Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
john h.
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsynclair View Post
I would love to see the Mega Con be the SDCC of the East Coast...there has to be a way....
Sadly that's not going to happen soon.

The New York Comicon (Reed Productions) is the

SDCC of the East Coast.

Beth also isn't running the convention in the red to

bring in more comic guests. She usually has 6 - 12

Special comic guests per year. Meaning that she

pays 2 airline tickets, hotel, and transportation for

each guest. And just because she wants to bring in

an artist, that artist must want to commit to the

convention. A few other comic guests get 1 part

of the package paid for them. MOST artists in

Artist Alley are paying on their own dime. So you

can see why some artists don't do every show.

You'd be surprised on how many

artists don't like to travel and only attend their

local shows. But the main thing is to get artists

EXCITED about attending MegaCon.

John H.
john h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h. View Post
Sadly that's not going to happen soon.

The New York Comicon (Reed Productions) is the

SDCC of the East Coast.
Never had the pleasure of attending the NYCC...stayed in NY for awhile but never made it to 1.....what is it about the NYCC that makes it the SDCC of the East Coast? Is it te Con itself or is it the city?

We all know SDCC is the Big Leagues...and we know why.....NYCC has all that glam as well?

Anyone attending should be Excited that there are fans and loyal fans at that....that want to see them and meet them...shake their hands and tell them how their art inspires us and all that...that should be Excitement enough....sounds more like incentive is needed...

Last edited by galactus; 03-31-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: fixed quote
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Anyone attending should be Excited that there are fans and loyal fans at that....that want to see them and meet them...shake their hands and tell them how their art inspires us and all that...that should be Excitement enough....sounds more like incentive is needed...
I get your enthusiasm man, but you gotta realize that artists aren't movie stars. They're not getting paid a ton of money to do their jobs. They have to keep working, HARD, to do what they do. Very few names (like Jim Lee) can just get work off their name alone. Only that comes from busting their ass and producing awesome work, for a long time. If they can't commit to a show because of a deadline, then they won't. It's more important that they keep their job than be able to attend a convention, regardless of how much you want to see them, or they want to see their fans.

Sometimes it's not even a deadline. It could be financial, say they have to pay for their table at the con, because their not a guest, maybe they can't afford to this trip? They've got bills and responsibilities, and in a lot of cases families too. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Also, think about how much work they do. Usually, an artist will work 6-7 days a week for 10-15 hours a day on average, if they're getting a steady stream of work. If you were working that much, wouldn't you want a break too? Like I said, they are people as well. The need for personal time will arise, and I dunno about you, but my personal time doesn't involve meeting a bunch of people I don't know and sitting in a hot convention hall for a weekend.

The convention organizers and promoters do their best to get awesome lineups. Instead of hounding them about how they need to do more and get better guests, how about sending a thank you message telling them how much you enjoyed the show, what your favorite things were and how can't wait to see what they can do for that stuff next year?

Given enough time, you'll get to see most everyone you want to. I suggest checking out some more conventions instead of waiting for everyone to come to you if you're in a hurry.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
liamsynclair
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Head View Post
I get your enthusiasm man, but you gotta realize that artists aren't movie stars. They're not getting paid a ton of money to do their jobs. They have to keep working, HARD, to do what they do. Very few names (like Jim Lee) can just get work off their name alone. Only that comes from busting their ass and producing awesome work, for a long time. If they can't commit to a show because of a deadline, then they won't. It's more important that they keep their job than be able to attend a convention, regardless of how much you want to see them, or they want to see their fans.

Sometimes it's not even a deadline. It could be financial, say they have to pay for their table at the con, because their not a guest, maybe they can't afford to this trip? They've got bills and responsibilities, and in a lot of cases families too. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Also, think about how much work they do. Usually, an artist will work 6-7 days a week for 10-15 hours a day on average, if they're getting a steady stream of work. If you were working that much, wouldn't you want a break too? Like I said, they are people as well. The need for personal time will arise, and I dunno about you, but my personal time doesn't involve meeting a bunch of people I don't know and sitting in a hot convention hall for a weekend.

The convention organizers and promoters do their best to get awesome lineups. Instead of hounding them about how they need to do more and get better guests, how about sending a thank you message telling them how much you enjoyed the show, what your favorite things were and how can't wait to see what they can do for that stuff next year?

Given enough time, you'll get to see most everyone you want to. I suggest checking out some more conventions instead of waiting for everyone to come to you if you're in a hurry.
I do every year, and also to be blessed to have been given the opportunity to meet them, thanks is given tremendously to the artists that I do get a chance to meet and see again but I doask for certain artists to be invited.....Im not a spoiled child wanting my way....but as grown people I do think we should be able to ask questions of concerns that matter to us, the fans, the people spending the money to enjoy our time at their show.
liamsynclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
but I doask for certain artists to be invited.....Im not a spoiled child wanting my way....
OK. There's nothing wrong with asking the questions and making the requests, but after reading this thread, and seeing your comments and how you respond like this AFTER, getting valid and reasonable explanations as to why it doesn't work the way you'd like it to:

Quote:
I can't tell if you understand, or if you just don't like the answers you're getting and you're disregarding them completely. Just because an artist isn't on the guest list doesn't mean they weren't invited. Just because you request that someone come to a convention doesn't mean they are going to or even CAN come. These conventions are privileges to us. How many other fields have something like this go on? I pay to see movies. James Cameron doesn't owe me anything, and even if I'd like to go to the set of his next movie and watch him work, that's not something I'm likely to be able to do. If you're tired of the same artists coming to Megacon, then try going to another convention. There's SO many and pretty much anyone you want to meet will be going to some of them at one time or another.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Well said Chris.

Dude I completly understand what you're feeling. I want Todd McFarlane to come to the show but it's very unlikely he will due to work comittments and other priorities.

You can't compare the other show to ours. SDCC is the Mecca. NYCC is in the Media capital of the world. Hard to compete with that. Honestly I never want Megacon to be SDCC. It's a has nice little feel to it.

Nothing wrong on asking questions and trying to make the show better. However when people that have the inner knowledge on how a show works give advice it seems you're not getting it.

Mike
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote