Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > CS Moore Studio

Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #11
rico1701
It's not the years, it's the mileage

Very classy way to handle things. Now I just have to find one of these statues for my collection!
rico1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
sdbuzzcut
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

A few thoughts regarding the Aphrodite IX Artist’s Proof statue debacle…

For all of those who keep saying over and over again what a class act Moore Studios is (because they are replacing defective statues, as would be expected of any merchandiser who ships defective products), consider this:

If this had been a TRUE Artist’s Proof edition, NONE of these defective statues would have been shipped to customers. A true Artist Proof piece is supposed to be released at the same time as the regular edition and is more valuable than the regular edition because it receives very special handling from the artist himself. The artist is supposed to verify the reproduction process is as perfect as possible, and faithfully captures the original and is not in any way defective. Had Clayburn Moore himself carefully examined all of the statues in this Artist’s Proof edition as he should have, none of these statues would have found their way into collector’s hands. This is why Artist Proof editions are usually limited to 10 or 20 pieces, because of the amount of time the artist must spend inspecting the statues. To those of you who ordered an Artist Proof statue in good faith, you didn’t get what you paid for. Even the ones he signed that were defective weren’t caught.

To those of you who think it’s okay because Clayburn Moore shouldn’t be expected to personally inspect 500 pieces, I reply, “Then don’t call it an Artist Proof edition” so that you can “legitimately” release another 500 pieces of a limited edition you sold years earlier.

Moore has re-released an existing limited edition statue (sometimes years later) as an Artist Proof or with a slightly different paint job, reducing the value of the original edition for those that had purchased the original edition in good faith. Yes, Bowen releases a couple variants of a statue but they are all released at the same time and the collectors know in advance there are variants, and make their buying decisions accordingly.

Consider the release of another 50 bronze Barbarian statues. The original edition was supposed to be strictly limited, yet here comes another 50. How does an artist keep releasing statues from a strictly limited edition and keep their status as a class act? If a fine art painter released more reproductions of a painting above and beyond the original edition number they would lose all credibility with the purchasing public.

If you disagree with this, A) you don't know the meaning of "Artist Proof" or "limited edition" or B) you were able to get an Aphrodite statue from this release, having missed out on the original regular edition.
sdbuzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
Gir
Death is hereditary.

I agree that collectors should be informed about variants prior to the release of the first edition. I would never have purchased the original Kabuki statue if I had known a diamond/AP edition was being planned. I ended up selling the original on eBay and then buying the diamond edition.

Of course, tons of producers do this sort of thing. For example, months after the Premium Format Buffy was released, Sideshow announced an "alternate edition" with the same pose, different hair, and a very similar outfit. I'm sure that some people who bought the original are not pleased. On the other hand, I'm pretty happy about it because I passed on the original, and I like this one better.

Have any of you heard of designer toys? It's not uncommon for a designer toy producer to release ten, twenty, or even FIFTY variants of a single sculpt!!! There are about 70 variants of the Skull Bee by Secret Base, and each figure costs about $50 at release. Crazy.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
Clayburn S Moore
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbuzzcut View Post

For all of those who keep saying over and over again what a class act Moore Studios is (because they are replacing defective statues, as would be expected of any merchandiser who ships defective products), consider this:

If this had been a TRUE Artist’s Proof edition, NONE of these defective statues would have been shipped to customers. A true Artist Proof piece is supposed to be released at the same time as the regular edition and is more valuable than the regular edition because it receives very special handling from the artist himself. The artist is supposed to verify the reproduction process is as perfect as possible, and faithfully captures the original and is not in any way defective. Had Clayburn Moore himself carefully examined all of the statues in this Artist’s Proof edition as he should have, none of these statues would have found their way into collector’s hands. This is why Artist Proof editions are usually limited to 10 or 20 pieces, because of the amount of time the artist must spend inspecting the statues. To those of you who ordered an Artist Proof statue in good faith, you didn’t get what you paid for. Even the ones he signed that were defective weren’t caught.

To those of you who think it’s okay because Clayburn Moore shouldn’t be expected to personally inspect 500 pieces, I reply, “Then don’t call it an Artist Proof edition” so that you can “legitimately” release another 500 pieces of a limited edition you sold years earlier.

Moore has re-released an existing limited edition statue (sometimes years later) as an Artist Proof or with a slightly different paint job, reducing the value of the original edition for those that had purchased the original edition in good faith. Yes, Bowen releases a couple variants of a statue but they are all released at the same time and the collectors know in advance there are variants, and make their buying decisions accordingly.

Consider the release of another 50 bronze Barbarian statues. The original edition was supposed to be strictly limited, yet here comes another 50. How does an artist keep releasing statues from a strictly limited edition and keep their status as a class act? If a fine art painter released more reproductions of a painting above and beyond the original edition number they would lose all credibility with the purchasing public.

If you disagree with this, A) you don't know the meaning of "Artist Proof" or "limited edition" or B) you were able to get an Aphrodite statue from this release, having missed out on the original regular edition.
There's a "C", my friend. You don't know what you're talking about and are speaking from ignorance. I have some things to take care of, but I'll deal with this later. Meantime, when someone posts something like this, I like to know who I'm dealing with, otherwise I consider them a coward. My name's Clayburn S. Moore. To whom do I have the dubious pleasure of addressing? We'll speak more soon.

CSM
Clayburn S Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
feeter
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbuzzcut View Post

I really dont think many companies really come out with true AP versions anymore... I think Moore handled this better than any other company would
feeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
GangstaRoranous
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

EDIT- To keep it civil.
GangstaRoranous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #17
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Guys I do not want to close this thread so lets not be tempted to post personal attacks of any kind. So far its been fine but Clay has stated that he will answer the allegations made by the original poster in his own time. Let’s leave it at that.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

ive met clay moore in person and ive dealt with his company and he indeed is a class act,,,
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
Gir
Death is hereditary.

For the record, I am just saying that I would prefer for statue producers to inform collectors of all variants prior to the release of the first edition. I think it would be a "nice" thing to do because many people aren't interested in owning multiple renditions of a sculpt. Of course, producers can do what they want.

This is just a minor complaint. Overall, I'm happy with my dealings with Moore Studios
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
JSA
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Question

I'll be interested to hear what Mr. Moore responds with, as I've been curious on
many AP editions as well. The ones that stand out the most for me are the AP
editions from Hard Hero, that are released at the exact same time as the regular
edition statues, and are no different except for the marking underneath the base.

In that case, it seems the AP shouldn't be any more valued than the regular.
(but we all know that some people go bonkers for low numbers or AP items)

JS
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote