Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #201
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
You obviously want it to be meaningless but it clearly isn't. There are many websites, business, forums, etc. that rate, track, discuss movie sales numbers which shows it means something, a lot, to many people. If it was meaningless we wouldn't be having this discussion and the defacto, unquestioned answer to the highest grossing movie of all time would be Gone with the Wind. Fact is, nobody really looks at it that way. Should they? Doesn't matter - they don't.
If you make, distribute, or exhibit movies, you might care about movie theater attendance to the extent that it affects your livelihood. (Furthermore, a movie's profitability actually matters more than its overall gross.
There've been many box office "winners" that actually lost money.)

Keeping track of Endgame vs Avatar is like keeping track of JP Morgan vs Jeff Bezos. Are you really that interested in rich people dick waving?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #202
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I don't view this thread any differently than I do the ranking movies threads I've posted. Just for fun and to see what other people on the forum have to say about the subject.

You think the idea of comparing movies is meaningless. Fine. I can see that side of the argument.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #203
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
I don't view this thread any differently than I do the ranking movies threads I've posted. Just for fun and to see what other people on the forum have to say about the subject.

You think the idea of comparing movies is meaningless. Fine. I can see that side of the argument.
In terms of aesthetics, it's fine, but in terms of money? Not the way it's being done in this thread. Again, profitability matters more than gross. Fox's Cleopatra "won" its year but almost sunk the studio.

https://m.the-numbers.com/market/196...rossing-movies

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_in_film
Old 06-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #204
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
If you make, distribute, or exhibit movies, you might care about movie theater attendance to the extent that it affects your livelihood. (Furthermore, a movie's profitability actually matters more than its overall gross.
There've been many box office "winners" that actually lost money.)
I don't do any of those things. Nobody else here does that either. A lot seem to care. It's not life or death. This is a forum about comic stuff so it's not a big deal but it's not meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Keeping track of Endgame vs Avatar is like keeping track of JP Morgan vs Jeff Bezos. Are you really that interested in rich people dick waving?
No, it's not and no, nobody here looks at this like you seem to (dick waving).

Relax

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #205
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Relax
I'm very relaxed.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #206
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I didn't remember the details surrounding Cleopatra as it is a little before my time. Hard for a film to be profitable when you plan for a production budget of $5M and actually end up spending over $30M. It didn't even lose that much money once it was out, Fox was just barely able to finish the film due to it going so far over budget.

The film almost broke even once it was out in theaters and doesn't even show up on the list of world wide box office bombs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...x-office_bombs

Damn, I've seen a lot of the films on that bombs list... even liked a few.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #207
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
I didn't remember the details surrounding Cleopatra as it is a little before my time. Hard for a film to be profitable when you plan for a production budget of $5M and actually end up spending over $30M. It didn't even lose that much money once it was out, Fox was just barely able to finish the film due to it going so far over budget.

The film almost broke even once it was out in theaters and doesn't even show up on the list of world wide box office bombs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...x-office_bombs

Damn, I've seen a lot of the films on that bombs list... even liked a few.
That list isn't adjusted for...wait for it...inflation.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #208
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

The losses are adjusted for inflation.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #209
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
The losses are adjusted for inflation.
I should've clarified that only the ones included in the "Nominal" (eg unadjusted) list got their numbers adjusted. The list excludes a lot of other movies that were huge bombs.

Anyway, measuring penis lengths isn't fascinating to me, especially when counting money is a game with an always moving goal line and when the game is measuring five different Disney penises.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #210
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Plus, isn't it likely that Avatar will be returning to theaters before the sequel come out?
They have until December 2021 when Avatar 2 is scheduled to release. I can see the original Avatar back for a limited release.