Starfire (v2) Cover Girls Statue by DC Colletibles

Starfire Cover Girls – DC Collectibles
Designed by Stanley “Artgerm” Lau.
Sculpted by Jack Matthews.
Stands at approximately 11.5” high.
Limited edition size of 5200.
RRP: $99.95 USD

Intro.
The DC Cover Girls are ever growing with this latest release: Koriand’r of Tamaran, better known as Starfire.

Stafire is an admittedly odd choice with the current line up. She’s not really connected to any of the other characters – but hey, Mera was in the same category of ‘non-Gotham/non-Birds of Prey members’ and she turned out to be a great addition.

Regardless, this is Starfire’s second time in the Cover Girls line, having previously been featured among one of Adam Hughes’ later statues.

Let’s see how this new addition does.

Sculpt. 7.0
Jack Mathews returns to sculpt for the Cover Girls. As usual, he does quite a nice job. There are issues with the pose, but I’ll discuss these in the ‘Design’ section. There are quite a lot of nice little details: the hands came out nicely, the armor looks great and her face is sculpted quite well, albeit a little expressionless.

Her hair is incredible towards the bottom and on the base. The clear media turned out wonderful, but the hair towards the top does lack that same detail.

Paint. 7.0
The paintjob is overall rather nice on this piece. Her body turned out great, as did the metallic points in her armour and shoes. Her face is lacking some details however, especially the eyes, but I guess since her character has the solid eye colour they are kind of stuck.

Her skin tone is quite smooth too. It isn't perhaps the nicest or most accurate shade of red, but it has been applied rather well and even.

The paint lines are also quite nice, with lots of sharp edges and clean cuts. There isn't any noticeable overlapping or smudges, so that's a definitely a plus.

The fire on the base looks really great. Like Mera’s water on her base, it’s clear. I’m a big fan of this addition to both the bases of Mera and Starfire. For Starfire, in particular, the fire almost shines in the light. It really adds to an otherwise average piece.

The fire towards the top of her hair could use some work, however. It does look a little too thick and could have used some finer details.

Design. 4.0
Artgerm’s art looks wonderful as always, however, I feel that he may have missed the point with this one. Obviously he knows sculptors are using the design to work on a statue, so perhaps a more realistic design for a statue would have been more appropriate.

The fire might have worked a little better if it twister around her body like the artwork, but realistically that might have been difficult to do well for a statue in this price range and scale.

Also the pose suffers from trying to recreate the artwork too closely. I think Mathews could have benefited if he had added his own personal twist to it – we all know he has the talent.

Production and Build Quality. 8.0
Despite the statues flaws, the quality control seems to be quite good on this one, especially considering the seeming fragility of the hair. However, the hair is sculpted quite strongly, and the entire statue is one piece – no need to struggle to put her in position like Mera!

Overall. 6.5.
Starfire is a great statue, from sculptwork to paintjob and to production. She really is wonderfully built. However, the main issue with this statue is the overall unimpressive pose. Whether we think Artgerm should have done a more realistic pose, or whether we think Mathews should have changed it up a bit more, the final production piece is rather uninspired – which is an even bigger shame considering how well done the statue is physically made.

What do you guys think about the piece? And which do you prefer out of this Artgerm or Adam Hughes’ Starfire?

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 AM   #2
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Bonus photos!

Starfire and Mera/Fire and Water.
See how nice those bases are?!

Aaaand some fun group shots:

They do look rather odd when you place the bases in the same position.

And FINALLY, I’ll leave you with a teaser for my next review:
Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

That's a nice looking piece.
Thanks for posting pics.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
dechirico7
The Flash

Great review.
I agree on the pose. With all the other girls, it kind of looks like she is waving at someone.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
gomur
The Tick

It came out better than expected. I love the base's transition from clear resin up to her hair. My biggest issue is her arms. Someone get her a sandwich because they look like pencils!

I prefer the Adam Hughes statue myself. Loved the proportions more and especially the classic costume. But this one came out better than I expected.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote