Zatanna Bombshells – DC Collectibles

Designed by Ant Lucia.

Sculpted by Tim Miller.

Stands at approximately 10.4" high.

Limited edition size of 5200.
RRP: 124.95 USD.

"Ssertssim fo cigam!"

Intro.
The Bombshell line continues with this latest release: magical sorceress, Zatanna Zatara! The pin-up style is once again designed by emerging artist, Ant Lucia, who DC seems to have taken a real liking to.

The line is going strong. Really strong, in fact. We’ve had Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Batgirl, Black Canary, Stargirl, Harley Quinn again (Christmas variant) and now Zatanna. Arriving next month is Hawkgirl, and Mera, Lois Lane and Batwoman are arriving later in the year. DC released a video showcasing the long process behind the making of this line, which you can check out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fysFQEP3EsA

And back to Zatanna:

Sculpt. 8.5
Tim Miller returns to sculpt this piece, having done most of the other pieces. There’s a lot to like about the scultpwork. The costume is wonderfully done, with the corset having exceptional detail. The hair and hat is also nicely done. The clear, magical smoke looks fantastic as well, and really adds some “oomph” to the piece. My favourite part, however, is the little John Constantine-turned-rabbit. He is adorable! The fun part about this statue is it’s almost a diorama, with a whole scene playing out.

However, as much as I love the work, I think the face didn’t come out as nicely as it could have. She has a great little smirk, but her eyes seem rather large and it kind of throws me off. Now that I’ve mentioned it, I also noticed that Hawkgirl, Mera and Batwoman seem to suffer from the larger eyes. Maybe Miller saw Tim Burton’s “Big Eyes” movie and was a little too inspired by it.

Paint and Mixed Media. 8.0
Zatanna came out with a wonderfully even paint job. Lot’s of clean cuts and solid colours. Although she’s got a mostly black costume, there are some nice shades of colours that really work well together. There is, however, a little sloppiness here and there, but it's usually a tiny bit over a line that's hardly noticeable unless you're reaaaally looking for it.

The clear-ish resin used for the smoke is also wonderfully done, similar to Mera and Starfire’s bases from the Cover Girls line. The Constantine-rabbit is also painted nicely, which was a nice surprising considering they didn’t raise the price for the added parts of the statue.

Design. 8.0
I’ve really bee enjoying the pin-up works of Ant Lucia, and I think with Zatanna, he does a wonderful job capturing the essence of the character while taking it back in time for a 40’s theme. However, I’m such a fan of her classic costume, it’s hard to see Zatanna in anything different.

The following photo contains an image of the initial prototype shown. The smoke in the final product differs, as it only raises straight up, and not into her wand.

It is kind of a shame to see the smoke reduced so heavily from the artwork, ESPECIALLY considering it was actually there for the initial prototypes. I guess DC needed to cut some costs so the smoke is a lot smaller in the final piece.

Production and Build Quality. 7.5
The statue is built quite nicely and is quite strong. There are a few fragile points. Firstly the little wand in her hand is prone to breakage, so watch out there. Secondly, the tip of the smoke is reaaaaaaaally fragile. Mine’s actually a little cracked and is close to breaking off, but isn’t noticeable enough for me to worry just yet.

Overall. 8.0
Zatanna is a charming choice for this line and she has come out very nicely. She fits in, thematically, with the rest of the girls and adds some real variety to an otherwise very bright cast of characters.

The sculpt and paintwork is wonderfully done, and the piece is great value once you consider how it’s almost like a small diorama that’s staging a scene without an increased price. I would highly recommend you pick one of these up to go along with Black Canary – they seem to play off each other quite nicely and the recent Bruce Timm story, ‘Bloodspell’, has shown me what a great team the two of them are.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you like this addition to the Bombshells? Are you still collecting them, or have you given up? Who else are you hoping shows up as a future Bombshell?

While everything here is great, I can’t help but mention that it isn’t on par with the other popular Zatanna statue: the Cover Girls by Adam Hughes, which is truly a character defining statue.

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Group shots:

Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Vault Boy
Doh!

Thanks for the review. I already bought the statue, but I enjoyed reading your take on it. The Zatanna statue is one that really needs to be seen in person to truly appreciate it due to all the small details. Unfortunately mine had a defect, the chest tattoo was really off center so I'm waiting for my replacement from Entertainment Earth.

This line is fantastic, and it brought me to this site and to statue collecting in general.
Vault Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
jetpacksam
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Exceptional review. My understanding is that due to shipping and breaking concerns, the was better that the smoke not be attached to the wand.
jetpacksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I really like the unique take on classic characters in this bombshell line. Another excellent and informative review, Dahwaf!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #6
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Nice photos.

Has the factory made any improvements in the packaging design to protect the nameplate? The fragile nameplates have been the Achilles heel of this line.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
dechirico7
The Flash

That really sucks about the smoke. I didn't notice that.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:25 AM   #8
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Nice photos.

Has the factory made any improvements in the packaging design to protect the nameplate? The fragile nameplates have been the Achilles heel of this line.
I think only Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Ivy had issues with the nameplates.

However I have bought most of mine from my local comic store and they're obviously not going to hand me over a broken one, so I can't really say how safe these are during shipping.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
dechirico7
The Flash

"Anyway, what do you guys think? Do you like this addition to the Bombshells? Are you still collecting them, or have you given up? Who else are you hoping shows up as a future Bombshell?

While everything here is great, I can’t help but mention that it isn’t on par with the other popular Zatanna statue: the Cover Girls by Adam Hughes, which is truly a character defining statue."

I think this line is great. It is obviously doing well, or we wouldn't be 11+ pieces into this line. Honestly, I have a few from this line, not all. But it is due to having so many other lines that I am invested in. If this line would have came out before bishoujos, I'd definitely have invested way more into it. I am a huge Tim Miller fan and I really love that they are having him do this line. IMO, he is one of the few that would be able to pull these off.

I'd like to see Catwoman, a standing Poison Ivy, Raven (how hot would that be?!), Starfire....

The Hughes line was gold, especially the Catwoman and Zatanna pieces. I don't know much that can live up to how great that small line was. DC has had issues with keeping the Cover Girls line strong. I still think it needs a lot of work. I think the Bombshells are better than all the Cover Girl pieces after the Hughes versions.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Fantastic review, Dahwaf! This piece and this line are excellent. I love the playfulness of each piece. They are really sexy.

I also agree, the Adam Hughes Zatanna is the best there is. A gorgeous representation well deserving of its crazy price tag in the aftermarket.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote