Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
artman51164
Doh!

Newbie Help w/ Roma Plast #2.....

at my wits in. normally i sculpt w/ supersculpey but wanna give Roma a try. got it as a gift.

i'm sculpting a 6in full body figure. using my dental tools the clay just pushes all over the place. can't seem to smooth things out. seems this clay only happy with me using my hands which not gonna work for finer details.

so, it seems the way i sculpt w/ supersculpey ain't gonna work with this clay. anyone have links to youtube videos etc.... on how to work this medium of clay ? do u just lay a blob of it and rake away ?

help appreciated
artman51164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
YankeeGuy0
Doh!

I feel your pain. Switching from sculpey to roma gave me some serious head aches.
Here are a few things:

plasticine can be heated to change its working consistency; warm it under a lamp before working with it to make it soft or if you need it super hard, put in a cold place for a while.

If you're just smoothing out small tool marks a solvent like denatured alcohol will work well brushed over the surface.

I think roma #2 is labeled "for figure sculpture," but they don't mean figures as small as 6". You may want to try something firmer to get detail in a figure that small.

Lastly you need to just practice with it. While most skills are the same from one clay to the next there are nuances to each you need to acquaint yourself with.

As a final note, roma has sulphur in it. If your planning on making a mold of it you will need to seal the clay somehow or it will ruin most rtv's.
YankeeGuy0 is offline   Reply With Quote