Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #811
supermetroid
Teen Titans

^Kind of reminds me of Nintendo(which I love their games), they're big sticklers for copyright but I saw a video where they almost straight up copied some of their most memorable music. There's a YT vid title "This 80's Song Inspired Mario's Music" if you want to check it out. I get wanting to protect your creations but I think it's pretty hypocritical too lol.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #812
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
^Kind of reminds me of Nintendo(which I love their games), they're big sticklers for copyright but I saw a video where they almost straight up copied some of their most memorable music. There's a YT vid title "This 80's Song Inspired Mario's Music" if you want to check it out. I get wanting to protect your creations but I think it's pretty hypocritical too lol.
The most hypocritical is Disney as they were largely built on updating public domain stories (Snow White, Cinderella, Robin Hood, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, etc.) and then they freak out when Mickey mouse was due to be public domain.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #813
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Yeah it's tricky. I really like Led Zeppelin but I know they "borrowed" plenty of blues music.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #814
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Nearmint - I will take the credit for saying it on here. I totally said they should get sued. See my opinion below

The reason that I would like SS to get smacked down (sued) is because they are a HUGE license bully and now they are trying to get around paying/crediting a creator/license holder. They also get pissed about unlicensed home kits too. It's hypocrisy. That's why they should get sued.

And I want this statue too (assuming the production piece looks great). So I don't want it canceled. I just want honesty AND it to say Dejah Thoris on the base because we ALL know that is who this is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
I see what your saying, I'm assuming they wouldn't knowingly try to screw over somebody since they have much bigger licenses like marvel and DC, but maybe something came up recently after they already had the piece in production, but I agree with you if they are just trying to screw somebody over then that's bad, but possibly somebody has come out of the blue and trying to get license money from them, I have to believe that's what has happened, they still sell tons of Dejah stuff on there website, so it is really strange no doubt
I'm guessing that's exactly what's happening. Sideshow went in with the understanding that the character was in the public domain, someone (the estate?) threatened to sue, and it was just easier for Sideshow to eliminate all references to Dejah Thoris.

I wouldn't assume that Sideshow is trying to get around paying a legitimate license holder without more facts. Litigation to prove the character is in the public domain might not be an expense their willing to take on.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #815
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I'm guessing that's exactly what's happening. Sideshow went in with the understanding that the character was in the public domain, someone (the estate?) threatened to sue, and it was just easier for Sideshow to eliminate all references to Dejah Thoris.

I wouldn't assume that Sideshow is trying to get around paying a legitimate license holder without more facts. Litigation to prove the character is in the public domain might not be an expense their willing to take on.
I read an article this morning when looking into it that was in no way official, but the guy was under the understanding that Public domain only applies to the US so the name could be Trade Marked in another country and if you plan on selling it in those countries you'd need to pay licensing fees.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #816
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
I read an article this morning when looking into it that was in no way official, but the guy was under the understanding that Public domain only applies to the US so the name could be Trade Marked in another country and if you plan on selling it in those countries you'd need to pay licensing fees.
That's interesting. I wonder if that's the wrinkle they bumped into.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #817
Awanagana
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
If the production turns out like prototype this is rare piece I'd actually say is priced below what I'd expect.
maybe not inferior but fair, in line with the prices of the other PF.
I will try to add it to my 2 Red Sonja (mammamia how much money)
Awanagana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:52 PM   #818
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I wonder how many they will make now since this is basically a no-name character.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #819
dechirico7
The Flash

LOL. It will sell no matter what.
1. We all know it is Dejah
2. She is practically naked. VS, you should know better. I am sure you got two on pre-order.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #820
desertdragon
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post

Dejah Thoris is copyrighted by Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc (presumably the company of his estate) and you need their permission to use the name commercially... Dynamite has this permission, but apparently Sideshow does not... Since it took me all of 30 seconds to determine the copyright status of Dejah Thoris, there had to be no way Sideshow could have thought it was in the public domain. If Sideshow was legitimately trying to obtain permission to use the name for the statue, they would have never let it go beyond a prototype before getting approval from ERB in writing. Given that they put this into production without apparent permission from ERB, I can only surmise that they were deliberately trying to flaunt ERBs copyright, and just see if ERB would challenge them, which presumably they did. All in all, a pretty crappy way to do business on Sideshow's part...
desertdragon is offline   Reply With Quote