Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #21
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I think I am just about done with statues. It was fun while it lasted but it is too expensive of a hobby for me. I love them, and I'm sure everyone says it, but it is time for now to sell what I have and focus on other stuff. Living in Canada has proved to be especially tough. For example a "cheaper" Sideshow statue is 599. Right off the top that is about $765 Cdn. After taxes, shipping, customs fees, it is easily $1k. For a cheaper statue. I'm looking at what else I can do with that money like get myself a 4k TV or a PS4 or hell, a new coffee maker or microwave or any number of things I keep putting off that would actually probably bring me more happiness than my collection does recently.

Hopefully I can come back when either I make more money or prices have calmed down due to over inflation.

I will still be waiting for #SideshowSurfer2019 though.

Anyone else successfully get out? And is for some reason still posting here?
Me me me

I haven't bought anything more than 2 years now but i'm still posting mostly to the comics and movies sections.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #22
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I definitely can see where everyone is coming from on hear. Over the past 18 months I did sell some statues but I seem to have this problem where some statues I sold I wanted back. So needless to say I just spent time trolling Ebay until I found what I wanted for a very good price. Now if I could find Havok and Polaris for a good price (foolishly sold the Bowen FS over a year ago and later regretted it) but I do think that we would have the 2nd coming of Jesus before that would happen.

Now I will be happy when Bowen comes back because there are a few Marvel Characters I would like to see him do but I guess there are no guarantees they will get done. Since I am both a DC and Marvel person, I am really looking forward to what is coming from Tweeterhead.

So I guess the answer from me is that no, I have not and do not see myself getting out. However, after doing this for a few years I am a little more older and wiser (though I do not know how wise since I still occasionally will sell a statue and then months later regret the sale and look to repurchase it).
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #23
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I had kind of an unusual for me experience lately. 3 things came out with prices in the range of $750-$1400 and I was really excited and loved them and would have just ordered all 3 as usual and did order the $1400 one.

But then something came up so I diverted funds elsewhere and with a little time was really glad I hadn't ordered the two that I had been really excited about and kind of regretted spending $1400 on the one I did order. Not because of the other unexpected expense but just really in general I was glad I hadn't ordered them. I think I am heading in your direction.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
Marcel54
Hellboy

I've been a collector all my life, custom knives, fountain pens, watches, scrimshaw and so on, and what has happened in all these cases is that I stepped in when prices were acceptable and stepped out (and sold my collection) when prices got beyond my means. I am almost at that point with statues. I have focussed my collection over the last couple of years and I think I will be done by the beginning of next year. At that point I have run out of my allocated space and I expect prices to rise even higher and then I am out for sure.
Marcel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #25
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I've got an end game in sight for myself Jonesy. Once the space I've allocated myself for statues has been filled, I'll only purchase a new statue to replace an older one.

I've already started shifting myself to other hobbies such as omnibuses and prints.

You have to wean yourself off like any addiction.

This.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #26
ukshaun
Hercules

My wallet's done but my mind wants more!

So nearly pulled the trigger today on another piece, but held back. I've held off the latest wave of pre_orders, so i've done well. Mentally i'm making a list of future wants of the non ordered pre_orders. I have 7 pre_orders on order, most of which ship this year, leaving 1 remaining for 2019. Come 2019, i might limit myself to 2 pieces per year, which is manageable as far as my wallet goes. So far, i've not wanted to sell a single piece. I doubt i ever will

The new Poison Ivy PF from Sideshow. I like it. I don't like the price. That's that, or is it?
The new Elektra PF from Sideshow looks even better. I can see that being in 2019 have list
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #27
Augen
Metal Men

Being newer to the hobby I guess my experience is different. I always wanted these statues, but I didn't have the money, and I was having to be responsible while I built my business and my life.

Now that life turned a corner and making money have things under control I can have these statues while having other things in life. If it ever becomes a choice I'll give them up, but for now they are a reward to myself. I may get to where some of the more experienced collectors are in five years, for now enjoying it and this helpful site.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #28
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

I've slowed to a crawl, I love statues but the price is just too much for me to buy like I used to. Even 1/6th scales at $300+, I mean really? I'll buy one or two on occasion but I think my money is going more towards other entertainment and also my art needs...like wacom tablets and better PCs.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #29
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Even in the somewhat short time I've collected the whole hobby has exploded! Which I think is very cool, so many more companies, statues, artists, techniques, it's a great time to collect - just hard price wise. I do plan on selling all my statues except for 3. My SS Thanos on Throne, Galactus Maquette, and I have a chromed action bowen surfer. I'll sell that surfer WHEN Sideshow comes out with a new one. That will be my little display and I hope to stay happy with it.

I saw a couple people mention feeling the same way and then their life got in order (finances, family, kids) etc. That is a MAJOR factor in my decision. I'm 2 years married, just got 2 dogs and we want to have kids like now. So I need to get in the best position possible for that. Once all that is in a good spot, who knows maybe in several years I'll buy a statue. I'm sure the landscape will be very different.

Like a lot of you also said, you have always been collectors and so have I. I'll probably go back to ol' faithful and just play more video games - I mean a new game is $80 and provides 20-100 hours of entertainment opposed to a $1000 statue that while amazing... kind of sits there LOL. I hope to stick around, and window shop like what was mentioned - just being honest with myself I may just get jealous of not being involved!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #30
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I'm at 2-3 a year now but feel the same. 1/4 is nice but very few match the versatility to store and display like 1/6th. I feel like the next step for larger scale statues is to do hollow fiberglass molds or PVC.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote