Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #981
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Ss should just have their own factories with top talents like p1. This wat all statues comes out top notch all
The times.
The cost of buying and maintaining a factory would be huge
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #982
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
You could, if you pay for the batches sepatately. But that doesn't really pay off fot the buyer. Becsuse if you sign a contract the price is also locked in. If you do separate contracts they could raise the price midstream
Yeah, one of Sideshow's main priorities contract wise is without a doubt locking in a particular price. If they did contracts on a batch by batch basis, they could see price increases mid production, which means they would either have to accept less of a profit for the rest of that statues production or increase prices. Since we have seen prices on statues that remain on the market a very long time like Superman get raised, its likely worded in the contract that the price will remain at a particular level for X amount of statues (the stated edition size) or X amount of time (likely 2+ years) before the factories have the right to increase prices.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #983
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
You could, if you pay for the batches sepatately. But that doesn't really pay off fot the buyer. Becsuse if you sign a contract the price is also locked in. If you do separate contracts they could raise the price midstream
But that's exactly what happened with the trinity. The new batch for each character came out with an extra $50 tacked on. Made me think those batches must've been under new contracts.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #984
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

...or they just wanted $50 extra dollars per statue.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #985
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
But that's exactly what happened with the trinity. The new batch for each character came out with an extra $50 tacked on. Made me think those batches must've been under new contracts.
That could be what happened, but I can't say, I mean that extra $50 could be for anything that's raised in price.

All I'm saying is it doesn't make sense to do separate contracts for the same statue to get made. You get breaks on materials and costs and spread the mold tooling over a greater number of pieces.

Which by the way is one of the most expensive things. Mold tooling is stupid expensive. So much so that I'm actually starting to think that we're going to have to make our project ourselves instead of outsourcing it anywhere.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #986
Xaerius
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
This topic has already been addressed in the past by Sideshow. Sideshow completes all of thier editions. Only a couple of times in Sideshow's entire history has an edition been halted before completion and they wound up going back and completing them later on. I forget exactly why, but I think it was with the Star Wars Mythos line. So the idea that Sideshow just ceases production of an edition if sales start slowing is just completely incorrect. They complete all of thier editions so the stated edition sizes are 100% accurate. So Sideshow sold 4500 of the initial Red Sonja PF and if this is the final batch on She Devil with a Sword, then Sideshow has now sold 4500 of those statues as well. So that's 9000 Red Sonja statues in total over the last few years, unless they have another batch coming for She Devil with a Sword.
While you may be correct, it is also possible that your conclusion is based upon conjecture. Contracts and business models change over time and simply because something was contracted out a particular way at one point in time does not mean that things have not changed or that there are different contractual stipulations for different pieces. It is highly unlikely that a company like Sideshow utilizes a one-size-fits-all cookie-cutter contract in dealing with all of their pieces; in fact, I'm sure there are a lot of different legalities depending on the company, character, etc.. To believe that they complete the full runs for every single statue does not seem realistic although it may be true.

With that being said, you've also pointed to times that batches were stopped and then completed several months later. You are correct that they did that with the Mythos Vader and Mythos Obi-Wan. Other companies have stopped production after a certain number of batches (that were likely mandatory in the contractual agreement) and without going anywhere near the specified edition size of the piece in question.

Personally, it makes little difference to me whether they sold all 9000 pieces or not and it seems we are taking this speculation completely off-topic since none of us are privy to the legal documents in question nor would we be able to discuss them if we were.

Let us get back to talking about this magnificent piece and hoping that they give us a fair price this time around (instead of doing what they did with Lady Deadpool, as beautiful as it is).
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #987
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerius View Post
While you may be correct, it is also possible that your conclusion is based upon conjecture. Contracts and business models change over time and simply because something was contracted out a particular way at one point in time does not mean that things have not changed or that there are different contractual stipulations for different pieces. It is highly unlikely that a company like Sideshow utilizes a one-size-fits-all cookie-cutter contract in dealing with all of their pieces; in fact, I'm sure there are a lot of different legalities depending on the company, character, etc.. To believe that they complete the full runs for every single statue does not seem realistic although it may be true.

With that being said, you've also pointed to times that batches were stopped and then completed several months later. You are correct that they did that with the Mythos Vader and Mythos Obi-Wan. Other companies have stopped production after a certain number of batches (that were likely mandatory in the contractual agreement) and without going anywhere near the specified edition size of the piece in question.

Personally, it makes little difference to me whether they sold all 9000 pieces or not and it seems we are taking this speculation completely off-topic since none of us are privy to the legal documents in question nor would we be able to discuss them if we were.

Let us get back to talking about this magnificent piece and hoping that they give us a fair price this time around (instead of doing what they did with Lady Deadpool, as beautiful as it is).
If you want to think Sideshow is blatantly lying to all of their customers/fans then that is certainly your right. Were all entitled to our opinions. Personally, until someone is able to supply proof of the allegations that Sideshow doesnt complete all of their editions, I will take the word of Igo and Sideshow that they have completed all editions up to this point. Given the popularity in the high end statute market and the rate at which the VAST majority of Sideshow statues have sold out, I have absolutely no reason to even suspect that Sideshow is being dishonest and isn't capable of selling the number of statues it states it has created and I don't believe Igo would blatantly lie to the people on this forum. Again, if you want to think otherwise then that is certainly your right.

As for the contract situation, there are a 1000 different ways these contracts could be written up and at the end of the day you will never be able to prove anything one way or the other since such contracts aren't made public. That being said, signing contracts for full editions makes FAR more sense and its mutually beneficial as it allows Sideshow to lock in a price for an entire edition and the factory gets the guarantee that Sideshow is going to create the full edition. I cant think of a single benefit for Sideshow for doing contracts on a batch by batch basis, especially if it is true that Sideshow completes all of thier editions, which again is what Igo has stated is the case on these boards. Contracts on a batch by batch basis only adds risk and uncertainty for Sideshow. And given how much business Sideshow gives many of these factories, I don't buy for a second that they would risk losing Sideshow as a client by forcing Sideshow to do contracts on a batch by batch basis. If people want to think otherwise then again, they are certainly entitled to those opinions. Any discussion on this topic is going to be nothing but opinions and that is my opinion on this topic. It would literally take seeing the contract with my own eyes to believe Sideshow is signing contracts for its statues on a batch by batch basis.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #988
Xaerius
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
If you want to think Sideshow is blatantly lying to all of their customers/fans then that is certainly your right...until someone is able to supply proof of the allegations that Sideshow doesnt complete all of their editions, I will take the word of Igo and Sideshow that they have completed all editions up to this point.

As for the contract situation, there are a 1000 different ways these contracts could be written up and at the end of the day you will never be able to prove anything one way or the other since such contracts aren't made public...Any discussion on this topic is going to be nothing but opinions and that is my opinion on this topic.
It was not stated that Sideshow was "lying" to anyone. As per what you said in your second paragraph, you have validated my original point without realizing it. It matters little to me whether edition sizes were or were not fully completed but, as you have stated, the possibility exists that there are different contracts for different pieces. It doesn't have to be black and white as there so many different ways to write up contracts including clauses that would ensure a specific price as long as a certain percentage of pieces are guaranteed to be produced. Whatever the contractual agreements that Sideshow enters into, you are correct that it is not something that would ever be made public so even those that do know would not be privy to disclose that information.
Xaerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #989
ukshaun
Hercules

It appears Sideshow Live is about to show Red Sonja
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #990
johnclone
The Enchantress

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red.PNG