Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 12-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #381
Tempest
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkydoo View Post
I'm jealous of the fact your caped variant just plopped into place. Plus it looks like there's minimal bending in her ankles on that piece. Most if not all the images I've been seeing seem to have a lot of buckling in her ankles.

It could be possible I just received the wrong base, but it did have a #2 sticker on it. In fact, it left a lot of residual glue on the base so that was the focus of my initial concern because it wouldn't come off.

I wonder if they'll deal with this at all. Especially considering it's more likely to stress fracture over time. Have you decided if youre going to contact them about it?
Oh I had some difficulty with the cape top going in. I had to dig out the hole in the skirt base some and heat the cape up a little to get it al to fit.

Yeah my skirt legs have no bend since they went right in, my non skirt however does. I also had to dig out the hole a little in that one for the top to go in. Major quality control issues on these and the factory had to lie to Chad. I emailed him about all these issues and have not heard a word back, nor have I seen him post a response on any of the boards. Very disappointing after a 2 year wait.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #382
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I highly doubt Chad will do anything like this again. I also think the factory did fit a few together but not all of them obviously. So they basically lied to Chad about it. No way mine (Bikini Legs) was fitted beforehand. I have had statues settle a bit in shipping but nothing like this.

I seem to remember he was told that all tops and bottoms would work together as well by the factory. Which is also not the case. Mine are not interchangeable without a lot of work.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:43 AM   #383
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I highly doubt Chad will do anything like this again. I also think the factory did fit a few together but not all of them obviously. So they basically lied to Chad about it. No way mine (Bikini Legs) was fitted beforehand. I have had statues settle a bit in shipping but nothing like this.

I seem to remember he was told that all tops and bottoms would work together as well by the factory. Which is also not the case. Mine are not interchangeable without a lot of work.
I am pretty sure you are correct. I don't think people realize how ambitious of a project this was.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:59 PM   #384
ETW_Curator
Mephisto

My assembly experience was similar to the others, and I did not let them rest and get "to room temperature" at all - which I thought sounded like an odd approach anyway.

I immediately took them out and started by roughly assembling the parts labeled "2" together (cape and skirt combo) and then assembled the others accordingly to see if they simply fit, or needed some additional effort.

I did have to heat the torsos with a hair dryer for 10-12 minutes on both medium to high heat (alternating) in order to get them to seat as expected. Mostly, I found, it was one hand position that was preventing the waist from being seated as tightly as possible, so I used some extra heat there and finally got it.

The foot pegs on both were about 1/8 off, so not as bad as some and they eventually went in cleanly without any distortion or extra working needed. The "2" base is very "angled" once put together with the portrait facing front, but there was no forcing or manipulation that caused that - it's just how it was molded/tooled. Definitely much different to the other base.

The non-cape torso did not fit tightly into the trunks legs, and the key has a fair bit of rotational play and wants to rotate counter-clockwise about 1/16" which makes the middle of the belt off-center with the trunks, and causes a gap in the seam on one side behind the hand. For this, I used a small dab of Fun-Tac inside the recess to keep the torso piece where I wanted it to be which, in turn, tightened up the seam correctly. Once that was positioned, I noticed during my photo shoot that the head on the non-cape version was mounted slightly off center. So, in choosing to center the portrait for my "hero" photo, you will notice the bodice appears to be turned a bit, but the center of the belt is still centered with the trunks/legs.

After keeping them assembled like this for the first 2 weeks, I swapped the torsos for the first time during my photo shoot and found that they swapped just fine and actually really easily. In fact, the non-cape torso seats much better into the skirt version, but since she never wore the skirt without the cape in the series, I did not keep her that way, and only took that photo for reference to the original "Exclusive Edition" without the cape add-on and then swapped them back.

I have not (and will not) try swapping the legs/bases. I have kept them assembled as instructed, and only swapped the torsos to show both version of each maquette variation. I have also been checking them daily and thankfully nothing has shifted.

Beyond the assembly differences noted above between the two pieces, other factors that occurred to me as I was working with these pieces under close-inspection -- which further contribute to them not being truly a "matched set" -- are:
> The caped portrait has full-color printed decals for the eyes, lashes AND brows, while the non-cape version only has decals for the eyes, but the lashes and brows are fully painted. The non-caped version is a much softer and more accurate portrait of Lynda as a result.

> The flesh tones/airbrushing on the caped torso are significantly darker/pinker than the other

> The tiara star on the caped torso is very sharp, and is likely either imprinted or a decal, while the other is obviously painted and not as precise.

Seeing the pieces in person finally after all this time, there is a lot to appreciate about how intricate the scope of the project and the detail of the finishing are compared to other statues. But also many obvious and frustrating QC issues that seem to not justify the wait time and end result. As I was fussing with the assembly originally, I said to myself I honestly would have been happier with the two distinct maquettes also offered, rather than have to deal with all of this just to be able to swap pieces that don't really fit properly when swapped anyway.

Correcting/reversing the cape paint early-on was appreciated for accuracy, and the later adjustment correcting the number of stripes from the painted sample shown, however you can still see the original sculpted lines for stripes in the casting which is a bit distracting for the (now) solid red half. The omission of the small stars on the bracelets is a major detail that is missing as well, which could have been easily achieved with painted red "dots", imprint or even as decals (like the eyes) for all the extra time these were kept in production.

Despite everything, I do enjoy having them on display as a pair side-by-side!
ETW_Curator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:04 PM   #385
Tempest
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post

I know he posted pics of a lot of pieces of each completely assembled, but there's no way. I know the original release had the 2 legs and 1 base so I can only assume they made new legs and base for the special release. It's not possible 1 base would fit both of these.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:43 PM   #386
barkydoo
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETW_Curator View Post
As I was fussing with the assembly originally, I said to myself I honestly would have been happier with the two distinct maquettes also offered, rather than have to deal with all of this just to be able to swap pieces that don't really fit properly when swapped anyway.
I kept thinking the same thing. Especially considering once they're together you're taking a big risk swapping them out. I still cannot get one pair of legs completely onto the base.
barkydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:07 PM   #387
ScoobyDoo
The Spirit

I just bought this from tweeterhead and their sale. 21% of and it came to $335. I’ve been reading on the problems and I hope I don’t have any problems, statue itself looks good!
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:14 PM   #388
barkydoo
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I hate TH customer service, wrote them weeks back about a replacement and haven't heard a peep from them... I've gotten better customer service from FB groups that do custom statues... I'm done with TH...
Did you ever receive a reply or resolution?
barkydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:17 PM   #389
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkydoo View Post
I kept thinking the same thing. Especially considering once they're together you're taking a big risk swapping them out. I still cannot get one pair of legs completely onto the base.
Agreed to both. I’ve had mine for almost a year now (the non cape skirt variant) and even though I love it I don’t think it would have been worth waiting for so long, especially since I really prefer just the shorts version.
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #390
jodl73
Doh!

I was wondering if anyone here is still waiting for theirs. I am surprised to see that some you have had yours for a while now, almost a year? I put a deposit back in July 2018 and paid the balance in February of last year. I haven’t gotten a shipping notice or anything.
jodl73 is offline   Reply With Quote