Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 03-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMe_Snake View Post
...having said that..

Those ADI Alien and Predators...

I don't get why you hate ADI so much, they have done some pretty cool stuff. AVP was a blip but you'd have to suspect they were working to specific requirements to humanise scar (errgh!) and make them all look as they did. Their work on Wolf proves they can make a damn good Predator. The Predators and "Super Predators" from the movie of the same name are by KNB efx, not ADI as most people still believe. The Newborn is an acquired taste, but they certainly managed to make something different.

P.S, ADI have a 1:1 wolf in the same pose the SSC LSF was based on, maybe one day once they have gotten some priorities done, chronicle will be very brave and offer that top the lucky people that could afford it
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #12
CallMe_Snake
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I could go on and on about it, but for me it boils down to their lack of respect for the original designs that came before them.

Winston understood it, his only real change was removing the dome on the head, even that change could be reasoned in with the idea that the Xeno in Aliens had been living longer and might have gown to look a little different later in their life cycle.

ADI did great work on Alien 3, their design choices made sense being that this alien was not born from a human.

Even Resurrection made some sense in that those nasty, slimy looking Xenos were not the same organism we had seen before. Those were genetically defective creatures so the changed look I could understand even if I hated it.

What I can't understand, or excuse is their work ever since..

For both AVP movies they recycled the same 'genetic/defective' warrior design. That makes no sense at all. If both of those lousy AVP movies are supposed to take place on earth in present day(horrible idea to start with), then why the HELL do the aliens look just like the defective Resurrection design only painted black?? It shows a lack of passion from them, it tells me they just don't care, that they think nobody will notice. As if no one can tell the difference??

The Aliens in AVP should not have looked like this..

Stan Winston seemed to understand what made the Alien look so iconic, ADI seems to either not care, or just not understand.. Not sure which is worse honestly.

As far as their work on AVP:R and that Predator...

I've honestly seen fan made costumes look better.

...wait, sorry. I'm not being very fair, that shot is not from the film and a bad example to use. Not the final look with the harsh lighting.

Here, that's more accurate...

You're right, that looks better... I think.

I sincerely hope Blomkamp uses someone else for his new Alien movie, I do not want to see an ADI Alien anymore..

P.S. - my apologies for swerving off topic.
CallMe_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Quote:
I could go on and on about it, but for me it boils down to their lack of respect for the original designs that came before them.

Winston understood it, his only real change was removing the dome on the head, even that change could be reasoned in with the idea that the Xeno in Aliens had been living longer and might have gown to look a little different later in their life cycle.

ADI did great work on Alien 3, their design choices made sense being that this alien was not born from a human.

Even Resurrection made some sense in that those nasty, slimy looking Xenos were not the same organism we had seen before. Those were genetically defective creatures so the changed look I could understand even if I hated it.

What I can't understand, or excuse is their work ever since..

For both AVP movies they recycled the same 'genetic/defective' warrior design. That makes no sense at all. If both of those lousy AVP movies are supposed to take place on earth in present day(horrible idea to start with), then why the HELL do the aliens look just like the defective Resurrection design only painted black?? It shows a lack of passion from them, it tells me they just don't care, that they think nobody will notice. As if no one can tell the difference??

The Aliens in AVP should not have looked like this..

Stan Winston seemed to understand what made the Alien look so iconic, ADI seems to either not care, or just not understand.. Not sure which is worse honestly.

As far as their work on AVP:R and that Predator...

...wait, sorry. I'm not being very fair, that shot is not from the film and a bad example to use. Not the final look with the harsh lighting.

Here, that's more accurate...

You're right, that looks better... I think.

I sincerely hope Blomkamp uses someone else for his new Alien movie, I do not want to see an ADI Alien anymore..
I think Stan Winston Studios would do the xenomorphs justice...
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #14
CallMe_Snake
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
I think Stan Winston Studios would do the xenomorphs justice...
Oh, my dream come true would be to hear Legacy is working on the new Alien movie. I can only hope.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Oh, my dream come true would be to hear Legacy is working on the new Alien movie. I can only hope.
You may have to hope a while longer. The next Alien movie is only in development and hasn't been greenlit. i wonder what Fox thinks about Blomkamp after the weak opening weekend and poor critical response for Chappie.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
Python
Omega Red

Quote:

The ADI guys worked for Winston at the time so need some of that credit also. I would argue the Warrior removed the main aspect that made Gigers design so memorable, that translucent skull with the empty eye sockets of the human skull beneath was terrifying. The Warriors weren't really, they were just bugs that came at you in swarms. The Big chap is by far the best Alien design out there for me. I liked the resurrection Aliens. As for AVP and AVP:R, well your assuming they had full control of the design, we don't know that, nor do we know what their budget was, it's probably safe to assume it was lower than Aliens & Alien 3 though. And design wise, the director likely had input as he did with the Predators (I remember a commentary from him) Lots of factors to take account of.

