Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #2521
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Oh Selmy. How I loved him. Do you read the books? He is so fabulous there too -- and not killed like a chump in the alley.
Yes. I read the books long before the show, actually met GRRM a decade ago. I'm a huge nerd for the series and read the supplementary material.

Selmy is awesome in Mereen. Glad he is still alive.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #2522
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Yes, this is it exactly. Dirty was the wrong word to use. Watching Arya grow up on screen, despite being an adult now, I still remember the ten-year-old from season one.
https://mobile.twitter.com/maisie_wi...55427975806976

Quote:
if u feel uncomfortable just know that my mother and my step dad and my 2 sisters and my 4 brothers have all probably watched this too ahahakillmeehehe
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #2523
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
I have no idea why this show is so loved. I have watched every episode and find it to by vastly boring. I'm pleased 10% of the time and really love the dragons and the battle scenes which are very well done. But 33% done with the last season and nothing has happened.

I will bet episode 3 does not start with the battle. It will start with 30 min of Cersi talking or show the Iron Island battle instead.
Not for everyone.

I think how one defines "boring" and "nothing happening" plays a major role.

I can be captivated by a conversation seeing a clever character outwit a smart one and bored by a massive battle.

For me seasons 1-4 are the gold standard of television. I'm also deeply invested in the story, characters, and world so plays a major role in appreciating the weight of actions in the series.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #2524
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Not for everyone.

I think how one defines "boring" and "nothing happening" plays a major role.

I can be captivated by a conversation seeing a clever character outwit a smart one and bored by a massive battle.

For me seasons 1-4 are the gold standard of television. I'm also deeply invested in the story, characters, and world so plays a major role in appreciating the weight of actions in the series.
I find myself preferring episodic TV shows, ones that tell self-contained stories each week. Something like Hawaii Five-0 or Blue Bloods isn't any "less" epic than a GoT because the nuggets of information that we get about the characters still accumulate over time.

Contrast that with what's happened in GoT. It's almost as if GRRM and the show runners are telling us that all of a life is a monumental waste. People fight huge battles/wars only to be wiped out in an apocalypse. It's a valid theme, but it's a point that could've been made in one season.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #2525
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I find myself preferring episodic TV shows, ones that tell self-contained stories each week. Something like Hawaii Five-0 or Blue Bloods isn't any "less" epic than a GoT because the nuggets of information that we get about the characters still accumulate over time.

Contrast that with what's happened in GoT. It's almost as if GRRM and the show runners are telling us that all of a life is a monumental waste. People fight huge battles/wars only to be wiped out in an apocalypse. It's a valid theme, but it's a point that could've been made in one season.
I disagree, but I'm not going to attempt to convert anyone.

If you study the histories of Westeros and Essos you see the nature of time. There is no "end", rather rise and falls and layers of history. Even if the second Long Night succeeds in Westeros, it could be driven back in time and the land claimed new people. Look at ancient societies, some are lost to time, but were they a "waste". I don't think so, just as nothing we do now is truly permanent, it still has value.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #2526
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
I disagree, but I'm not going to attempt to convert anyone.

If you study the histories of Westeros and Essos you see the nature of time. There is no "end", rather rise and falls and layers of history. Even if the second Long Night succeeds in Westeros, it could be driven back in time and the land claimed new people. Look at ancient societies, some are lost to time, but were they a "waste". I don't think so, just as nothing we do now is truly permanent, it still has value.
True, but I get the same lessons from studying real history.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #2527
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
True, but I get the same lessons from studying real history.
By that logic all fiction could be rendered void in the mind.

My degree was in history, so studied plenty of it as well.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #2528
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
By that logic all fiction could be rendered void in the mind.

My degree was in history, so studied plenty of it as well.
No, that's not what I'm implying. Literature is wonderful, but I can't get behind cataloguing a fictional universe for the sake of cataloguing.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #2529
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
No, that's not what I'm implying. Literature is wonderful, but I can't get behind cataloguing a fictional universe for the sake of cataloguing.
It is filled with wonderful rich characters that make it feel like a breathing place. The historical texts are there, but you can read it for adventure or intrigue or romance just as well. Nature of human experience.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #2530
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Decent article I just read that talks about the 'memory' plot point I brought up:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/game...an-memory.html

Mentions Bran's near-omniscience at the end as well, which plays into why I put zero stock in 'Bran as Night King' theories. Namely, Bran is just a storytelling crutch, imo. In an era with no video footage nor cellphones, he's nothing more than an easy way to relay important info to the characters, not merely from omniscience, but also with the 'time-travel' contrivance.
I can see how that notion may disappoint, but personally I don't really fault the show too much for that. They have clearly used Bran as a mechanism for bridging plot points and bringing together character arcs in a timely manner. However, other than having a 9th season I don't see how the writers could have avoided this. For whatever reason this had to be the last season. I think this season could have been a couple of episodes longer, but that still wouldn't have been enough time to bring these groups full circle. So the answer was Bran and his new role. I'm fine with that. To me the bigger disappointment is the under utilization of both Bran and the Three-Eyed Raven as a concept. I wished for a more fulfulling destiny for Bran and hoped the Three-Eyed Raven was something more than a glorified historian.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote