Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #81
Erihppas
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Nevermind, I Googled it. :P
Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #82
Gannon
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erihppas View Post
Do you have a link to the entire interview, perhaps?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, these extra runs. I understand the limited edition thing being part of the whole desireability thing for some people but come on...if there are 250 more...what's the big problem?
Oh dear - this thread about to explode.

You can see the link to the interview on their FB page.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #83
Erihppas
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
Oh dear - this thread about to explode.

You can see the link to the interview on their FB page.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #84
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Why not just set the ES at a decent size of 750 or a 1000 in the first place?

I really do not understand the 2nd run thing, its really not a limited edition if they can produce more of the same at any moment.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #85
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erihppas View Post
Do you have a link to the entire interview, perhaps?

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, these extra runs. I understand the limited edition thing being part of the whole desireability thing for some people but come on...if there are 250 more...what's the big problem?
I agree to a certain extent.

When I posed the G1 Transformers thing, I would think that since what I would be suggesting would be expensive with certain big LSF characters, a set maximum edition size would be known to the public. However, the inital batch would be very small, and that is so we can gauge how popular each statue would sell. So for instance,

Bruticus 40" LSF (max edition: 150) (initial run: 50) Price = $999.

Its too hard to tell how many fans will fork over $1K even though Bruticus is arguably the most popular combiner, so we would let everyone know before hand that a max of 150 would be made, no matter how popular and wanted it was. But, we would only do an initial run of 50 so as not to overproduce and waste resources and money. Lets say Bruticus is a smashing success, and we wind up making 2 more runs to max our 150, that remains the max we will do, and it would be closed at the end of 150.

If its done this way, I think its fair to all parties. Not only to those who like extremely limited statues, but also the general fans that had ample time to know up front what the deal was.

Its easier to make a big edition for the most popular characters and not really be worried about overproduction.

Optimus and Megatron at 22" - 24" at a price of $399would probably sell through a complete run of 500 - 750 pretty easy.

In any case, this isn't too big a deal to me what Syco or any company (SS included) is doing. At the end of the day, whether a specific number is shown or not, the statue will still be very limited.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #86
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post

I really do not understand the 2nd run thing, its really not a limited edition if they can produce more of the same at any moment.
Because its really hard to gauge just how popular a video game statue line will sell. With a property so worldwide widespread like DC and Marvel, setting a 750 or 1000 ES is fine because more than likely, it will sell out (which about 95% of SS stuff usually does). But MK, SF, Thundercats, MOTU and tons of other childhood licenses is much harder to guestimate as to what will sell in big numbers. So if Syco keeps the number small initially, if they sell out and there is more demand for the statues from fans, they can make more but probably in a smaller run. The end result is more than likely going to still be way under 750 for 10" statues. They aren't or haven't done it on their 18" PFs yet for all I know.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #87
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you list an ES as limted (say 250) and demand is high, then you have unsatisfied collectors and a lot of money left on the table to be had by the secondary market. You list it at 1000 and demand is not what you thought, you are left w/ too much product.

This is pretty much why you see SS almost exclusively going to ES being listed as "TBD" or "Open" during the ordering process. Good for them because it allows them to gauge demand, but bull---- for collectors because we have no idea how limited a piece is until we have already forked over a NRD.

I'm assuming eventually Syco will use the same strategy as it will allow them to gauge demand upfront and avoid second runs and the crybabying that goes along with that.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #88
SycoCollectible
Kindly Asked To Leave

i can see this is coming an issue, everything Syco do will always have an issue with some guys, weird !!
well, i really dont have to explain myself, but still i will, in the first place we didnt produce the whole limited edition run, we only produced half cause it was one of the very first statues we did, and we didnt know what is the market, so after the great demand and the big success we did with mortal kombat license, we have enough orders to produce the other half so we are doing so
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #89
loricstone
Kang

That's exactly what I thought you guys were doing. I, for one, have no problems with this.

In fact, congrats! It tells me your MK license is doing very well, and for a MK fan, that's great news!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #90
rad0324
Fantastic Four

Bottom line is, collect because you love the hobby not because there is only 250 for example and you want to flip it on ebay.
Closed Thread