Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #111
ambasah
Red Skull

what an absolutely awful pose.

I can't see how any big fan of the character would be happy with this statue.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #112
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
what an absolutely awful pose.

I can't see how any big fan of the character would be happy with this statue.
This is probably the only chance for the fans to get a 1/4 Starfire
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #113
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
I agree, his example statue is awful.
See, I may be overly critical, but I try to articulate specific aspects I find lacking, and in as constructive a way as I can. Hard to do in 150 characters though, which is why my post are usually of the tl;dr variety.

I don't take offense at anyone dissing the Icon piece.
My self worth isn't wrapped up in these things.

I just think it would help if I knew what metrics you were using to evaluate what is good/great and what is "awful". Depending on what those are, I might actually agree more than disagree with you.

I honestly wasn't being facetious about this SS piece in my first post.
I actually do kind of like the less typical lounging pose (though this is becoming a little more common with the Dejah Thoris coming up too). Having her reclined like that, while levitating, is actually something fresh and ...pretty cool, IMO.

At the same time, this simply isn't a good representation of the character that I liked back in the 80's, despite the fact that she's wearing a costume that is pretty close to that character. Maybe this is more '90's which is the era in comics I stayed far away from?

That's fine.

While I'd love to have that 1/4 Perez Starfire that exists in my head, I don't need a generic Starfire just to have the character in my collection. Some of us just don't roll like that.

Again, to people who aren't focused on that classic version of the character, who just want a colorful, sexy fantasy female statue- congrats.
For what it is, I think it's a pretty cool looking piece.

I don't really understand the need for clear resin though, as I've seen several examples of color choices that can represent a white hot glow well enough with regular polystone. It would be a shame if they've compromised the rigidity or integrity of it just for that effect.
But they should know what they're doing, I guess.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #114
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I'm so easy to please, think they both look great. I give the edge to Tweeterhead, but this one fills that 1:4 scale void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
This is probably the only chance for the fans to get a 1/4 Starfire
Mercifully, I'm not a fan of the costume in the first place. I really prefer the DCYou/Rebirth costumes.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #115
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Again, to people who just want a colorful, sexy fantasy female statue- congrats.
The EX is a tantra chair in lieu of the hair.

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #116
Graven
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post

I would buy the "flying" pose if the right arm weren't posed like that. The right arm, as it is, makes it look like she's resting on it (and her hair). Also, the Starbolt should be a blaze of energy, not a wisp of formless smoke.
Agree! Her butt and arm resting on her hair, but thats Starfire and not Medusa

Tweeterheads Starfire is way better, even that im not a fan of her old costume and haircut.

So it’s XMs turn to fix that again
Graven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #117
pdenham
Teen Titans

It seems clear to me she is supposed to be levitating.
Having all that negative space underneath the figure is going to make for a nice, unique eyecatcher I would expect.
You can see a hint of her hair curling at the bottom of the pic, so the base might just be all hair over most of the footprint.

Oh, and to whoever was asking- yes. You will be able to see most of her butt cheeks.
Her hair thins enough, and the body inclined enough that you should see her left cheek, and at least a sliver, if not more, of her right.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #118
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
See, I may be overly critical, but I try to articulate specific aspects I find lacking, and in as constructive a way as I can. Hard to do in 150 characters though, which is why my post are usually of the tl;dr variety.

I don't take offense at anyone dissing the Icon piece.
My self worth isn't wrapped up in these things.

I just think it would help if I knew what metrics you were using to evaluate what is good/great and what is "awful". Depending on what those are, I might actually agree more than disagree with you.

I honestly wasn't being facetious about this SS piece in my first post.
I actually do kind of like the less typical lounging pose (though this is becoming a little more common with the Dejah Thoris coming up too). Having her reclined like that, while levitating, is actually something fresh and ...pretty cool, IMO.

At the same time, this simply isn't a good representation of the character that I liked back in the 80's, despite the fact that she's wearing a costume that is pretty close to that character. Maybe this is more '90's which is the era in comics I stayed far away from?

That's fine.

While I'd love to have that 1/4 Perez Starfire that exists in my head, I don't need a generic Starfire just to have the character in my collection. Some of us just don't roll like that.

Again, to people who aren't focused on that classic version of the character, who just want a colorful, sexy fantasy female statue- congrats.
For what it is, I think it's a pretty cool looking piece.

I don't really understand the need for clear resin though, as I've seen several examples of color choices that can represent a white hot glow well enough with regular polystone. It would be a shame if they've compromised the rigidity or integrity of it just for that effect.
But they should know what they're doing, I guess.
Oh so you wan't a critique?

It's YELLOW

Shoddy paintwork

Base is laughable

Hair is a Brown Blob

In a cheesy flying pose.

But the face looks like Perez's artwork, I'll give you that.

Still, as was mentioned, due to your usual hyper critical nature, it's hard to understand that piece being satisfactory to you.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #119
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

It's growing on me, but unless there is some sort of support I'm not seeing, I'm going to have to pass from a long-term viability standpoint.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #120
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I would hope that given all the engineering questions we asked about Rogue that SS people know right now how this is engineered. They better not be another convention display that goes missing and “I don’t know” answers on live if they want to move this statue.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote