Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #741
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
so with all the crap going on at DC what do you guys think the odds of these things ever actually being used as covers are?

Jim Lee has recently come out and said that they will no longer be used as covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I thought we found information that they did get a tax write-off.
They do get a tax write-off, but you have to understand how it works to understand why it's such a stupid reason.

You can write off the amount, but ONLY a certain amount, and Jim has come out and stated this.

The amount you CAN write off is the amount that you paid OVER the market value. How or where the market value is calculated, i have no idea.

But it's assume someone paid 8k for one of these 9x12 images.

If we look at his commission rate as his market value, than a commission 7k, than you can only write off 1k of that 8k you paid.

And what does a tax write-off do? It lowers your taxable income. If you make 250k a year, than that write-off makes your taxable income 249k.

32% of 250k is 80,000.
32% of 249k is 79,680.

Note: i don't know ---- about taxes, so if I have something wrong about what a tax-write off is, please let me know. That's just my quick understanding of it.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #742
BigLeagueChu
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
Jim Lee has recently come out and said that they will no longer be used as covers.
Where did he say this?
BigLeagueChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #743
SONICobra
Batman

dang that would suck, a lot of those pieces are gorgeous and id be over the moon to own the several of them. but i gotta tell ya id be a little pissed if i had spent huge bucks to buy advertised original cover art only for it to turn out not being on a cover
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:07 AM   #744
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Well if that’s true I’d be seriously pissed because a lot of this art was bid up high in anticipation of them being covers . If it’s true it was all a lie. Not cool at all charity or not!
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #745
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Agree. If I was paying $10k with the expectation it was going to be a cover and now it isn't, I'd be pretty frustrated. While the intention was good, it seems as if Jim was too aggressive with this project. I mean, he could have done 30 prints instead of 60 with some more heavy hitters and raised almost as much money.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #746
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

If he opened up and did Marvel as well it would have made even more money imo. Why limit yourself if it’s for charity ?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #747
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I wonder if he even approached Marvel about that or if he did maybe they said no.

And with his position at DC was probably just much easier for him to have his pic of the DC characters where there might have been less legal paperwork to have to go through
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #748
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post

They do get a tax write-off, but you have to understand how it works to understand why it's such a stupid reason.

You can write off the amount, but ONLY a certain amount, and Jim has come out and stated this.

The amount you CAN write off is the amount that you paid OVER the market value. How or where the market value is calculated, i have no idea.

But it's assume someone paid 8k for one of these 9x12 images.

If we look at his commission rate as his market value, than a commission 7k, than you can only write off 1k of that 8k you paid.

And what does a tax write-off do? It lowers your taxable income. If you make 250k a year, than that write-off makes your taxable income 249k.

32% of 250k is 80,000.
32% of 249k is 79,680.

Note: i don't know ---- about taxes, so if I have something wrong about what a tax-write off is, please let me know. That's just my quick understanding of it.
You can only write off if you itemize deductions and then only if your deductions are more than the standard deduction.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #749
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I wonder if he even approached Marvel about that or if he did maybe they said no.

And with his position at DC was probably just much easier for him to have his pic of the DC characters where there might have been less legal paperwork to have to go through
It’s odd to me as an artist you can’t draw what you want ? I mean the money was being given away so....

I’m sure there was good reason it would have been cool to see him do a whole bunch of diff characters .
Old 09-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #750
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
It’s odd to me as an artist you can’t draw what you want ? I mean the money was being given away so....

I’m sure there was good reason it would have been cool to see him do a whole bunch of diff characters .
I wouldn’t think that it would matter either since it is going to charity but you just kind of never know about the inner workings and the politics involved

I think it would’ve been nice that if both DC and Marvel would have worked together and maybe had Jim Lee do drawings and whoever marvel considers to be one of their top artists do drawings as well all for the same charity
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote