Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 05-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Disney showcase collection: "Maleficent - Couture de Force" - StatueForum review

Disney showcase collection (produced by Enesco): "Maleficent - Couture de Force" statue from the classic animated theatrical release: Sleeping Beauty (Disney, 1959). The "couture de force" line of fully sculpted and hand-painted statues features a reimagining of Disney's famous princesses and infamous vampy villains in designer haute couture.

Who better than the mistress of evil, Maleficent, to take part in launching this fabulous new line of statues? Embellished with faceted gems, opalescent paint, glitter, air-brush paint techniques and stylized floral and lace patterning, Maleficent looks as stunning as she does villainous. Made of stone resin, hand-painted, this sculpture stands 8.5 inches tall. Available at Amazon or made to order through most Hallmark and Disney shops. Available at Amazon or made to order through most Hallmark and Disney shops. List price - $65.

risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

The detailed lining on Maleficent's cape is quite impressive. Here are a few pics under some brighter lighting.

While not an ideal lighting to take pics of the portrait (i.e. face looks a bit washed out in this lighting), at least you can get an idea of fabulous lining from a 360 perspective.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Disney Showcase Collection - "Maleficent - Couture de Force" from Sleeping Beauty (1959) - The StatueForum Review

Sculpture: Dressed in a deliciously vamp robe, the Mistress of Evil stands poised to mesmerize the good natured folk of Disney. Frankly, from top to bottom, this is a stunning piece. The hypnotic glare, the delightfully blood red nail polish, the form fitting and highly detailed vampiric gown, the kabuki style face paints and ruby red lips, and gold sceptre -- this is Maleficent the seductress is at her best.

I absolutely love the stitching effect on Maleficent's robe. No doubt, this was a labor of love for the artist.

The only down side is the small size and fragile nature of the piece. However, that aside, this one is a beauty. How can anyone in their right mind choose Aurora over Maleficent??

Rating 9/10

Paint/Mixed media: Generally solid even if general simple. I think I would have preferred more accentuated face paints (make-up) so that her face can pop a bit more. I also wonder if all the sculpted stitching could have been painted in a different color so that you can see them in a better light.

Rating 8/10

Production and Build quality: Solid one piece statue - My favorite. However, like all the Disney pieces recently reviewed , it is lightweight.

Rating 8/10

Design: Stunning! Maleficent is designer haute couture? A perfect match.

Rating: 9/10

Overall Rating: 8.5/10
Old 05-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #5
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I like it! Great pics.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
I like it! Great pics.

Thanks.

I actually sent Enesco an e-mail asking for info on release dates, edition sizes, and artists' names. For example, I believe Tim Bruckner worked on some of these.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:27 AM   #7
dechirico7
The Flash

I have one major critique about this piece....She isn't Ursula! Why does the bottom of her cape look like Ursula tentacles?
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote