Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Possible Requests for next years Mega Con......

After attending a few Mega Cons and even the Mini Con here in Orlando...I thought how is it possible to meet artists that we havent met yet at the show? Why not ask the people who they wanna meet? Is it not only right to ask the fans? We are the 1s attending and spending our money! Why not ask us what we want to see....artists like Art Adams maybe...Bryan Hitch...Jason Scott Campbell...Andy Brase...Peter Steigerwald...so on and so forth. So I wrote an email to info@megaconvention.com...and asked that very same question...the response was...We will see what we can do, but it has to be within their budget for the show...which is completely understandable. I would love to be able to meet Cat Staggs and Chad Spilker....Chase Conley....Wade Furlong....and the other thousands of artists that are brought to our attention here on this forum or other message boards and forums! Then I thought maybe my understanding of what Mega Con really is...is off! Meaning maybe what I thought Mega Con was...really isnt what it is. I have always thought of the Mega Con as a comic book convention....meet artists....comic book industry whos who and so forth, but to me as of late...it doesnt come off that way to me anymore. It seems more games and anime with a touch of Comic Books on the side, but that could be just me. I dont expect it to be all SDCC but variation to me is essential. Dont get me wrong...Jimmy Palmiotti, George Perez, Bily Tucci, and the regulars are all brilliant, but whats wrong with bringing in a new line up every year! Too many artists out there in the Game for us to be introduced to so few....open the door so we all get a chance to meet them. So as I said before maybe my understanding of what Mega Con is...is off. Maybe is enough of us sent requests in for the same artists...maybe that would help get these artists here. Either that and do an Art Con.....I would love to hear thoughts from amongst the cast and crew here on the forum or ones just passing through.....
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
samhain88
U talkin' to me?

I want David Finch and Rob Liefeld there. That is all.
samhain88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

It is not easy as you make it out to be. I've helped bring in artists for Megacon for the past few years.

I've assited on David Finch, Humberto Ramos, Mike Choi, Alvin Lee, and some others that can't be mentioned till next year.

Beth's main goal is to make a profitible and fun show. I can see your point on bringing new people but it's really hard to committ for some artists.

Example.

Olivier Coipel. Was my contact. Had him all set up but with Siege's being backed up he had to back out

David Finch. Had an addittion to his Family. only doing two shows this year.

J. Scott Campbell. Seemed very interested in coming but had prior committments.

emailing her what you want is not going to work.

What will work is if you personally know an artist and refer them to come to the show.

I'm pretty certain their will be two blockbuster stars coming next year that have not ever been to Megacon. Check back in a few months to the Megacon site.

Mike
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

yeah the goings on behind a show are way diff than most people expect, Mega USE to be more of a comic related show but over the years it has transformed into more of a anime pop culture kinda show. what most attendees to shows don't realize is that unless you are SDCC,Heroes,Wizard(corporate owned operated) etc a strictly large comic book based show just makes No money and sadly that's what shows are about making money it is a business.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
liamsynclair

Finch was here 2 years ago....as far as Liefeld...loved him in way back when....it just doesnt seem like his art has matured to me......but would love to meet him none the less
Old 03-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
liamsynclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagouch17 View Post
It is not easy as you make it out to be. I've helped bring in artists for Megacon for the past few years.

I've assited on David Finch, Humberto Ramos, Mike Choi, Alvin Lee, and some others that can't be mentioned till next year.

Beth's main goal is to make a profitible and fun show. I can see your point on bringing new people but it's really hard to committ for some artists.

Example.

Olivier Coipel. Was my contact. Had him all set up but with Siege's being backed up he had to back out

David Finch. Had an addittion to his Family. only doing two shows this year.

J. Scott Campbell. Seemed very interested in coming but had prior committments.

emailing her what you want is not going to work.

What will work is if you personally know an artist and refer them to come to the show.

I'm pretty certain their will be two blockbuster stars coming next year that have not ever been to Megacon. Check back in a few months to the Megacon site.

