Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
That's for sure.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I don't think this means the end of cable, but instead the end of bundling. Cable will finally offer you the option of buying only the channels you want and not force you to subscribe to the hundreds you don't.
ParisDean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I don't think this means the end of cable, but instead the end of bundling. Cable will finally offer you the option of buying only the channels you want and not force you to subscribe to the hundreds you don't.
And as such, many of those stations will go out of business as very few will pay for them. Give it 5 or so years and many Cable companies will be struggling.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I don't have cable. I closed my contract 5 years ago. I stream all my movies and TV shows, get my news online and I couldn't be happier. I was paying too much for just too little.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Thank goodness. The cable companies here stick HBO in super expensive movie packages that I have no desire to own (save HBO).
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I think there is a major misconception of how cable tv works. Most people seem to think they're paying for things they don't use by being forced to buy bundles rather than having channels offered Ã- la carte. What they don't realize is that going to an Ã- la carte system would have unintended consequences. First off you'd see a lot of channels available today simply disappear. Others would merge and the price of the most popular channels would skyrocket. Bottom line is in the current bundle system the specialty channels that make up a good portion of any TV package are subsidized by the popular programming that appeals to a wider audience. The reason networks demand cable providers bundle their channels is that hit shows and popular channels represent only a fraction of the content that large media companies like Disney, Warner or NBC produce and programmers need some way of monetizing their niche content. So while bundles don't work especially well for a lot of consumers they're kind of a necessary evil until a better system is figured out, but going Ã- la carte is not the answer.

Cable companies aren't going to be "struggling" as a result of a television shakeup anytime soon either. TV service is but one of the many products they offer, high speed internet being the most significant. People streaming will still need an internet connection and that is currently their number one selling product.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I think there is a major misconception of how cable tv works. Most people seem to think they're paying for things they don't use by being forced to buy bundles rather than having channels offered Ã- la carte. What they don't realize is that going to an Ã- la carte system would have unintended consequences. First off you'd see a lot of channels available today simply disappear. Others would merge and the price of the most popular channels would skyrocket. Bottom line is in the current bundle system the specialty channels that make up a good portion of any TV package are subsidized by the popular programming that appeals to a wider audience. The reason networks demand cable providers bundle their channels is that hit shows and popular channels represent only a fraction of the content that large media companies like Disney, Warner or NBC produce and programmers need some way of monetizing their niche content. So while bundles don't work especially well for a lot of consumers they're kind of a necessary evil until a better system is figured out, but going Ã- la carte is not the answer.

Cable companies aren't going to be "struggling" as a result of a television shakeup anytime soon either. TV service is but one of the many products they offer, high speed internet being the most significant. People streaming will still need an internet connection and that is currently their number one selling product.
I personlly could care less if the Home and Garden network would disappear. Hbo will be able to sell their service cheaper as they cut out the middle man (cable companies and their bundled pricing). Internet will turn into a competition of whomever can provide it the fastest the cheapest. As wireless gets more sophisticated, they wont need to spend all the money digging wires. There is a lot of consolidation and changes in this industry coming in the next decade.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I personlly could care less if the Home and Garden network would disappear. Hbo will be able to sell their service cheaper as they cut out the middle man (cable companies and their bundled pricing). Internet will turn into a competition of whomever can provide it the fastest the cheapest. As wireless gets more sophisticated, they wont need to spend all the money digging wires. There is a lot of consolidation and changes in this industry coming in the next decade.
I don't see how companies like HBO will be able to cut out the middle man that is the cable companies when they are the ones providing the internet connection. I don't know how it works in your area, but my cable company is the ONLY way to get a decent internet connection around here. From what I understand it is extremely expensive and would require a significant amount of resources to install new internet connections in areas that are pretty much monopolized by cable.

So while I could in theory save some money by removing the TV portion off my bill, they will still be getting money from me for internet. From there it will only be a matter of time before they decide to jack those prices up to help recoup their loss from people dropping TV in favor of streaming. Until companies like Verizon decide install connections like FiOS in areas dominated by cable companies for some competition, I don't see how this will ultimately be beneficial to anyone.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I don't see how companies like HBO will be able to cut out the middle man that is the cable companies when they are the ones providing the internet connection. I don't know how it works in your area, but my cable company is the ONLY way to get a decent internet connection around here. From what I understand it is extremely expensive and would require a significant amount of resources to install new internet connections in areas that are pretty much monopolized by cable.

So while I could in theory save some money by removing the TV portion off my bill, they will still be getting money from me for internet. From there it will only be a matter of time before they decide to jack those prices up to help recoup their loss from people dropping TV in favor of streaming. Until companies like Verizon decide install connections like FiOS in areas dominated by cable companies for some competition, I don't see how this will ultimately be beneficial to anyone.
I have 3 options for internet in my area. Comcast, AT&T, Century Link,