Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please

Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Question Deviant art

Any sculptors here have Deviant Art pages? If so, how does it work and is it worth the effort to set up a membership?

Thanks,

WP
Old 04-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

I set up an account there a while back---

http://monsterpappa.deviantart.com/

It's easy to use, but honestly I've yet to find any real benefit to signing up. I'm not entirely convinced that it's a great venue for reaching out to potential clientel... I've gotten several thousand pageviews and a handful of commission inquiries, but nothing that amounted to much more than a fellow artist wanting a maquette sculpted of one of his/her creations (for pocket change of course). To be honest, I only log in once every couple months, just to make sure I haven't missed any interesting private messages. Of course, if I didn't already have a personal website to serve as an online 'portfolio', I would probably view DA as being invaluable.

It's a good place to meet other like-minded artists though, if that's what you're looking for. Just be prepared to sift through thousands of "how did you make that?" and "your stuff is teh awesome!" comments on a weekly basis.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bergholtz View Post
I set up an account there a while back---

http://monsterpappa.deviantart.com/

It's easy to use, but honestly I've yet to find any real benefit to signing up. I'm not entirely convinced that it's a great venue for reaching out to potential clientel... I've gotten several thousand pageviews and a handful of commission inquiries, but nothing that amounted to much more than a fellow artist wanting a maquette sculpted of one of his/her creations (for pocket change of course). To be honest, I only log in once every couple months, just to make sure I haven't missed any interesting private messages. Of course, if I didn't already have a personal website to serve as an online 'portfolio', I would probably view DA as being invaluable.

It's a good place to meet other like-minded artists though, if that's what you're looking for. Just be prepared to sift through thousands of "how did you make that?" and "your stuff is teh awesome!" comments on a weekly basis.
Sort of the last thing I want, to be honest. On both counts.

I'll think about it some more. I don't have an actual web site. Somebody needs to slap me.

Thanks chum.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
ManthingVT
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet View Post
Sort of the last thing I want, to be honest. On both counts.

I'll think about it some more. I don't have an actual web site. Somebody needs to slap me.)
You're not the only one William. I've rattled on about "geting a website" for years now and need to get one done soon too.

I can see a Deviant Site useful if you need to send potential clients to a place to see your work though- especially if you don't have a full website.

MVT
ManthingVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
hellspawn77
Sculptor
Sculptor

Any easy website to make is a blog like mine: www.claudiosetti.com

Easy to change and update plus search engines will find it easier because of all the words on it...

Granted its not for everyone but it is one option

A web site alone is really not going to get any new clients though but you need to have some sort of presence online now a days... I've never gotten any work from my website to be honest but then again that wasn't what it was geared towards either

A lot of people do comment on how much it has helped them which is the point of my blog...

Claudio
hellspawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Mandragora
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManthingVT View Post
You're not the only one William. I've rattled on about "geting a website" for years now and need to get one done soon too.

I can see a Deviant Site useful if you need to send potential clients to a place to see your work though- especially if you don't have a full website.

MVT
its been really useful for me.

the only downside is that people can't really contact me there . . so i need to give them my page as well as my email.
Mandragora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Professor Oreo
Sculptor
Sculptor

deviantArt is really only good if you're an unestablished nobody like me and want to help get your name out and build a fan base. It does serve as a decent online portfolio as well if you're an html 'tard like me. But other than that it really won't do too much for you.
Professor Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Hey, how could I forget.... Meeting ol' Prof. Oreo has probably been the single most rewarding thing to come out of my DA membership so far.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Professor Oreo
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bergholtz View Post
Hey, how could I forget.... Meeting ol' Prof. Oreo has probably been the single most rewarding thing to come out of my DA membership so far.
Aww shucks... Thanks Andy!!! I'm blushing!!
Professor Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Mandragora
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Oreo View Post
deviantArt is really only good if you're an unestablished nobody like me and want to help get your name out and build a fan base. It does serve as a decent online portfolio as well if you're an html 'tard like me. But other than that it really won't do too much for you.
LOL

i guess that's why it works for me
Mandragora is offline   Reply With Quote