Mike
They were all awesome to meet...especially Ramos and Alvin Lee....so big ups to help bringing them in....Choi was brilliant.....but why not ask who the fans would love to meet instead of assuming who they want to meet....or have a way to help bring them down to the show.....I love Mega...it was my gateway into this awesome world of art and artists....I just would hate it to go 180 and turn into something other than what it was supposed to be.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
liamsynclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
yeah the goings on behind a show are way diff than most people expect, Mega USE to be more of a comic related show but over the years it has transformed into more of a anime pop culture kinda show. what most attendees to shows don't realize is that unless you are SDCC,Heroes,Wizard(corporate owned operated) etc a strictly large comic book based show just makes No money and sadly that's what shows are about making money it is a business.
Ur absolutely right when u say most people dont understand the behind the scenes of it all....but I do know if something once a year....is the relatively the same every year with minor changes...how long before people make themselves options of going or not? It used to be must see, a definite no brainer...but after 5 years in a row....basically same guest package...it has become an option. 1 or 2 changes to the line up isnt enough to keep loyal fan support in my opinion, people opt to go out of town to get their art fixes...or even online dealings...in short I would hate to see the Con be a thing of the past!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsynclair View Post
Ur absolutely right when u say most people dont understand the behind the scenes of it all....but I do know if something once a year....is the relatively the same every year with minor changes...how long before people make themselves options of going or not? It used to be must see, a definite no brainer...but after 5 years in a row....basically same guest package...it has become an option. 1 or 2 changes to the line up isnt enough to keep loyal fan support in my opinion, people opt to go out of town to get their art fixes...or even online dealings...in short I would hate to see the Con be a thing of the past!
the sad point is cons ARE becoming a thing of the past besides the large corporate owned shows. Most art guests that you have not seen come down to mega or etc don't want to come to "smaller" shows or shows they have not dealt with before. Yes most shows pay the artists airfare hotel room and give them a per diem so besides their time they are out nothing and who knows spend 3 days at a new show and you might sell a lot of art or they sell nothing and got a trip for free. It's all politics behind the scenes. I have attended every mega there has been but 3 since it began and the show has changed a lot over the years.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Dude again it's harder to get these guys than you think?

Beth knows a lot of people in the comic industry and has traveled to other cons when she worked for Crossgen.

The thing is getting the artists to committ to the show. You can bombard her with emails from a ton of fans but that doesn't mean jack if she can't get them to committ. That being said I've used my personal connections on getting some of these artists here. Some successfull some are a work in progress. I'm pretty certain a well known artist will be at Megacon next year for the first time.

In the past 10 years Megacon has had for example

J. Scott Campbell
Joe Maduiera
Humberto Ramos
Bryan Hitch
John Romita Jr and Sr.
Walt Simonson
John Byrne
Mike Wieringo
Frank Cho

Now what you can do to help the convention is if you know any artists personally get with them about Megacon and tell them how great the show is and refer them off to Beth with their contact info.

Mike
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=157
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
liamsynclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagouch17 View Post
Dude again it's harder to get these guys than you think?

Beth knows a lot of people in the comic industry and has traveled to other cons when she worked for Crossgen.

The thing is getting the artists to committ to the show. You can bombard her with emails from a ton of fans but that doesn't mean jack if she can't get them to committ. That being said I've used my personal connections on getting some of these artists here. Some successfull some are a work in progress. I'm pretty certain a well known artist will be at Megacon next year for the first time.

In the past 10 years Megacon has had for example

J. Scott Campbell
Joe Maduiera
Humberto Ramos
Bryan Hitch
John Romita Jr and Sr.
Walt Simonson
John Byrne
Mike Wieringo
Frank Cho

Now what you can do to help the convention is if you know any artists personally get with them about Megacon and tell them how great the show is and refer them off to Beth with their contact info.
Thats what I wanted to know.....not knocking the show....just want to know how to be able as a fan, to see fave artists across the game field....I would love to see the Mega Con be the SDCC of the East Coast...there has to be a way....

Last edited by galactus; 03-31-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fixed quote