Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 11-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Bowen Retro Green Hulk

Ah Hulk my fav. Marvel character. So much power. So much rage. Yet just a child on the inside who wants nothing but to be left alone.

I have been waiting to own what I felt like best symbolized the Hulk of my youthful memories but yet still had a contemporary look and feel to him. I once owned the SS PF Hulk and while it was an AWSOME statue, I was just not a big fan of the Kirby look. I was intoduced to the Sal Buscema art in the 70's so that has always been were Hulk's look started in my mind.

So now we have Bowen's Retro Green Hulk. How did he turn out?? Let's See.

Face sculpt - 4.5 out of 5 - Pretty great but not perfect. I like everything about this face sculpt. The expression, the shape, the mouth and jutted out teeth. There is just something a bit off and I think that has more to do with the paint then the sculpt.

Body Sculpt - 5 out of 5 / Pose - 5 out of 5 - Total 5 out of 5 - Now this is what I am talking about. I love this pose. Hulk is just waiting to open a can of whip ass on someone. The hands (always important on a hulk figure), muscle size and shape, and pose are all just top notch. This was one of my biggest issues with the SS PF Hulk. The pose was always slightly off to me. But this sculpt nails it IMO.

With both the face and body sculpt I got what I had been looking for. It had that retro 70's style that I remember while still looking relevent in todays comic world. I could not be happier.

Clothes - 3 out of 5 - The paints are sculpted and look just a tad too comic booky for me. The rest of the sculpt has a very realistic feel to it but the paints are a bit cartoony. Not bad but I would have prefered a more realistic look.

Paint - 3.5 out of 5 - The body paint is Great!!! I wish it was darker like the SS PF Hulk but it still looks good. The face paint could be a tad better. The eye pupils are just black dots and the paint around the hairline could be better. However everything looks great if you are giving it about a foot of space. Only upon close examination do i see these problems

Weapons - N/A - Do HULKS hands count??

Overall - 4 out of 5 Not an average - This is it. This was the Hulk I have been waiting for. While i can understand the Love for the SS PF Hulk, it just was not the one for me. If this had the size and paint job of the SS Hulk then this would probably be my fav. piece in my collection. I am very happy with it and feel it was worth the price I paid.
JAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
Averone
Kindly Asked To Leave

Yes he looks good from far away!
Thanks for your input!
Averone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
MACATTACK
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Good review. Does he have nipples, or can I not see them in the pic?
MACATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

why would you sell the hulk PF?
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
JAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
why would you sell the hulk PF?

1. Did not 100% love the piece. For Kirby fans it's perfect. For me, it just was a great representation of an artist style I was not crazy about. Plus the pose was awkard IMO.

2. The money sounded good.

3. The Bowen statue is a better representation of the Hulk. Angry, Full of rage, and ready to fight. Not a slow moving simpleton. As I said, for Kirby fans it's perfect. For me, Bowen's new hulk hits it out of the park.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
dr_teng

Good review! I rather like this one myself. I prefer the Smackdown Hulk by Bowen, but this one is close.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The waist size looks a bit narrow compared to the rest of the body. Is this an issue? To me, Hulk should be thick all the way around.
wktf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
JAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
The waist size looks a bit narrow compared to the rest of the body. Is this an issue? To me, Hulk should be thick all the way around.
The Waist is fine. Hulk is plenty thick!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Loved this review, thank-you Jaws, for putting the time & effort into writing it. I just received mine and really love it. My paint's good, so I can't complain as others have done on the BD page.
Bottom line? I finally have a museum posed (i.m.o.) Hulk that works more than wonderfully with all my other BD Marvel Heroes! This is Huge! This Hulk ties together my entire BD Marvel Display as a cornerstone.
I think Bowen Designs accomplished exactly what they were aiming for with this one. He's my main display Hulk and I couldn't be happier. I don't feel he's retro at all....he looks like The Hulk, period.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
JAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Loved this review, thank-you Jaws, for putting the time & effort into writing it. I just received mine and really love it. My paint's good, so I can't complain as others have done on the BD page.
Bottom line? I finally have a museum posed (i.m.o.) Hulk that works more than wonderfully with all my other BD Marvel Heroes! This is Huge! This Hulk ties together my entire BD Marvel Display as a cornerstone.
I think Bowen Designs accomplished exactly what they were aiming for with this one. He's my main display Hulk and I couldn't be happier. I don't feel he's retro at all....he looks like The Hulk, period.
Thanks for the nice comments about my review. I would love to see a photo of your Marvel collection with the New Hulk there.