Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #31
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Man even more artists are ragging on him for his photoshopped long line. I almost feel sorry for him at this point
he is getting destroyed .... with social media today this kind of thing doesn't take long to blow up

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #32
Underdog07
Hercules

Best course would have been to apologize and publicly state it was a misunderstanding on his/RW's part. The response instead makes them seem pretty indefensible. We are to believe that the show assigned tables, listed them in a program, and probably put them on a few big guidepost boards but then despite all of that, assigned 3 of those tables to Suydam as planned? That's so illogical my head hurts.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #33
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Best course would have been to apologize and publicly state it was a misunderstanding on his/RW's part. The response instead makes them seem pretty indefensible. We are to believe that the show assigned tables, listed them in a program, and probably put them on a few big guidepost boards but then despite all of that, assigned 3 of those tables to Suydam as planned? That's so illogical my head hurts.
You dare question the motives of the great Soo-DAMN?!?!?!

CAF
Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #34
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

After reading all the Mark Waid tweets I almost think it would be worth the price of admission to see those 2 square off

CAF
Old 07-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #35
ambasah
Red Skull

I just don't get why the artists didn't speak to one of the organizers at the con.

I am a part-time dealer myself and do the big shows in the Toronto area. I have seen some dealers try to eat up a bit of my space in the past (move their table into my area) and if they don't fix it after I nicely mention it, I just go straight to the organizer to get it resolved.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #36
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

"what do you mean you took my table?"

"this is what I'm going to do to you!"
Attached Thumbnails
waid.jpg   mwaid_toys.jpg  
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #37
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Keep in mind Witterstaetter is the same art agent who helped Michael Golden pull off his "Patience is a Virue" scheme years ago. I'm not at all surprised that she would spin this to put the blame on the con no matter how ridiculous her claims are. This woman has no ethics at all.

Quote:
I just don't get why the artists didn't speak to one of the organizers at the con.

I am a part-time dealer myself and do the big shows in the Toronto area. I have seen some dealers try to eat up a bit of my space in the past (move their table into my area) and if they don't fix it after I nicely mention it, I just go straight to the organizer to get it resolved.
I think a lot depends on the following:

1. Who does the con value more, Suydam or the people he's poaching from? If the con organizers think Suydam's the more valuable artist or he's got connections to them, they're going to back him no matter how reprehensible his behavior is.

2. If Suydam's reputation for bullying and threatening other creators holds true, it's understandable that some would be too afraid to risk crossing him, particularly the lesser-known/indie creators. Rachel Richey admitted as much. Besides, if Suydam's this much of a prima donna, what's to stop him from trying to get the creators he steals from booted from the con if they put up resistance? They may just not want to risk Suydam screwing them over even worse.

This really is a situation where raising hell on social media is the only way to put a stop to the problem. Otherwise I don't see cons doing anything about it. It took public shaming to wake up con organizers to Rob Granito, and I think that's what it's going to take here.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #38
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Completely agree with Bill, social media is the way to go on this. The fact that it hasn’t blown up to date has probably given AS a false sense of security (to go with his sense of entitlement) that he can continue his tactics going forward. There appears to be a history of this happening so there is not reason to think that he would stop on his own. I have often wondered how he managed such large setups when I see him at cons but I have always written it off to the notion that the zombie thing must be pretty lucrative. Knowing that he is stealing the space explains why he routinely has larger setups than many higher profile artists – it all makes sense now. The photoshopped images are hysterical (and a little pathetic).

CAF
Old 07-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #39
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Man even more artists are ragging on him for his photoshopped long line. I almost feel sorry for him at this point
those pics on Twitter have had me cracking up

on a side note...is it bad that prior to all this nonsense, I've never even heard of this guy? Thought he was just some dork who made prints of others work and cashed in on their success. After reading his personal bio though, he convinced me to give up my God and strictly follow him
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #40
Behold Gravitas
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
those pics on Twitter have had me cracking up

on a side note...is it bad that prior to all this nonsense, I've never even heard of this guy? Thought he was just some dork who made prints of others work and cashed in on their success. After reading his personal bio though, he convinced me to give up my God and strictly follow him
Get in (the photoshopped) line.
Behold Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote