Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

ups is crazy

i was getting the shipping price for somthing to australia that weighed 15 lbs and ups says they charge it as 28 lbs. that is the minimum. so anything 28lbs or less is treated as 28 lbs.

so shipping came out to $400 for ups and only $100 for usps. what the hell
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
ComputerFly
The Phantom

UPS: All international and domestic packages are based on Dimensional weight, not actual weight. The 28 pounds is what was calculated based on the measurements you put in.

USPS: Uses actual weight, and they don't really care about the size of the box as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum dimensions.

That's why the price is so different.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
hawkeyethearcher

ah. well screw them and why do they ask for the weight if they dont care
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Mr. Kennedy

UPS is cheap to ship within the US compared to USPS but USPS international is definitely cheaper then UPS
Mr. Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
ComputerFly
The Phantom

Well, if the box is under a certain size, let's say 12x12x12, and it weighs 30 pounds, they charge you for 30 pounds, lol! They're going to charge you the maximum they can whether it's actual, or dimensional.

In their defense, it makes sense. One plane/boat/truck can only carry so many packages. If the boxes are all the size of say a Hulk PF, vs. say A Bowen bust, they're going to have to make several more trips. In their opinion, the box size is actually more critical than the weight, and we are charged accordingly.

Here are my guidelines for shipping:

International : USPS, unless the box is too large, and the buyer is willing to pay Fedex rates.

U.S. : Small packages always go Priority mail. When the weight approaches 5 pounds, I switch over to UPS because Priority becomes waaaay more expensive than UPS ground.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Mr. Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
Well, if the box is under a certain size, let's say 12x12x12, and it weighs 30 pounds, they charge you for 30 pounds, lol! They're going to charge you the maximum they can whether it's actual, or dimensional.

In their defense, it makes sense. One plane/boat/truck can only carry so many packages. If the boxes are all the size of say a Hulk PF, vs. say A Bowen bust, they're going to have to make several more trips. In their opinion, the box size is actually more critical than the weight, and we are charged accordingly.

Here are my guidelines for shipping:

International : USPS, unless the box is too large, and the buyer is willing to pay Fedex rates.

U.S. : Small packages always go Priority mail. When the weight approaches 5 pounds, I switch over to UPS because Priority becomes waaaay more expensive than UPS ground.
Mr. Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

UPS and Fedex don't offer lesser international services, it's either crazy 2 day express or nothing...
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:41 AM   #8
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
I'm puzzled as well. I have a Darth Maul bust about to ship to me from a Forum friend then but i think USPS rejected it due to the size.

I have no idea how big the shipper is but I insisted on having it. Darth Maul lifesize has a great shipper box so I gotta save up for a hefty shipping charge due to the size exceeding the limit slightly.

WWJD??
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote