Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKADixie View Post
These aren't copies of copies. Mine have color bleed throughs, indentions in the color code writings, little repair/tape marks, etc. They are xeroxes of original art shrunk down to copy paper size and then hand colored by the colorist (who is credited in each comic). There is only one of each page on the planet. I understand if you dont like them, but if you dislike them because you think they are copies of copies and there are dozens of each page floating around, you're disliking them for the wrong reason.
Don't take offense but most of the people on this board have graduated to the semi big leagues and go after sketches or original art. Most here are not going to appreciate color guides. By big leagues I don't necessarily mean price just that their looking for a bit more.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I like them if cheap ... like mb said they are colored copies so not a whole lot of value to me personally. I would pick them up if priced reasonably
Exactly - they are not something I would consider going after...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
john h.
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKADixie View Post
What do you guys think of color guides? Are they undervalued & underappreciated one of a kind pieces of comic art or just wastes of time & money? Personally, i dig them. They are affordable pieces of comic art and go great with character collections. I just picked up 9 pages of 70s Green Lantern (114, 117) which all featured Green Arrow and a few bonus Canarys for under $100 shipped. With my collection being limited to only Ollie and Two-Face, it is hard to find decent pieces (much less cheap!)

Opinions?
Buy what you like. You don't have to 'follow' the

crowd. The color guides from the 80's and older are

truly underappreciated. That's not saying that there

is a profit (or if it'll retain its value) potential. It is

really a niche market. But your pieces are about $10

apiece which probably is cheaper than the comics

they were produced for. As long as it is really

production art rather than a modern-day xerox, then

you have something unique.

John H.
john h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I wouldnt quite say they're worthless... Ive been offered as high as 600 dollars for a silver age color guide from Justice League of America #2 that I own... And ive seen some fetch decent numbers on ebay int he past... The expensive ones are few and far between, but to say they're worthless is an exaggeration IMO.
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
TAFKADixie
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I'm more of a character collector than an "art" collector anyway. I bought them because they were cool Green Arrow pieces and are indeed one of a kind originals. You can search ebays completed auctions and see while they obviously arent worth original pencil/art pages, they do have some value. There are some pages on there that brought $40-80 and sometimes you can get whole issues for $60. I realize most people on here are more serious collectors, but I also think that alot of people don't get them because they simply have no idea what they are.
TAFKADixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
marikeys
A day without sunshine is like... night.

i would have to agree with a few of you if i have the original art page then i would get color guide other wise i do not care for them
marikeys is offline   Reply With Quote