Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #21
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I never read his Marvel stuff. What made it bad?
This alternate opinion considers his Marvel work to be the best of his career: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...-all-time.html
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #22
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Very little character development, slow and plodding, just dull.
Ive also found his work to be pretty...I dont know...if slow is the right now...methodical? I mean he does try to make a point with his writing, it just takes a while to get their?

Def an acquired taste - like Bendis or even Morrison
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #23
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
This alternate opinion considers his Marvel work to be the best of his career: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...-all-time.html
I noticed his Avengers Ominibus vol 1 is getting kind of pricey. I think I'll check out his Image stuff.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #24
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
Ive also found his work to be pretty...I dont know...if slow is the right now...methodical? I mean he does try to make a point with his writing, it just takes a while to get their?

Def an acquired taste - like Bendis or even Morrison
Probably fair. Can’t stand Morrison’s writing, with the exception of All Star Superman. I liked Bendis’ work on Alias, Daredevil and New Avengers.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #25
Demona
Martian Manhunter

X-Men is just such a confusing hot mess of books for me that it's hard to figure out what to read that has substance and connects together. I try to get back in, but it's daunting. So daunting that I usually stop trying.....go back to my long boxes....and pull out the beautifully drawn and written Claremont comics and early 90s X-Men.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #26
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
X-Men is just such a confusing hot mess of books for me that it's hard to figure out what to read that has substance and connects together. I try to get back in, but it's daunting. So daunting that I usually stop trying.....go back to my long boxes....and pull out the beautifully drawn and written Claremont comics and early 90s X-Men.
I recommend X-Men Blue by Cullen Bunn. And Try Omnibuses, they usually collect the good stuff in them.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I don't consider anything published after Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run to be essential X-Men reading.

Bendis' story bringing the original team forward in time was good at first (Kitty Pryde warning adult Cyclops that he's never allowed to be alone with teen Jean Grey ever, was one of the more memorable scenes), but it went on too long. It should have been a maxi-series.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #28
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I don't consider anything published after Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run to be essential X-Men reading.

Bendis' story bringing the original team forward in time was good at first (Kitty Pryde warning adult Cyclops that he's never allowed to be alone with teen Jean Grey ever, was one of the more memorable scenes), but it went on too long. It should have been a maxi-series.
I agree. I really liked it at first but bailed after the first year or so. It just lost steam.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #29
XSE
Nightwing

So Hickman has now said that this is not an alt-universe or time travel story, it looks like the references to the past will be the “data pages” that will be included in the issues, I guess somewhat streamlining and explaining the history of the X-Men. Also read that Cannonball and Sunspot will not be a part of his X-Men.
XSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #30
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Jonathan Hickman Calls X-Men Continuity “Random Unconnected Gibberish”: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06...utm_content=PN

He's not wrong.