Wolf was Awesome imo, the most faithful Predator we had seen on screen since P2. As for saying you've seen fan suits that are better, well so have I, you say that like it's a bad thing? There are some people out there who take this stuff very seriously and spend years making awesome suits.

It's fine if you don't like them, I won't try and convince you lol, just putting across an alternative point of view as I've seen you post that a few times. I'm a stickler for accuracy and faithfulness etc at times, and I like ADI myself.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #17
RadicalThrasher
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Soooo...... Anymore pics Paul?
RadicalThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #18
CallMe_Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
You may have to hope a while longer. The next Alien movie is only in development and hasn't been greenlit. i wonder what Fox thinks about Blomkamp after the weak opening weekend and poor critical response for Chappie.
We will see, technically it is number one at the box office. Regardless of what critics say, box office number are what Fox will be watching. Hey, at least it's rating slightly higher than 50 Shades of Grey on rotten tomatoes. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
The ADI guys worked for Winston at the time so need some of that credit also. I would argue the Warrior removed the main aspect that made Gigers design so memorable, that translucent skull with the empty eye sockets of the human skull beneath was terrifying. The Warriors weren't really, they were just bugs that came at you in swarms. The Big chap is by far the best Alien design out there for me. I liked the resurrection Aliens. As for AVP and AVP:R, well your assuming they had full control of the design, we don't know that, nor do we know what their budget was, it's probably safe to assume it was lower than Aliens & Alien 3 though. And design wise, the director likely had input as he did with the Predators (I remember a commentary from him) Lots of factors to take account of.

Wolf was Awesome imo, the most faithful Predator we had seen on screen since P2. As for saying you've seen fan suits that are better, well so have I, you say that like it's a bad thing? There are some people out there who take this stuff very seriously and spend years making awesome suits.

It's fine if you don't like them, I won't try and convince you lol, just putting across an alternative point of view as I've seen you post that a few times. I'm a stickler for accuracy and faithfulness etc at times, and I like ADI myself.
I know they worked for Winston Studios before they broke off to do their own thing, that's what makes the lousy treatment that much more infuriating to me, they should have more respect for the creature design.

As far as Stan removing the skull idea, it's there still if you look close.. Subtle, but the essence is there.

The thing about the skull under the dome is, most people didn't even notice it in the original film since the creature was in the dark so much. I know I never noticed it until I saw behind the scenes pics.
Stan's idea about making those eye sockets less pronounced was that a smooth, eyeless face could be more unnerving. I would tend to agree. Again since most people never even noticed the skull under the dome it would be jarring for him to have it look so obvious now. Most people at the time just remember that smooth eyeless head.
I think it was a good call.

You couldn't understand why I hate ADI's work so I wanted to show rather than try to explain why.
Pictures can speak louder than words sometimes.

Hey, at the end of the day it's all opinions. Nobody is right or wrong about how we feel. You seem to like their designs, that's fine. Others do too.

For me, I think they are trash. Ugly blemishes on the legacy of this awesome creature and it seems to get worse with each movie they've worked on.

Just my opinion.

I don't want to steer this thread of course anymore so I'll just leave it with these few final images to illustrate why I feel the way I do...

Stan Winston vs ADI on the Alien Warrior..

(Ugh! Ok, one more comment. I never realized just how lousy the head design was for AVP:R... Thank god that movie was so dark and I barely saw that.
Horrible, talk about crapping all over Giger's design. At least Winston's take really stayed true to it...)

Ok, sorry about that folks. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.. Chronicle kicking butt.

Yes, I'd love to see more pics of the trip. I promise to keep the geek ranting to a minimum.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #19
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

How did this turn into an Aliens thread?

Anymore pics from the trip, Paul?
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #20
Morgul Steve
Captain Marvel

I'm sorry Snake but you are talking about minor differences that most people (myself included) never noticed in the movies. Most of the time it is so dark and the alien move so fast that you don't even get a good look at them.
Even in your pics above sure I can see differences but who cares. To me they both look like Aliens.
But I do prefer the original Giger Aliens.
Morgul Steve is offline   Reply With Quote