Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #31
yodanut
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_joseph
That's too easy ........ Being an Engineer I had to take all CALCS .... 1 - 4,
Linear Algebra, Diffy Q, Statistics and something else.
By the way, never use any of this at work.
I took all of those too....but never finished my Electrical Engineering Degree.

I never had a problem with the math/science courses....it was the few Gordon rule classes that finally did me in. I DESPISE WRITING ESSAYS!!!
yodanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #32
kirthew
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodanut
Deleted lots of stuff

4250 = 6000 -20P
4250-6000 = -20P
-1750 = -20P
P = -1750/-20 = 87.5

Very different answer but for SURE the correct one.
Incidentally, there is NO way anyone that's taking this course can figure this out UNLESS they're given the general equation Q = A + B*P. Maybe the instructor is giving this problem so that he doesn't give too many people an "A" since it's an online course.
So what you are saying is that my simple answer and solution on page 2 is correct?
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #33
CompEng1
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

As an Engineer who had to take all this math, I can safely say that I hope to never see it again. The only math I'm interested in are prices of statues and collectibles and the price of beer.
CompEng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:53 PM   #34
yodanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew
So what you are saying is that my simple answer and solution on page 2 is correct?
Hey Kirthew,

I didn't notice but it looks like you did get that one. The only thing is that there wasn't much work shown. Since they're testing the use of systems of equations and problem solving using algebra, she wouldn't get any credit.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #35
yodanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompEng1
As an Engineer who had to take all this math, I can safely say that I hope to never see it again. The only math I'm interested in are prices of statues and collectibles and the price of beer.

Really? I'd be happy doing this all day! It's very comforting to know that the answer is right there in front of you.....all you have to do is figure it out. Plus, the solution is either right or wrong with no gray areas.
Hardly anything else is that reliable.

(Yeah, I know, I know....I need therapy!)
Old 04-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #36
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

yea, i enjoyed engineering as well. I took EE at Auburn. after a while though, it got boring. i didn't enjoy the classes and nobody had a personality. then i was able to take international business and zipped through that in 2 years. it helped that i was able to skip through almost all of the requirements since i had the engineering and also only needed to take 1 year of a foreign language because of my spanish background (4 years are required). My brother got his Bach. & Masters at Georgia Tech in EE and my dad ME at Auburn. Our lives revolved around math, science and sports. go figure...
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #37
kirthew
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodanut
Hey Kirthew,

I didn't notice but it looks like you did get that one. The only thing is that there wasn't much work shown. Since they're testing the use of systems of equations and problem solving using algebra, she wouldn't get any credit.
I was being a smart ass... I had it figured out pretty quick... I used simple logic... if I discount a price by 25 dollars and sell 500 more units... If I discount the price another 25 dollars... I am going to sell an extra 500 units... and if I want to get rid of my last 250 units I need to discount it by 12.50.

I just did not know how to put my simple logic into a formula..
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #38
Colossus
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Hey! Isn't doing your girls assignment for her CHEATING?????? Everyone who has contributed an answer is considered an accomplice. This could be our first group ban on moral grounds.

Drod can you please do everyone a favor and ban him!
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #39
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew
I was being a smart ass... I had it figured out pretty quick... I used simple logic... if I discount a price by 25 dollars and sell 500 more units... If I discount the price another 25 dollars... I am going to sell an extra 500 units... and if I want to get rid of my last 250 units I need to discount it by 12.50.

I just did not know how to put my simple logic into a formula..
That could help make an estimate, but not to make a correct answer. This is not a linear relationship, it is an inversely proportional relationship.

For the record, I still do not think we've seen a definitive answer on this one.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote