Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #611
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

should be free with every purchase
k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #612
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Above All View Post
I believe this Thanos on Throne statue should have been painted by now
It probably is. But once it's done, it has to get final approval by Marvel, Sideshow photography, marketing. In all likelihood, they're saving it for 12 days. They're going to use it to anchor a major event.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #613
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
It probably is. But once it's done, it has to get final approval by Marvel, Sideshow photography, marketing. In all likelihood, they're saving it for 12 days. They're going to use it to anchor a major event.
I totally agree. Even if it is all 100% done and approved they might as well save it for that anyways. Hopefully they just drop the price bomb at the same time so I know to hold onto some o that b-day cash!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #614
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newe82 View Post
You are missing one critical element in your statement. The "statue bubble" is real. Casual buyers can justify paying these prices to themselves because history has shown they can at least make their money back when they sell. There is no real risk knowing you can make your money back. Over time those days have disappeared. Those casual customers are realizing SS statues are big losers in the aftermarket. There is now risk of not only not making your money back, but losing 50% of the value. Those customers are not going to buy SS again. They might buy XM or Prime 1, but not SS. Every time SS releases a new piece like DP with a huge ES and price it becomes easier to pass. 10 years ago there was no debate. If I liked a SS piece I ordered day 1. 3 years ago I had to start focusing my buying behaviors and only ordered when I absolutely loved a piece. Today, I can love a piece and pass on it without hesitation.
The statue bubble is real? Only if you have a crystal ball that can predict the future. If a statue bubble for the high end market is real, which I for one am just not buying, Sideshow will see a significant decline in sales from this point forward and again, I don't see that being the case at all as I believe the vast majority of people currently collecting Sideshow statues really don't view thier statues as investments. I guarantee most of the serious statue investors have already exited the Sideshow market and have either ceased collecting or hopped over to XM or Prime 1 as its been very clear for some time now that flipping Sideshow statues for profits was no longer an easy way to make money and that long term potential value with edition sizes being as high as they are....well, its just no longer a smart investment and again thats been clear for at least the last year now.

You literally have millions of people out there who LOVE super hero films and all of them are potential buyers. Sure, most will likely only buy a small number of statues if they do decide to enter the market but that is still enough potential customers to keep Sideshow sales right where they are for a very long time to come.

When you look at the crash of the sports card market and the crash of the comic market in the 90's, you can point to very specific things that caused those markets to crash. In particular you had MASSIVE increases in production and the increases we have seen with edition sizes in the high end statue market don't even begin to compare to the increase in production seen in comic and sports card markets. In fact, I see none of the indicators of an impending crash in the high end statue market right now. So well just have to agree to disagree on this one and wait a few years before we find out just who was right.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #615
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post

When you look at the crash of the sports card market and the crash of the comic market in the 90's, you can point to very specific things that caused those markets to crash. I see none of those indicators in the high end statue market right now. So well just have to agree to disagree on this one and wait a few years before we find out just who was right.
There are indicators. And the danger in bubbles is people not seeing them until it's too late.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #616
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
There are indicators. And the danger in bubbles is people not seeing them until it's too late.
By all means, what are they? Its certainly not over production, at least not in the high end market and that was THE key factor in both the sports card and comic markets crashing. Again, it will literally be years before anyone is proven right or wrong on this issue so again I'll just agree to disagree. I don't see a bubble in the high end statue market. In fact, all I see is more potential growth at this point. The lower end market....well, thats a different matter entirely.

When comic movies and comic TV shows start to see significant declines and the general poplulation really starts to tire of super hero content, then I would revaluate my position on this matter based on trends in the market at that time. Until then the number of new potential customers out there on any given day is absolutely mind boggling.

And for the record, I saw the sports card crash coming from a mile away. I sold my entire collection, which numbered well over 750,000 cards, roughly a year before the market tanked. I bought a brand new Chevy Beretta with the money. If there is any market out there that right now that is a bubble on the verge of busting, its the limited edition digital print market which is why I have cut back on my digital print purchases dramatically and gone back to buying prints made by traditional methods.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #617
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

One thing I do agree with is that I don't see companies having trouble selling 1000-2000 statues regardless of the price. That is such a small segment of a market that is huge. As I've said before if 50 million people saw avengers, 2000 of them liking it enough to buy a capt America statue is not outlandish.

However, I do also see the statue market regressing a bit over the next while. Maybe 5-10 years. I just think there is too much competition, over saturation and increase in price. And as much as people debate with me, I think when real top of the line high quality 3d printers are affordable things will certainly change.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #618
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
By all means, what are they? Its certainly not over production, at least not in the high end market and that was THE key factor in both the sports card and comic markets crashing. Again, it will literally be years before anyone is proven right or wrong on this issue so again I'll just agree to disagree. I don't see a bubble in the high end statue market. In fact, all I see is more potential growth at this point. The lower end market....well, thats a different matter entirely.
There is too much redundancy in product. There was one 1/4 scale Venom for 5 years, now three more are in the works. in 2013, large scale Batmans were non-existent, now there are dozens in the works. Pre-orders are down, and these companies rely on pre-orders for cash flow. Collectors also rely on turning over pieces so that they can keep buying, largely due to space issues, and this is becoming more difficult to do. Lot of pieces being listed on Ebay these days at reasonable prices with no takers, whereas they would've been swept up much quicker just a couple years prior.

Companies are still selling stuff, the after-market is still relatively fine, but more product, more unsold pre-orders, less liquidity, and higher buy-in prices at retail means it's coming in from all sides. Those are indicators. The rapid growth of output from these companies could be a response to growing demand, but it could also be the 'mania' that comes before the downswing. Like you said, hard to say which way it'll go right now, but the conditions for the storm are there.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #619
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Wow , I can not believe what I am reading

trump will sought it out anyway lol
k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #620
Planeswalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Any pics of this yet?
Planeswalker is offline   Reply With Quote