Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
alexeicrow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Clear Coat info

HI All,

I was wondering if you guys clear your peices once they are done. I know that it protects the paint, but since where i live we dont g et testor's dulcoat, i as considering using matt acrylic varnish. Is this safe? I am using Valejo acrylic paints at the moment.

any info would help lot

Thanks
Alexeicrow
alexeicrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Jesse321
Galactus

Clear coating/sealing a piece is absolutely vital, as essential as priming a kit before painting. It helps prevent dings, scratches and pealing of paint over time.

If you can find Krylon Matt Finish in your area use that. Just spray very lightly layered coats from a distance of at least 1 foot away so that the sealer doesn't blot or drip, and allow the sealer to cure for at least 15 to 20 minutes between coats.

It might help if you were to post some of the brand names that are available in your area, rather than just a general description.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
alexeicrow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

the main brand i can get and i have is Talens
Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
alexeicrow

This is the info of the product

Acrylic varnish matt bottle 75 ml

Purpose: Durable protection of an oil and acrylic painting (final varnish)
Composition: Acrylic resin, turpentine, white spirit
Qualities:
For oil colours: apply when paint film has completely dried (6 to 12 months depending on the paint film thickness)
Dries in a few hours
Does not yellow
More flexible than Picture varnish glossy
Produces high gloss (lower gloss than Picture varnish glossy)
The gloss can be reduced by mixing with Acrylic picture varnish matt 115
Removable with mild solvents
Can be thinned with white spirit or turpentine
Flammable
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Jesse321
Galactus

Not familiar with that brand name, so the only thing that I can advise is to test it on a spare piece/model that you've built up using the same materials, paints etc. that you don't care about first.

It would be lousy to spray it on a finished model that's already done, and it ruins the paint job.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
alexeicrow

Dear Jesse,

That is actually what i was considering. I have a broken peice and was going to test it on it.

Normally how mant coats does one apply to completely seal a piece
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Jesse321
Galactus

I usually do 2 or 3 light coats with my Garage Kits Sealer.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
alexeicrow

will give it a try tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out

Thanks
alexeicrow
Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
alexeicrow

Jesse,

Hope you read this.

I did try the matt varnish but i did not like it at all. It smelled bad and very sticky. Plus it is for oil paintings so i am unsure if this would work. I saw that the paint became weak at places (not seperated), but like it thinned a lot. If i applied it on a good model i would have made a lot of damage.

On a positive note i have found Valleji Acrylic Matte Varnish Permanent. This is from the same range of the paint colours i use so it should at least be compatible.

This is the product description:

Matte Varnish

Waterbased acrylic varnish with new, quick drying formula, and an acrylic resin of extraordinary hardness and permanence. Protects painted models from dust and scratches, dirt and humidity. Acrylic Varnish should never be applied until the paint has dried completely (see note), and it is recommended to wait at least 24 hours. Varnish should be applied in fine coats at approximately four hours’ intervals.

Presentation:
70.520 Varnish Matte 17 ml.
26.518 Matt Varnish 60 ml.

Problem is I am out of models damaged models now, so will have to give it a go on a good one.

Fingers crossed

Alexeicrow