Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

commission mix up?

Have any of you had an artist get back to you with a prelim or finished piece that was completely not what you requested? I’m not talking about an artistic difference; I mean the characters in question are in the wrong setting, or taking the wrong actions. Or maybe they didn't use the reference picture you had sent? I have recently had two well know artists do this. I'm not going to name any names because it's all resolved and they are both great guys. I also have so much stuff coming in as to protect their anonymity.

I just thought it was odd having it happen back to back like this. I felt bad telling one that had put a good amount of work into the piece that he had to redo it, but it totally wasn't what I asked for. The other I actually kept, because I really liked it and didn’t want two versions. Just wondering if this has happened to any of you.
Sinatra VonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Joe Phillips did a Silver Surfer vs Terrax piece for me but I had requested Silver Surfer vs Thanos. It came out great so I still bought it.

That was the only time it happened to me.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Immovable Blob
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

I expect no commission ends up drawn like anyone imagines it, no matter who descriptive the request is. Of course the wrong characters entirely is hard to excuse, but I suppose it depends on the end result. When I commission I tend to choose a character and leave the rest to the artist; that way I am hopeful that they will invest a little of themselves in it because there is some choice, and ultimately end up with a nice piece. I have only once rejected a commission, but it was hard to do.
Immovable Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
collector49
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I had this happen just this week. But the final product was actually better than what I had requested, so I didn't mind. I think the artist's style has changed since I first bought a commission from him a few years ago, so there's not much I can do about that.
collector49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I ordered a Spider-Woman, and I got Spidergirl instead. He did a Spider-Woman and let me keep both.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I ordered a Spider-Woman, and I got Spidergirl instead. He did a Spider-Woman and let me keep both.
Was the Spidergirl a skrull as well?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Was the Spidergirl a skrull as well?
Spider-Woman says to lick her balls.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

yeah I had a well known artist do a comission for me had told him exactly what I wanted 4 characters poses etc , and when I got it it was missing a character he was like OH well its still a nice piece and I paid extra for each of the characters and he did not offer to do over, fix or gimme back the extra moola for the missing character.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
yeah I had a well known artist do a comission for me had told him exactly what I wanted 4 characters poses etc , and when I got it it was missing a character he was like OH well its still a nice piece and I paid extra for each of the characters and he did not offer to do over, fix or gimme back the extra moola for the missing character.
That's just not right. Who was it?
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
IronFist
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

It's not quite the same thing, but my wife and I recently attended a con, and got sketches from one of those writer/inker/artist guys. Pretty much one of those Jack-of-all-trades kind of guys.

We both handed over our sketchbooks. In mine, he just grabbed it and went to town, never asking if I had a request. My wife handed hers over, requesting a certain character, to which he agreed. And then he just went and drew someone entirely different.

It didn't cost us anything, so we just thanked him and moved on, but I was a bit baffled.
IronFist is offline   Reply With Quote