Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

SuPERTHnova 2013

After so many text messages and facebook notifications, here's is my loooooooong awaited reported on Perth Supanova 2013.
I flew out from Melbourne on Friday and landed in time to be picked up by Wrothy and go straight to the convention centre to collect tickets and have a bit of a wander opening night. George Perez had a masterclass which unfortunately we couldn't stick around for but it certainly looked interesting. Perhaps another new forum member who went could shed some light on what went down...
We left on Saturday whilst it was still dark and were basically the first in line. One thing I'll say now about the convention is that it seemed like Perth wanted to try something different - artists, voice actors and media celebs were ALL against a far wall of the pavillion, whilst the Exhibitors were by and large in the adjoining hall. I'm interested to know what the feedback is, but from a fan's point of view (specifically a comic art fan), it was awesome. Loads of free space to stretch out across and just loiter around.

I was able to be in pole position with Mark due to a happy accident; we saw people walking into the venue around a corner from which Wrothy, myself and our two lovely lady companions ( ) were lining up at. I checked it out and they weren't exhibitors or VIPs, so we all just followed the crowd and went in. This was about 35min before the official start time, and I think it was because they wanted to see if they could thin out the crowd a little and allow people to line up inside the convention hall specifically to buy photo/auto tickets. In any case, I made my request with Mark and his awesome wife Lisa and did everything I could to leave a good impression.

I had lined up a piece with George and was very happy with it. Yes it's safe and a little boring and yes, George does enjoy a bit of a challenge, but I don't think I could call myself a Batman fan if I didn't have a nice splashy piece from a legend.

The pics of art will come at the end, just so you have to keep reading
George is a great guy, but you should all know that by now. I heard that some guy was there to collect a precon piece as well but through some miscommunications, it wasn't done. George was so embarrassed and apologetic that he offered the guy a 50% discount to complete it, and also gave him a Wonder Woman headsketch which someone didn't pick up.

One of my jobs for the convention, aside from getting that elusive Brooks piece, was to be art mule for some East coast Aussies. Alex Saviuk is a name I must admit I wasn't too familiar with, but I had some art to collect from him and after seeing what he produced and being won over by his personality, I put my name down for something to be added to my Bat-book. That was pretty much the end of day 1, I normally would wander around and creep out the female cosplayers a little, but since I was only a visitor, I thought I better be on my best behaviour. For dinner, I got to enjoy a beautiful home-cooked meal with Wrothy's family. How good was it? Well let's just say that Wrothy's poor dog didn't even have much of the bones to enjoy afterward.

blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
blink90210

Day 2, Mr. Saviuk was one of the first artists to arrive. Whilst waiting around, he called me out by name to say that he had completed my piece. What an absolute professional he is, I highly recommend you get something from him if you have the chance, but don't be silly like me and request it at the con, do what Wrothy did and get the full colour treatment. Take a look at his Etrigan and you'll agree with me.

Shortly thereafter, I was able to have my wish fulfilled and get my Huntress from Mark!

This was Mark's first Huntress, hopefully when those sharks at Marvel forget to renew his contract, the guys at DC will stop making above-average movies and snap this guy up. Could you imagine a Birds of Prey book done by this guy? If Mark and Lisa were total d-bags, I would still love this piece but as it turns out, they are some of the most down-to-earth and sociable people, and it's clear that they are quality over quantity sort of folk. Hopefully we can get him over to our side of Australia sooner rather than later. And yes, I'm still gonna make you wait until you see the pic up close.

That was pretty much everything I had set out to do on my trip, on a bit of a high, I decided to do the Perez line and see if I could get a contribution in my Bat-book from him as well. He had the time, and commented that he had not sketched a Joker for a while and that he was just about due for one. Who am I to argue?

After taking a photo of our Perez-sandwhich, Wrothy and I went to check out the artist sketch-off. I'm not sure if this is a common event, but basically it's sketching for 30min on a theme and character as voted on by the audience, before picking a winner by way of applause and raffling off the art. Lots of fun, I thought it was a fantastic way for everyone to get a look at how 3 very different artists work their magic

The subject for the event was Vampirella...

And the winner was....

Alex Saviuk! Apologies for the lack of detail on the pieces.

So all in all, it was well worth taking the time off work and enjoying a convention on the other side of the country. I must thank my gracious host Stephen - he may have an affinity to Etrigan, however he's anything but a demon. I'd like to think that even if I didn't achieve obtaining my grail, I would have found the trip worthwhile just to spend the weekend with him and his loving family.

It was also great making new friends there like MrSinister, I'm not sure if it says something about me, but O find that "convention friends" are almost always the best kind of friends. They'll bust your balls, argue with you about pop culture and embarrass you in front of the artists, yet they'll help you out in lines and do everything they can to make sure you get everything you can. It's taken me this weekend to have my faith restored in humanity, with guys like Doc and Rocket checking in from a different timezone back home to make sure that everything is ok, and seeing how things were looking with Mark. It's rare to have even one friend who would be that selfless, I am truly blessed to say that I have a few so thank you very much from the bottom of my cynical heart.

Also a shout out to Royd, I didn't get a picture with him as he was actually a very busy man over the weekend. I don't want to ruin the illusion too much, but as someone who works behind the scenes with the artist, this guy actually has a TON of stuff that needs to be done to ensure everything runs as planned.

So all's well that ends well, right? Well...

Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
blink90210

And now the moment you've all been waiting for.

Another classic by Perez

Alex Saviuk working his magic on a classic Batgirl. I dig the sillhouette and the bats in the back.

George tapping into his evil side. I didn't think he had it in him to creep me out so much.

The thing that made it worth taking the time off work, the cost of airfare, the inconvenience of being sandwhiched between the crying baby and fat mouthbreather for 4hrs and waiting almost 3 years.

I'm going back to sleep now, that face on Huntress will be in my dreams tonight.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Rocket
Art of Mod

MASSIVE congrats mate, so damn happy for you!!!

That euphoric feeling of obtaining what you set out for...there's nothing like it!!

Something did catch my eye though.... you mentioned in the run down that you "missed out again on a Dodson earlier this year"......huh? LOL Not only did you get a Dodson, but I now realise, you havent shared it with everyone here!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
Peasant
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Congrats dude!!! Awesome haul.
Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Always happy to play host to you Ken. Glad you had a great time, and congrats on your pickups, especially the Brooks piece.

And I hope I didn't leave any lasting marks on your neck!
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #7
jollyskeleton

Congrats Ken!! Thank you for sharing your con experience! It seems like everything worked very nicely for you and just fell into place!

The pieces look fantastic, and especially that Huntress and Joker!
The artist sketchoff must have been most impressive too

ps. Dinner by Mrs Wroth looks most yummy!
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
alex13
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Great pieces, the Brooks is amazing!!
alex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
fred flintstone
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
MASSIVE congrats mate, so damn happy for you!!!

That euphoric feeling of obtaining what you set out for...there's nothing like it!!

Something did catch my eye though.... you mentioned in the run down that you "missed out again on a Dodson earlier this year"......huh? LOL Not only did you get a Dodson, but I now realise, you havent shared it with everyone here!!

Great haul ken but I agree with Rod
Where is the pic I sent you of your Wonder Woman from Dodson I picked up for you in gold coast????
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Looks like you had a fun time at the con and with Wrothy! Congrats on a great Brooks piece!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote