Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 12-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE SELLING OFF THEIR BD COLLECTIONS?

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people are selling off their collections? It just seems like I have been seeing a lot of Ebay auctions with the statement selling off my entire Bowen collection.
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

To date, I have sold 101 busts and 59 statues. I sold most of them when the market was more lucrative. I used all of that cash to subsidize future hobby related purchases. I don't think I'd get 20% of what I got back in the day for those pieces in today's marketplace. Nowadays, it's become quite a challenge to sell off some of the older busts and statues at a decent return.

I have 12 statues left to unload before my collection is entirely Bowen-statue free. However, I decided to keep most of the 86 busts I have left (i.e., the Spidey, Thor, and FF universe pieces).

To answer your Q, yes, it does seem like many people are selling off their Bowen product, but not all are doing it for the same reason. Some have quit the hobby entirely, some have moved on to Sideshow or other companies (for whatever reason), some are selling pieces off while they can still get some kind of decent return, and so on. At the end of the day, the massive amount being sold suggests that the statue community is looking for something different (for whatever reason). No statue company will be exempt from this inevitable trend buyers typically show for wanting the latest greatest thing. We're hearing similar rumblings among the Sideshow fanbase. All this to say that BD played a massive role in pioneering and legitimizing this trade. When all is said and done, long after its doors are closed. BD will be fondly remembered.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Not selling any of mine.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
AlizAbef

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
To answer your Q, yes, some are selling pieces off while they can still get some kind of decent return
This.

The longer Bowen stays gone from the 1/6th game, the lower the AM prices will become, and pretty soon, selling a Bowen statue will be the same as selling a statue from Art Asylum....you'll get next to nothing for it. People are getting what they can for them while the getting is still decent. That's what I think anyway.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Not selling any of mine.
Nor I mine.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
tonytiger
The X-Men

People come and go,I've just started collecting Bowen 5 mos ago and already have over 40 Bowen statues.So.. I been on e-bay a lot and i do see more people selling their entire collection but they all have some kind of reason from adopting a kid to just plain on hard times.Also maybe since Bowen is not making anymore statues ( at this time ) that they are worry the value is going to drop.Mmm
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
AlizAbef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
So.. I been on e-bay a lot and i do see more people selling their entire collection but they all have some kind of reason from adopting a kid to just plain on hard times.
That's not the real reason though. If I had a massive collection of Bowen statues that I had to sell, I'd come up with a reason like that too, but the sellers as well as we ourselves all know it's because the Bowen aftermarket value is decreasing big time.

Of course sellers are gonna come up with the usual cliché excuse for selling off their unpopular collections. I would.

No one will ever say in their listing, "I'm selling off my entire collection because I've come to realize that the aftermarket value no longer exists."
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
StatueBandit
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

The aftermarket value on Bowens pieces of course is not going to be huge like it once was. However with the amount of success and popularity Bowen pieces have had I don't foresee them being a total loss.

This is especially going to be true for A, B List Characters and pieces of characters that will never see the lite of day by other companies.
StatueBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
tonytiger
The X-Men

What! people are not being honest..lol Even among us statue collectors? Maybe that's why i been getting such good deals..those bas#$#&!
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Pfft, I hope that people continue to sell their Bowen stuff. There are several x-men I want to get of theirs, but don't have the money to get them atm.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote