Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Mean Green
Fantomah

That Vegas con has an AMAZING line-up. And Rob, I'm sure you'll have plenty of things to do outside of the con
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
jasong888
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

so what is the morriscon? for the price of admission it seemed more like a tribute party to the guy instead of a convention.
jasong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

the vegas con looks to have a top notch guest list. if its a small one you will have a field day getting great talent to contribute to your collection.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong888 View Post
so what is the morriscon? for the price of admission it seemed more like a tribute party to the guy instead of a convention.
that was my take also ... almost like you are paying a ton of cash just to hang out with the guy. Don't see the collecting/hobby ROI on that show

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
that was my take also ... almost like you are paying a ton of cash just to hang out with the guy. Don't see the collecting/hobby ROI on that show
no, i think youre misunderstanding the whole idea. youve gotta look at it differently. ive seen it described as a "back stage pass" rather than a ticket. ever been to a con and you stand in line for something, get to the front, get what you wanted signed or bought, and then get scurried along? maybe just ending up with a handshake or a print or whatever it is? this is a more intimate con. its not a giant vending/advertising orgy like all other cons, its, as i understand it, an amazing meet/greet convention with some of todays greats.

in my opinion, Robert Kirkman is a modern day Stan Lee. the guy has been around for longer than most think and has his hands in all kinds of amazing comic book stuff. for him to blow up in todays comic book scene like he has, thats incredible, same as Lee did back in 60's. now, of course, im a huge Invincible fan, but Invincible aside, Kirkman is still currently writing at least 4 series monthly, on time. not only that, but writing and developing television series and creating new books annually, thats crazy! at Morrisoncon, im gonna get to sit down and talk to the man. not just a handshake and a quick pic, an actual conversation. ive been writing something for the past 4 months that im finishing up this month and gonna pitch to him.

also, Jim Lee is gonna be there. cant say enough about the guy.

now, im not sure about sketches and commission opportunities at this con, not really going with any expectations there, although i do want a few contributions to my headshot jam (maybe score Asher his "grail" Jim Lee Penguin sketch). im more excited about meeting the guys, thats worth it to me.

i did ask my wife to keep an eye on me though. Las Vegas and i have a turbulent past, usually ending up with consuming waaaaaayy too much vodka and losing money gambling. gonna try to curb my gambling and vodka consumption, and focus on the art/artists. lol, yeah right. VEGAS BABY!

from the Morrisoncon website:
"MorrisonCon was conceived as an intimate gathering of comic creators and their fans, so the attendance was kept deliberately small. While we are sure that Grant could name hundreds of comic creators that inspire him, and we could certainly find several thousand more fans who would want to meet him and his guests...by limiting the number of guests and attendees we can infuse MorrisonCon with a sense of something really unique, keep your interactions personal, and create an event that is truly memorable for us all. The true centerpiece of MorrisonCon is the exchange of ideas and experiences, not commerce, so unlike traditional comic conventions MorrisonCon is not designed with a room for vendors or exhibitors. This means that the only exhibitors at MorrisonCon will be our special guests."
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
jasong888
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

i guess it's because i'm not a super huge fan of morrison that turns me away from this. i am a huge fan of jim lee though. i didn't know kirkman was going to be there also. however, if i'm spending over $500 for a pass to get in...i would really hope i walk away with SOMETHING more than just a conversation with the guys as great as they are. for $500...i just can't take that chance that i'd be able to get some art requests from these guys.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Simplyrob

Quote:
i just can't take that chance that i'd be able to get some art requests from these guys.
oh, i totally understand that. i wasnt really thinking of this in that sense. as i stated, i wanna pitch something to Kirkman. honestly, hes really the only reason im going. to me, this con seems like the right spot to share ideas. the fact that ill be able to put some of my work into Kirkmans hands is worth the money.

Morrison is really far out. ive tried to catch up on a bunch of his stuff the last few months so i could have some conversation material for when i meet him, but, holy smokes. dudes way out there. mostly, im going for Kirkman. also, wife and i celebrating out 10th anniversary in Vegas, cant beat that.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
jasong888

btw big congrats rob to you and your wife! i'm sure you'll have an awesome time in vegas. let me know if you need any suggestions or what not.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

What about the Long Beach Comic Con. I haven't been yet but it seems like it gets a good guest list.

http://www.longbeachcomiccon.com/
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #20
Simplyrob

Quote:
btw big congrats rob to you and your wife!
thanks man! we spent our 3rd anniversary in Vegas also. went to Vegoose music festival its first year. that was awesome. i told my wife i bought tickets for the Vegas Expo this year also and she was way cool with it. this is gonna rival that 2005 Nevada anniversary trip. finally got her reading Invincible now too, about time. sheesh.

2005 in LV = Dave Matthews (twice) and The Shins
2012 in LV = Robert Kirkman and Jim Lee