Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #421
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
IF XM knew anything about the character, to get an Asian looking portrait approved they should have said it is Kwannon as Psylocke. Done and done. Then let Disney veto or approve.
More "Done and Gone", thats not how the license world works.
GrumpyBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #422
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
They didn't approve it because Betsy is back to her British body again. But they approved the Japanese costume lol.
Yeah, really. I mean, the costume is still being used, just not by Betsy. As someone mentioned, they could have said "Kwannon as Psylocke" or something to that effect, in order get the OK from Marvel.
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #423
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josado View Post
Yeah, really. I mean, the costume is still being used, just not by Betsy. As someone mentioned, they could have said "Kwannon as Psylocke" or something to that effect, in order get the OK from Marvel.
Now now, according to Grumpy "that's not how it works" except I'm sure that XM has NO IDEA that Kwannon is Japanese and is currently in the comics in this exact same outfit looking like Psylocke from the 90s.

Don't know who you're trying to gaslight, Grumpy, but it's XM who has no idea about these characters. Not me. Which is fine enough until a classic look is ruined by this lack of knowledge (such as here). Unless you can get me a rep in here to say they tried saying, "We are making this statue of Kwannon..." and the pitch failed, well, I'm sure they had no idea. If they had, I see no reason why Disney/Marvel would veto the creation of a character that is accurate to every aspect of the character.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #424
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Eh, both this and the regular SS missed the mark (at least for me), the only good licensed Psylocke of this round is the X-force SS one.

If you end up liking this Psylocke enough for PO cool for you.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #425
Peedi
The Secret Six

So the consensus is or XM said they couldn’t get an Asian head approved because Betsy is no longer Asian in the comics? Am I interpreting this correctly?

If so that doesn’t make any sense. There has never been a white woman in this particular costume. It’s either been Asian Betsy or Kwannon in this costume, so it wouldn’t matter if Betsy is back to being white, ninja costume Psylocke is always Asian. It’s been that way for 30 years.

If we want to get specific, Betsy became white again during The Hunt for Wolverine. She was still Psylocke in the next volume of Uncanny but she wore a completely different costume. The Hand Ninja costume didn’t come back until Kwannon took the name Psylocke and brought the costume back once Dawn of X started. So it still stands, Psylocke in this particular costume has always been Asian.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #426
kvsm23vs24
Frackin!

Wait so which Psylocke is this?
kvsm23vs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #427
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
So the consensus is or XM said they couldn’t get an Asian head approved because Betsy is no longer Asian in the comics? Am I interpreting this correctly?
Just a discussion, XM dont said it.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #428
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Now now, according to Grumpy "that's not how it works" except I'm sure that XM has NO IDEA that Kwannon is Japanese and is currently in the comics in this exact same outfit looking like Psylocke from the 90s.

Don't know who you're trying to gaslight, Grumpy, but it's XM who has no idea about these characters. Not me. Which is fine enough until a classic look is ruined by this lack of knowledge (such as here). Unless you can get me a rep in here to say they tried saying, "We are making this statue of Kwannon..." and the pitch failed, well, I'm sure they had no idea. If they had, I see no reason why Disney/Marvel would veto the creation of a character that is accurate to every aspect of the character.
It´s easy, open your own company and find out.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:22 PM   #429
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
Just a discussion, XM dont said it.
EAXCTLY they didn't because they didn't know to ask. So me "opening my own company" wouldn't change the fundamental issue that XM doesn't really know much about the characters of the statues they make. Which is both good and bad. In this instance, it was a negative. That being said, you and others blindly following and backing up their uninformed decisions doesn't help them or anybody really.

Also, it's not much of "a discussion" when you don't have any discussion points and just think those who disagree are incorrect and XM is always right. That's unfair and ridiculous.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:25 PM   #430
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24 View Post
Wait so which Psylocke is this?
This is literally no Pyslocke you have ever seen because it's non-Japanese (white) Betsy in the Psylocke costume. Which never happened in the comics.

Currently in the comics, this suit and name Psylocke are used by Kwannon. Back in the 90s it was Betsy as Pyslocke in the Japanese body of Kwannon.

Pretty much what you have here is a white girl doing her best cosplay in the Danger Room with this statue. But hey...totally cool if you like that sort of thing.

Edit: For the record, XM doesn't even know which "Psylocke" they created because their marketing page for the statue says: "Psylocke possesses a range of psionic and psychic abilities. When putting her psionic powers to use, she often wields “psychic knives” or other psychic blades to disarm her opponents. In addition to her mastery of hand-to-hand combat, she is a skilled stealth fighter and can even stage telepathic attacks from afar."

Also, isn't it just commonly one psychic knife or two katanas?