License: DC
Character: Starfire
Scale: 1/7
Height: 8.5” tall
Material: PVC
Box Dimensions: L: 7”, W: 8.5”, H:9.75”
Based on the original artwork by Shunya Yama----a
Sculpted by Toshiaki Hogari

Description from kotous.com: Starfire's revealing outfit shines reflectively as she perches atop a rock outcrop, her hair flowing dynamically around her.

A KOTOBUKIYA Japanese import! Coming up next in the DC Comics Bishoujo Collection (combining DC’s superheroines and villains with traditional Japanese stylings) is one of the “hottest” characters in the DC Universe, STARFIRE! An alien from the planet Tamaran, Princess Koriand’r was exiled by her wicked sister and ended up on Earth where she used her powers of flight and energy beams as a hero. Taking the name Starfire, she would defend her adopted planet and its people as a member of the Teen Titans with allies like Nightwing and Raven.

Starfire is captured here as she rests after battle, her enemies defeated and no longer a threat. The fiery alien perches atop a rocky outcropping, georama display, leaning forward to gaze at you while her incredible hair flows dynamically around her! Starfire wears her classic (pre-New 52) garb, a unique revealing outfit consisting of an intricate bikini-like torso harness, arm bands, and thigh high boots. The former Teen Titan is perfectly sculpted with soft lines and lots of details like the jewels, seams, and hems on her clothing and of course her heartbreakingly beautiful Bishoujo-styled face... and that’s all in addition to her fantastic hair! Meanwhile, Starfire seems to glow from within through her orange skin while her outfit and boots shines with a reflective metallic purple finish.

Introduction/First Impressions:
Thanks for checking out my review for the Starfire Bishoujo. I am actually surprised that no one has done a review on this lovely lady yet. It is quite an amazing piece.

Kotobukiya has reached a new level of awesome with this one. Every time I receive a new DC bishoujo for my DC bishoujo collection I am always shocked at the level of quality and detail we get on these pieces. And every time I think “there is no way that these can get better!” They do.

The Review
Sculpt: I really don’t know how Kotobukia produces their pieces. I am going to assume they are digital sculpts, since these bishoujos seem so perfectly uniform to me, almost too perfect.
This is probably the most complex bishoujo we have seen yet.

The hair sculpt is massive and very impressive. From what I can see, there are approximately 6 pieces that make up the hair. The seams are subtle and only noticeable close up.

I really like the contrast in texture between the figure and the base. The figure is very round and smooth, while the rock base is rough and jagged.
The small sculpted details are great. I really like her claw-like, long nails. And how her hands rest and grasp the base.

In the end, we get a perfect 3D sculpt of Yama----a’s art.

Paint : I love knowing that when I buy these DC bishoujos, they are always painted exceptionally well. The paint lines are clean, the eye and brow decals are aligned. There is great depth with the translucent hair, matte body and pearl, purple outfit. The red gems on her outfit are all glossy, which makes them also stand out off the pearly body suit.

The different tones of yellow, orange and red used on the hair is really great and ads even more to the motion of her hair. Just with regular lighting, her hair seems to glow like fire.

I did find a few tiny blemishes on my piece. There is some paint scraped off the wrist area of the arm cuff by her right wrist. It looks like just the purple pearl coat was scraped off. Underneath I can see the silver layer shining through. These are very small. Almost like someone took the blade of an exact-o knife and scraped the edge.

There is also a small amount of purple paint that bleeds into her skin on the right side of her abdomen.

Their color choices are well done. They really bounce off each other and create a contrasting composition that really grabs your eye.

Design: Come on , it is Shunya Yama----a! He is a master at illustrating beautiful women. Whoever, conceived the idea of having him do super-hero women is just a genius. I applaud you! Like stated earlier, Starfire is huge step up from previously released pieces. I really love how complex and balanced she is. Pieces of the sculpt balance and complement each other: the large curve of hair behind her right shoulder balances her chest, the two large areas of hair to the right of the base, balance her rear. Her outstretched left leg balances with the furthest tendril of hair. It just all works harmoniously.

I was a bit scared about the design of this piece when I originally saw the sketch. The base looked really “phallic.”

Production & Build Quality:
This piece is close to perfect.

The small paint bleeding and miniscule paint scrapes are somewhat disappointing, but don’t deter my appreciation of this great piece.

My main issue is how unstable my piece feels. The base doesn’t have quite enough weight to it to balance out the weight of the hair in front of the piece. Kotobukiya included a clear pastic wedge that fits in and under Starfire’s right foot. I am assuming they included the wedge to make it more stable. However, it doesn’t seem to really serve that purpose, or any purpose. I actually removed mine and she seems to be the slightest bit more stable. The wedge lifts the back of the heel, putting even more weight on the front of the piece.

I’m really not sure how I am going to display this piece yet. I don’t feel comfortable displaying it as is. I might try using poster putty on the base and her right foot.

Sculpt – 8.5 (Very Impressive)
Paint & Mixed Media – 8.0 (Impressive)
Design – 9.0 (Excellent)
Production & Build Quality – 7.5 (Very good)
Overall Score – 8.25 (Impressive to Very Impressive)

Thanks again for taking the time to check out my review. Sadly, I am not the best writer, so let me know if there is anything I can improve or add.

Below is a list of pieces that I should be receiving soon. Let me know if you would be interested in seeing a future review on any of them.

Sideshow DC Catwoman PF Exclusive
Sideshow Queen of the Dead PF
Kotobukiya Batwoman Bishoujo
Tweeterhead Emerald Edition Catwoman Maquette
Dean Yeagle’s Mandy – Standard Edition Statue by Anders Ehrenborg

Also, just a small note to Mods, we really need to be able to post Shunya's name on this forum. Sadly, it blocks out half of his name.

Photos:

dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
dechirico7
The Flash

Old 02-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
dechirico7
The Flash

Old 02-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
dechirico7
The Flash

Old 02-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
dechirico7
The Flash

Old 02-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
dechirico7
The Flash

Starfire with her friends
Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

It is all about that bass!!

Great review D. Lovely pictures as well. And I agree, some time the forum acts all crazy with some words. It doesn't even allow me to post my address on private messages.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

By the way, I would love to see the Tweeterhead Catwoman and the Mandy statue reviews. Those are really sexy pieces.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
It is all about that bass!!

Great review D. Lovely pictures as well. And I agree, some time the forum acts all crazy with some words. It doesn't even allow me to post my address on private messages.
LOL. I was kind of worried about T&A shots, but they are hard to avoid with this piece. So, I just went with it. She sure has a cute backside.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #10
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Great review and pictures! Awesome set of Bishoujo's btw
Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote