Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Where do you get your stuff framed?

I normally use my local frame shop for comic art but I took my first 3 Mondo prints to Michaels. The first 3 cost me $140 each. That was with a 2 inch black wood molding, conservation glass and spacers.

They just opened a Hobby Lobby in my area so I stopped in last night to get some pricing. The deals that were telling me seemed incredible. 24x36 posters with 2 mattes and Museum glass for around $200.00. I've never seen such a deal with Museum glass. Heck my local framers was going to charge me $225 for two mattes and that was with conservation glass.

Anyone use Hobby Lobby for custom framing before? I think I'm going to bring my Iron Giant print to them tonight and see how it goes.

Last edited by MONSTER; 11-04-2011 at 02:16 PM.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Aaron Brothers. Most of the time I can buy off the shelf frames and mattes and frame pieces myself.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Do you change out the backing so its acid free?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Indy_Yoda
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I use Hobby Lobby a lot for framing. That seems much lower than what it is here. I have had a few pieces done with museum glass. I think you were probably misquoted. If not that is a great deal and I would jump on it if I were you.
Indy_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Yeah I was shocked when they quoted me that price. If I would have had my prints with me I would have handed them over on the spot.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

In Oregon: Beard's Framing - a FANTASTIC chain of frame shops... weekly email deals, "regular customer" discounts, great staff who know about framing (ie.. they don't just "work there".. they're all well-versed in the industry)... really just a great store in general. They keep everything you've had framed on file there, so they can even suggest motifs, etc.

California - might try a local framer, here in town; Michael's is out, because.. well.. their frames look "cheap" to me. Frameworks in SLO cost me $400 a decade ago when I took my Jim Lee WildC.A.T.S. page in to them, so they're out.. horrible price gouging.

I think there's an Aaron Brothers in nearby San Luis Obispo, so I'll frame one piece here locally, and if I don't like it.. I'll try there. Are their frames/mattes "better quality" than Michael's? I'd think that they'd HAVE to be.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Something Sxy
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I go to a local place called "The Great Frame Up". They are amazing! They aren't the cheapest but they love to work with you to come up with great ideas. The took my MB Baroness Print to the next level with some cool ideas with the framing.

I tried Michaels once or twice but I will never go back. They are way slow, not professional and they definitely don't use a clean room when they frame.
Something Sxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I am somewhat stuck on framing. I have yet to frame anything yet so I keep all my art in Itoyas on my desk – easy enough to flip through on a regular basis. I will have limited wall space so I find it hard to decide what the 5-10 pieces I want to put on the wall will be. I know that I will want to constantly rotate the art on the wall so I find it tough to justify the money on framing when I want to rotate. I am trying to figure out a more temporary concept that I can rotate. Plus, there is always the quandary of spending money or a frame that could be spent on art

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
XMAN
Ultron

I go to a local guy near my job....very convenient. Charges 250.00 for square wood frame with matting plus museum uv glass . Living in NYC nothing is cheap.
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
OpticBlast
Sinister Six

I use Aaron Brothers, i got three frames from them so far and plan to frame future prints with them. They've been really great at the branch I've been going to. I go when they have a 60% off sale, sign up to their newsletter they usually have 40%-50% off sales if you can't wait. A custom frame for a 24x36 print with three mattes and museum glass all acid free materials runs me about 350 after tax. Usually the total dimensions of the frame when finished is about 32x44. You can also bring your print in to do a mock up in advance, come in later when they have a sale and have them use those specifications without dealing with a crowd.
OpticBlast is offline   Reply With Quote