Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Ok here's the deal with sideshow statues sadly but true.

Ok I'm a very huge Bowen statue fan and koto fan as well. Those statues are amazing. I love so many of them. Then I went into a comic shop today that for once carry sideshow statues. I see them on the shelf and all I can say is drool and drool some more. Just the sheer size of these SS statues made me loose most interest on the Bowen and koto statues. So am I just crazy? Do anyone here have the same feeling about SS? It's making me switch over more and more to pretty much all sideshows now. Every time I look at a SS piece. I mean wow it just looks so awesome. I normally see a Bowen destroyer and say I love all his chrome, or any version destroyers. I would love to own one or two of each version. Then I see the new SS destroyer and it blew me away. I look at it like this if I get the Bowen version of destroyer I will buy 2 to 3 variations over the years. Same with the other great characters. But if I buy a SS destroyer I will only need one massive great looking piece instead. To me that SS destroyer is mind blowing. The new one for 500.00. Yes it's 500.00 but if I buy 2 to 3 Bowen statues it's even more. I never seen a SS statue until yesterday and wow these things are pricey but I would have bought at least 2 of the same characters over the years of my favorite characters anyways. Now I would rather have one super hot piece instead. Any thoughts from collectors here?
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Fremen
Birds of Prey

I'm so sorry to hear you've caught the crack bug.
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Sideshow does some amazing pieces. I mainly collect Sideshow but Bowen still pulls me back once in awhile with amazing statues like the Action Thor.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

IMO, the Bowen and Koto stuff is just way underwhelming in size. I think that the sculpts of the Bowen pieces is many times better, but the size turns me off to them.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I remember the topic you made a few weeks ago asking how we can afford the higher priced pieces...welcome to the (higher priced) addiction

wait until you discover custom pieces...then you're really screwed

but I did the same thing when I started with SS, got rid of the few Bowen pieces I have. Only thing I'm collecting from Koto is the DC Bishoujo line as well as their upcoming classic avengers (Thor, Cap, IM). Other than that I'm sticking with SS' pieces. I'd love to collect all the lines but focusing on only 1 brand is the best thing for my wallet
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
demonhunter
Kingpin

I purchase based on what is most attractive and my budget.

If it is very attractive, very big,but out of my budget for that time, I would have no choice but to skip.

I collect SideShow, Bowen, Kotobukiya.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Y3E
Gen 13

I'm like you Comic, first started buying Bowen and CS Moore and when I saw my first PF, Mystique, I was hooked. I still buy Bowen, CS, and Bishhoujo, but I concentrate mainly on SS PF.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
A Cimmerian
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I don't need to compensate, so size for me is not really important, I focus on the sculpt.

I buy from Bowen, Sideshow and Moore.
A Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Lol yes the bug got me good! How can I pass on the sideshow premium statues. Those things are amazing. Everyone here does have the right thoughts. The same feeling for them as I did. This collecting is driving me crazy but I do enjoy it. Can't wait to kill the wallet with the DC sideshows coming soon. Money gone.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
The way I look at it, why am I going to spend $300 for a much smaller statue when I can get the most definitive version of a character from SS for $40 more (in most cases). Its much bigger, easier to see details, and more commanding as far as presence goes.

This is not to knock any other statue companies products, as they (mainly Bowen) put out some pretty impressive stuff (Action Thor, Juggernaut, Cable, etc.). But I just cannot see myself paying damn near $300 for a smaller size statue.

To keep my money from leaving me too fast, I had to make a decision as to one company, and also had to limit what line of license to invest in (Marvel, DC, World of Warcraft, and Mortal Kombat collectibles). Now I can save money!
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote