Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 12-01-2018, 02:00 AM   #411
Gothamite
Phoenix

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #412
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

I don't generally care about ES size or what number I get, but I do want my statues to be numbered with a known ES.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #413
cyberpunk12
Shadowhawk

I'm a numbers guy myself... I think it's really cool that Tweeterhead is going to take a different approach based on feedback.
cyberpunk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #414
Detective27
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpunk12 View Post
I think it's really cool that Tweeterhead is going to take a different approach based on feedback.
Detective27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #415
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Yup. If you search for Bowen Artists Proofs on eBay, you'll see that they were numbered "__ out of ----", with a literal dash for the "ES" size. Only Bowen and their factories know how many statues were manufactured.

ES numbering = waste of time
If the company does it that way I agree it's a waste of time... But for collectors who want to collect collectables and not just mass manufactured merchandise an Edition Size is important.. Rarity is a part of collecting to a lot of collectors...

Companies that are pumping out 5000+ statues are not really collectibles even if they have an edition size it's just becomes merchandise at that point IMO...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #416
pdenham
Teen Titans

It's debatable and so much of this seems relative.

To me, anything over a hundred (a few dozen actually) is "mass produced" and certainly well before you've crossed the 1,000 threshold.

In the hoity toity art world, they would laugh at the suggestion of a 750 run of a litho being rare and "limited".
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #417
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post

To me, anything over a hundred is "mass produced" and certainly well before you've crossed the 1,000 threshold.

In the hoity toity art world, they would laugh at the suggestion of a 750 run of a litho being rare and "limited".
True, but in the toy realm for example, like Barbie, they would laugh at the concept of even a few thousand being considered mass produced, so it's all pretty relative.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #418
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post

To me, anything over a hundred (a few dozen actually) is "mass produced" and certainly well before you've crossed the 1,000 threshold.

Your talking about one off paintings that only the super rich can buy.... That's it's own niche... I'm talking about statues of comic book characters that the average person can buy... of course if you want to spend big bucks you can hire an sculptor to make you a high quality one off statue.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #419
pdenham
Teen Titans

A one off painting is called an original.

A litho is short for lithographic print which is a copy of an original work produced through a lithographic process.

Lithos are sold all the time. And while some can get pricey depending on the artist and limitation and specific work, they are generally a much more affordable way to own that given artists work short of tearing a page out of a book or magazine and framing it. They also afford the artist the ability to carefully control quality and reproduction of line and color.

This gallery website suggests artist keep edition sizes to anything under 850 which seems large to me, but whatever

Quote:
The equation is simple – the more limited the edition is, the more valuable the piece. However, producing a limited editions run is not always possible or even advisable for an artist, particularly one in the early stages of his or her career. A well established artist can choose to produce his work as a limited edition of only five pieces and still profit as much as he would for a hundred original prints, but for an emerging artist this tactic would not work at all. Many artists agree that having a larger number for your limited editions run is a wise measure at the beginning of your career.

Having said that, one must also keep in mind that it is disingenuous to create a “limited edition” of an enormous number simply to create a false sense of urgency for potential buyers. Most emerging artists tend to choose a number between 200-500. This way, your limited editions run is not too small to hamper sales and just big enough to interest and satisfy your buyers. Ideally, the number for a large limited edition run should not exceed 850.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #420
rykerw1701
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
Gotta agree with this one. I recall back when I was collecting the Playmates line of Star Trek: The Next Generation action figures and they were all numbered on the bottom of one foot and the company touted this as being a great collectible aspect.... Yeah, right. There were probably a minimum of about 10,000 of these things per figure and THIS was going to make them more cherished????!!!!??? Thought it was idiotic then and still do now. Maybe if we were talking about the actual first car off the assembly line like "Job One" for say, the original Ford Mustang, you might have something worthy of collecting and the distinction.
Yeah I still have boxes of them in my basement and I have no idea what number any of them are. I think the only ones that would matter at all would be number 1 and number 1701. And I think some of those figures were actually made in the 100,000 range. Hence...worthless.

But I digress. If Tweeterhead can make a buck with the numbered statues and collectors like them, smiles all around. If I were them I'd figure out a way to keep the first 100 or so for sales on my website and then send resellers the rest of them.
rykerw1701 is offline   Reply With Quote