Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Blasterkid
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Hi new here, pro comic artist saying hello

Hey wanted to pop in and say hi first off.

My name is Richard Friend...I also go by Blasterkid on deviant art etc. I've been a professional comic artist now for about 15 years.....I've worked on Batman, Batman Dark Knight with David Finch, Arkham Knight, Wonder Woman...and really a ton of stuff for DC and if you know comics really well...I started out at Wildstorm with Jim Lee....I've inked Jim and shared a studio with him for about 12 years.

I broke in originally working with J. Scott Campbell, and worked with and was studio mates with some of the best comic artists of our generation. Travis Charest, Lee Bermejo who designed the Batman Noel, just on and on.

I am huge fan of statues...although I don't have too many yet...but I wanted to get into maybe painting or repainting some of the pieces I have....first up with be the original Poison Ivy premium format figure...I actually got a very nice one...with a solid paint job...but I really think I could do more with it. I bought a fantastic Japanese airbrush at this past comic con...more for doing paintings on board etc....but now I am thinking....hmmm..statues would be really fun/

I wanted first just to say hi...and get to know people here...so this is me mainly dipping my toes in the water to say hello...and then I will start working my way through the threads here and try and narrow in on what I am going to need.

To be honest I've considered going into doing my own custom sculpts...I have a series of original pieces I do...that might look amazing in statue form.

my main first question is....is there a main brand of paint people gravitate to when doing repaints?

anway....I just wanted to say hi....and maybe to get the ball rolling with a hello and a single question
looking forward to meeting you all.

Richard Friend/
Blasterkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Wow! Welcome to Statueforum.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
SONICobra
Batman

post some of your work bro, welcome to the forum!!!

I would probably say the most popular and commonly used paints are acrylics with brands like Tamiya, model master, Vallejo, createx and garage kits. ive used all of those except for garage kits but from what I understand their paints are awesome
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
Blasterkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Wow! Welcome to Statueforum.
it's funny I know your avatar...or I am trying to think....are you over at sideshow freaks? I saw you over here and knew it was you...although I think your username might be different or even the avatar ...I saw you reply in another thread a few days back and I was like...hey I know who that is...or thought I did.

might even be facebook....
Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
Blasterkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
post some of your work bro, welcome to the forum!!!

I would probably say the most popular and commonly used paints are acrylics with brands like Tamiya, model master, Vallejo, create and garage kits. ive used all of those except for garage kits but from what I understand their paints are awesome
I didn't want to come in and totally spam...the post was kind of funky and I didn't want to be like "this is me...this is my art" which the post could read as.

I just figured be honest and say who I am...what I am into...and we can all be pals.

hahaha

I gotta run and do some errands...I'll post a few pieces when I get back/

just google 'blasterkid'...you can see a ton of my stuff with an image search right away/
Old 01-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #6
SONICobra
Batman

impressive stuff man, really great work!
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Big welcome to Statueforum!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
Blasterkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
impressive stuff man, really great work!
ah thank you.

I am working on Deadshot/ Katana from Suicide Squad right now (the comic) and finishing issue 3 today in fact) issue 1 just came out today...but I am rushing to get the last couple of pages in for our colorist!

I'll be back...thanks again
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
Blasterkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Big welcome to Statueforum!
thanks. I'd signed up a while back and somehow lost the bookmark or something...you'd think with a name so direct "statue forum" I'd not forget about this place...but I went to sign up about a month back and was already a member

I was like...cool!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
Blasterkid

I'll add up a little art in this post...give me a second...scanning and formatting my last few deadshot pages as I do this.

this is a triple gatefold Jim Lee and I did..."the Trinity" Jim's pencils, my inks..and his colorist Alex Sinclair.

and here's the black and white...which is just Jim and I.

here's Finch and I on a Batman Dark Knight cover (homaging the Kelley Jones classic) I have actually seen a custom statue of this piece which is pretty cool...a bit different than our design but like it's own cool piece.