Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #2631
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Just finished episode

5/10

Executed poorly. Alot of stupid decisions and things we should have seen which we now cannot.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #2632
Gruson
Suicide Squad

It was good but there have been much better episodes. Kind of disappointed that was the final battle...expected a much better dragon fight for sure. It was also very hard to see what was happening because so dark. I liked it but didn’t love it.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #2633
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I haven't read the books. I was speaking within the context of the show itself. The quality and expectations established from the beginning of the series. How they are wrapping up this series simply feels rushed and often uninspiring. I have enjoyed seeing my favorite and compelling characters meet one another and seeing certain arcs come full circle, but the overall story isn't reaching a satisfying conclusion so far.
Neither have I. Not a big book reader, but I may just pick up this series to get some detail I hope is coming (should GRRM not croak).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
My criticism isn't that the stakes didn't feel high or that there weren't enough casualties. The stakes felt high... for those in Winterfell. For those in the North. We spent years watching everyone south of the wall scoffing at the wall and whatever imaginary threat lay beyond it. Several seasons of the only ones concerned with the Night King being Jon, SOME of the Night's Watch, and us... the audience. The show was building up the idea that the Night King and his army would bring an unprecedented amount of death and misery to an unsuspecting world. Instead the victims are Jon (the same person who has dealt with this threat since day 1) and the people we already expected to follow him. Cersei, her allies, and her entire kingdom sat back and drank margaritas while our hero dealt with the problem.

I felt that the use of the word "game" in the title of the series held multiple meanings. Like a complicated game of chess, those playing would need strategy, foresight, cunning, and be willing to make sacrifices. However, I also took it to mean (because of how the show laid out a double narrative of a chase for the throne and the threat beyond the wall) that like a game, it was all inconsequential. That this "game" for the throne meant nothing if the Night King wasn't dealt with. And while that is still technically true, only some participants of the game fully realized this. Unfortunately, it was mostly those who didn't even want to be playing the game in the first place.
Yes, yes, yes. Spot on (whole thing, not just bolded)! Get out of my head!

Back to my bullet points...

-Why the hell wasn't part of the strategy to target at least a few White Walkers to remove all the wights they 'turned', thereby much more quickly and easily diminishing the army of the dead? Maybe some of those carrying Valyrian steel that I mentioned? Jon could have provided some intel on that. But no, we had(?) to wrap this up in 6.

Also, was rereading White Walker history/legend and Azor Ahai again, and THAT'S the story I'm sure many of us expected here. A generation's long night, White Walkers sweeping southward, conquering Westeros and nearly making it to Essos, before the savior Azor Ahai pushes them back and the Wall is constructed. Here we got a one-night battle.

Total dick move, but I guess those bastards have succeeded in making me anticipate the prequel series which just so happens to focus on this time period.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #2634
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
Let’s put just how terrible the ending was into perspective. If bran sat alone by the tree with no army at winterfell and they hid a single board with a valerian steel nail sticking out of it in front of him the Nightking would’ve causally walked over to him, stepped on it and we’d have the same nonsense without wasting thousands of lives or my time.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #2635
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Neither have I. Not a big book reader, but I may just pick up this series to get some detail I hope is coming (should GRRM not croak).
books on tape my friend, I think each Song book takes about 30 hours to have read to you.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #2636
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Watching last nights episode again. Awesome....
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #2637
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
books on tape my friend, I think each Song book takes about 30 hours to have read to you.
I have never, ever considered that before. Is that the route you went for this, or other works?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #2638
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
I have never, ever considered that before. Is that the route you went for this, or other works?
heh, I've yet to dive in myself (I've always been more of a cliffnotes kind of guy) but one of my friends did them all on audiobook after we started getting into the show and she loved it. but the more I do read about the world he made and how we'll never see 99% of it in the show the more tempted I am to listen to them myself.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #2639
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
heh, I've yet to dive in myself (I've always been more of a cliffnotes kind of guy) but one of my friends did them all on audiobook after we started getting into the show and she loved it. but the more I do read about the world he made and how we'll never see 99% of it in the show the more tempted I am to listen to them myself.
Yeah, be it this or LOTR, Star Wars, etc., I'm more into reading wikis or encyclopedic works, for the details, mysteries, and facts.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #2640
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Yeah, be it this or LOTR, Star Wars, etc., I'm more into reading wikis or encyclopedic works, for the details, mysteries, and facts.
same, I've never been one to care about spoilers so I love diving into the breakdowns are theory videos people with far more creativity put together.