She has a seemingly endless bag of tricks, several of which involve weapons hidden in her astonishing afro.
She's comfortable around a gun, but she'll use any old thing lying around to wreak her vengeance: a broken wine bottle, a hypodermic needle full of dope, a selfmade knife, yes, even a convenient rock lying on the side of the road.

By the time the climax rolls around, the film has become deliriously exciting, building continuously upwards until you think it is going to collapse in on itself. But honestly it never does.
'Coffy' stands tall and even though the movie may not be a real masterpiece in general, it does not get much better when taking into account the 'type' of movie it was going for.
Aside from Tarantino's Jackie Brown (of which not only did that filmmaker take license with the 'have no mercy, take no prisoners' style of Grier, but the best musical pieces as well), this is Pam Grier's finest turn in what some consider in the exploitation-movie world as the first 'black-exploitation' classic.

Before heading over to the pictures, I'd like to end this review with a tribute to Pam Grier in her unforgettable role as Coffy:

Black coffee, the African queen
Part of the Afro-American dream
Enough respect
I dig your intellect
Appreciate the fact that you never miss a step
The backbone of the black home here's to ya
As long as I'm around believe me none could ever do ya
You're warm, considerate, and far from a softie
And that's why I love ya, you're my black coffee

Black coffee, no sugar, no cream
That's the type of girl I need down with my team
Hey, that's the kind of girl I need down with my team
Uh, that's the type of girl I need down with my team
It's just the way I like it

- Heavy D & The Boyz: Black Coffee

Have fun with the pics and never forget the wise words once said by reverend Jesse Jackson: Down with dope, up with hope!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

This is the end of your rotten life, you motherf*ckin' dope pusher!
- Pam Grier as Coffy

Rainer

Old 08-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

No one sleeps when they mess with Coffy!
- Tagline movie Coffy

Rainer

Old 08-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

The Baddest One-Chick Hit-Squad that ever hit town!
- Tagline movie Coffy

Rainer

Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

She's the "GODMOTHER" of them all.
- Tagiline movie Coffy

Rainer

Old 08-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

They call her Coffy and she'll cream you!
- Tagline movie Coffy

Rainer

Old 08-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Shoo
Hercules

That's a terrific tooned-up Pam Grier, Rainer. Congrats.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Great Review Rainer !

I have this statue as well as the 23" version and it rocks

This was a must have for me.
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Thanks for checking out this thread guys. My collection is mostly Marvel orientated so initially I was afraid this statue would really look out of place in my collection. I am happy to have this statue into my collection however and everytime I look at Coffy she seems to feel more and more at home and i for one am not complaining!

Rainer

Old 10-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
omigeo
Alpha Flight

I have this one but at the smaller scale. I also got Foxy Brown, where she is holds the gun behind her wearing her short long tail blue dress. I truly love how Mark did her. The body he did on her is really a knock out. I don't think the pictures really do her justice. These statues are just awesome!
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote