Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
Teague
Iron Man

Is anyone else not buying this because of the art? I just can't stand it. The idea sounds interesting--as in, not just prurient. And Moore is a draw, for sure. But the fact that he's doing this with his girlfriend just makes it seem like...I don't know, a "couple" thing instead of a "find the best artist for this" thing.

Maybe the strange art is meant to lessen the graphic nature of what it's sometimes portraying, I don't know. But the art is what kept me from buying this in the first place, and now that I've seen a copy (and read it a bit at the store), I'm definitely not getting one.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 AM   #12
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil View Post
Ebay!
already searching. Trouble is, the weight of the item!
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Is anyone else not buying this because of the art? I just can't stand it. The idea sounds interesting--as in, not just prurient. And Moore is a draw, for sure. But the fact that he's doing this with his girlfriend just makes it seem like...I don't know, a "couple" thing instead of a "find the best artist for this" thing.

Maybe the strange art is meant to lessen the graphic nature of what it's sometimes portraying, I don't know. But the art is what kept me from buying this in the first place, and now that I've seen a copy (and read it a bit at the store), I'm definitely not getting one.
business before pleasure. Melinda is a fine artist by herself,

Do you stop buying comics if they are wriiten and drawn by Louise and Walt Simonson?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
already searching. Trouble is, the weight of the item!
Amazon is now shipping the 2nd Printing here in the US so this should become easier (and less expensive) to find.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
Amazon is now shipping the 2nd Printing here in the US so this should become easier (and less expensive) to find.
got one from ebay. 1st printing was important to me
Old 11-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #16
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
business before pleasure. Melinda is a fine artist by herself,

Do you stop buying comics if they are wriiten and drawn by Louise and Walt Simonson?
I don't know anything about her other work. Honestly, I'm not complaining about the relationship so much as I am about her art--I just plain don't like it. But that's just my opinion. I was just disappointed in the art, personally, which was too bad because I was looking forward to Moore's work.

I might still have tried it out, though, if it was released in comic form. But as a big chunk of money like that for a book? Just can't do it.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #17
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
read this in Comics international - to my dismay
January 2008?
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #18
They're Statues!
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
I don't know anything about her other work. Honestly, I'm not complaining about the relationship so much as I am about her art--I just plain don't like it. But that's just my opinion. I was just disappointed in the art, personally, which was too bad because I was looking forward to Moore's work.

I might still have tried it out, though, if it was released in comic form. But as a big chunk of money like that for a book? Just can't do it.
It did start as a comic book published by Kitchen Sink back in 1995 two issues were released. Cover price was $5.95 for each you can occasionally find them on ebay for not much more than that. You might have better luck at an LCS back issue bin.

I read that Melinda Gebbie's art for the series is supposed to be reminiscent of late 19th early 20th century underground erotic illustration (whatever that is).
They're Statues! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #19
joy_division

Quote:

she drew The Cobweb for ABC comics
Old 11-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #20
whd
Suicide Squad

I picked up because it's Alan Moore, but it's definitely not ranking high on my list. I consider it worth reading once, but I'll probably throw my copy out on eBay, eventually.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote