Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #271
7th and Tef
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Wonder what they'll choose as the variant? I guess we'll see in the next year or six

Don't worry they take this one and just change the color and that is gonna be the variant XD
7th and Tef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #272
Darkheir
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Oh my word. We wait god knows how many years for a brown suit Wolverine. And then, this happens? I for one am definitely NOT aware that the legendary Kirk Douglas ever played Logan during his career. So why on earth have Sideshow decided to go down this route and do such a ridiculous caricature of him?!

On every level, both these portraits are so awful that they actually RUIN the statue. Not only do they look utterly bizarre (to the point of being almost non-human) but the actual quality of sculpting is extremely poor. Especially compared to previous SS Wolverine efforts. I just can't understand how these portraits were approved at the creative stage. Perhaps Igo could shed some light on it? With all the forum voices clamoring their disapproval, it would be good to get his perspective.

It's a HUGE shame, because the rest of the statue is actually pretty damn nice. Logan's pose is impressively threatening with real presence. And I really like the oriental bridge-themed base - although it's a real shame that SS decided to add that ugly grey eyesore at the bottom. It really detracts from the rest of the scene. And at this price point, simply not good enough.

So close, and yet so very far...
Darkheir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #273
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkheir View Post
Oh my word. We wait god knows how many years for a brown suit Wolverine. And then, this happens? I for one am definitely NOT aware that the legendary Kirk Douglas ever played Logan during his career. So why on earth have Sideshow decided to go down this route and do such a ridiculous caricature of him?!

On every level, both these portraits are so awful that they actually RUIN the statue. Not only do they look utterly bizarre (to the point of being almost non-human) but the actual quality of sculpting is extremely poor. Especially compared to previous SS Wolverine efforts. I just can't understand how these portraits were approved at the creative stage. Perhaps Igo could shed some light on it? With all the forum voices clamoring their disapproval, it would be good to get his perspective.

It's a HUGE shame, because the rest of the statue is actually pretty damn nice. Logan's pose is impressively threatening with real presence. And I really like the oriental bridge-themed base - although it's a real shame that SS decided to add that ugly grey eyesore at the bottom. It really detracts from the rest of the scene. And at this price point, simply not good enough.

So close, and yet so very far...
+1, the faces are ugly
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #274
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I absolutely love everything about this piece...except the heads I can appreciate the channelling of the old Miller books but the translation into 3D is not to my taste. That coupled with the price has me out on this one.

Once again I am happy that I have the Villafane Comiquette as it still rocks the best headsculpts on a Wolverine statue imho. Crappy base, but amazing headsculpts.

Last edited by Matches Malone; 06-26-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #275
HBK83
The Avengers

I personally think other than a few customs, this is the best commercial piece of wolverine I have seen in recent years, but to each his own. They did an amazing job with the details, just need a full reveal on the sabretooth
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #276
blackjack
Hellboy

I didn't buy the first one since I hate the mixed media on statutes. Pre-order this brown version.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #277
Duke
Birdman

I absolutely love the brown Wolverine costume and love the included Muramasa blade, I've sent multiple emails to different companies hoping that they would one day include it! Just like so many others, I love everything about this piece EXCEPT the price, no arm hair? and head sculpts!
I'm no sculptor, they are great, better then anything I could ever do, but the faces just seem off and not up to par with the rest of the statue and the head sculpts released previously and those from other companies. I think it's the mouths. I like the hair for the unmasked sculpt a lot, but not the mouth. I'm torn... not sure if I want to pre order... I hear others getting a new portrait later but with these prices now, that's just too much.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #278
jasong888
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

the face looks like he's trying to smile and snarl at the same time. easy pass.
jasong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #279
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Marvel has to approve it too...
Very true but first the TPTB at Sideshow have to sign off on the piece as being what they want to send to Marvel for approval. The fact that Sideshow approved these head sculpts is mind boggling to me especially considering the much better head sculpts they have done on previous Wolverine pieces. I would be much more forgiving if the unmasked head sculpt was a miss but the masked one hit all the right marks since I would be displaying the masked one anyway but in this case both head sculpts aren't good enough to be displayed and in no way capture Logan the way they should imo.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #280
gomur
The Tick

I don't mind the Brown Wolverine heads myself, but they could be improved. It's sad that SS doesn't allow for changes to be made in their process when these pics are revealed. The only change I can remember being made were the portraits for Psylocke, and I don't think it was due to fan outcry but something internal.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote