Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #1321
QX403
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
I don’t care, my wild and passionate firehair princess, my merciless and sexy lethal weapon, I don’t care about your mark-up, I don’t care about your chinese, viking or martian factory, just, please, COME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will be my lady Vuitton, my Armani statue and I prepared for you a Besta made in compressed sawdust, certainly provided with an obscene mark-up!
And the most important, I have no 3D printer, you will be and will stay my unique, my one of a kind!

PLEASE COME HOME RED SONJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, she's technically a brunette in the new statue, but dream, dream that lovely wet dream.
QX403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #1322
QX403

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
I think you missed the point about competition. There are a limited number of factories that can produce high-end collectibles. The competition comes from the increased number of high-end collectible producers competing for these factories to make their product for them. This allows the factories to charge a premium for their services. And setting up new factories and training new workers is not that easy. Remember the disaster when Sideshow used a new factory for the Marvel comics PFs? Rogue, Psylocke and other statues had major quality problems.

Simple supply and demand. There is insufficient supply of manufacturing services and an increasing demand by more and more producers.
I say we poop (autocorrect, I'm leaving it) our money and commission a statue of Miranda Lawson in her black uniform with a nice lucious behind!
Old 09-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #1323
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by QX403 View Post
Here is an interesting article.

https://boingboing.net/2014/08/25/ho...-produced.html

It's not the case, they have a vested interest in how much they make from these and saying those kinds of things is a justification for continuing to drastically raise the price.

I've given your multiple points of evidence and saying "because the people vested in the sale and profit of these statues say so" isn't a valid counterpoint.

Where do you think all these Facebook groups get their statues from? Salt and Pepper, you have French companies like Attakus, Australian companies like Ikon Collectables, You have guys in the Philippeans doing customs that are sent from China. Facebook groups get custom statues at the same price as Sideshow and their produced in extremely limited numbers drastically raising the price, how is that possible?
I'm not saying there aren't multiple factories doing this work, nor am I trying to give a justification for anything. I do know from multiple sources who are trying to get customs done that there absolutely are levels to how good these factories are, and they charge accordingly. I also know from these sources that there are a small number ( I believe 4) of factories that do all of the main licensed stuff we're talking about here (Sideshow, PCS, Prime 1, XM, etc). I also have it on good authority that you pay for the type of quality you want, it isn't just some flat fee. You also pay based on how complex the piece is, so when you're talking stuff like Attakus and certain customs, you're talking a different pricing strata entirely.

You're saying I'm trying to justify price gouging; I'm saying you're looking for evidence to assert your claim that these things are overpriced, and will use a wide range of products to make your argument, despite the fact that comparing the prices on certain customs, PVC figures, etc to the kind of stuff Prime 1 and SS puts out is apples to oranges.

It's perfectly fine if you or anyone else thinks these things aren't worth the money, but these conversations about manufacturing costs go nowhere because neither you or I are privy to enough data about the costs associated with manufacturing, licensing, distribution, sculptor pay, and every other ancillary cost associated keeping the lights on at these companies, to make concrete assertions about price gouging. And ultimately these are luxury goods/collectibles, not commodities, so any claim as to what these "should" be selling for is arbitrary at best. Even if your random number of $100 per PF cost basis was accurate, what you think they should charge is subjective and arbitrary because we're talking about items with no utility or intrinsic value. Hence the after-market.

If you don't deem Sideshow's products to be worth the asking price, speak with your wallet and let market compulsion work its magic.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #1324
QX403

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I'm not saying there aren't multiple factories doing this work, nor am I trying to give a justification for anything. I do know from multiple sources who are trying to get customs done that there absolutely are levels to how good these factories are, and they charge accordingly. I also know from these sources that there are a small number ( I believe 4) of factories that do all of the main licensed stuff we're talking about here (Sideshow, PCS, Prime 1, XM, etc). I also have it on good authority that you pay for the type of quality you want, it isn't just some flat fee. You also pay based on how complex the piece is, so when you're talking stuff like Attakus and certain customs, you're talking a different pricing strata entirely.

You're saying I'm trying to justify price gouging; I'm saying you're looking for evidence to assert your claim that these things are overpriced, and will use a wide range of products to make your argument, despite the fact that comparing the prices on certain customs, PVC figures, etc to the kind of stuff Prime 1 and SS puts out is apples to oranges.

It's perfectly fine if you or anyone else thinks these things aren't worth the money, but these conversations about manufacturing costs go nowhere because neither you or I are privy to enough data about the costs associated with manufacturing, licensing, distribution, sculptor pay, and every other ancillary cost associated keeping the lights on at these companies, to make concrete assertions about price gouging. And ultimately these are luxury goods/collectibles, not commodities, so any claim as to what these "should" be selling for is arbitrary at best. Even if your random number of $100 per PF cost basis was accurate, what you think they should charge is subjective and arbitrary because we're talking about items with no utility or intrinsic value. Hence the after-market.

If you don't deem Sideshow's products to be worth the asking price, speak with your wallet and let market compulsion work its magic.
I'll ask you this last thing, I don't know if you own one but Gotham city garage statues although smaller have a motorcycle, a base larger than 1/4th characters, high levels of detail (for 1/6th) way more painting and fine area painting a helmet and other stuff, they are polystone and cost half the price of Sideshow 1/4th characters but have as much stuff and detail to cost the same. Why are they half the price or less a lot of the time? Their new batgirl one coming out in 18 which is the same size and scale is 100 dollars.

Why is Rocket Raccoon from Sideshow 300 dollars when he's only 10 inches tall and practically has no base and not very much going on? My Fantasy Figure Gallery Wonder Woman has way more detail, larger base, multiple items, artwork that comes with her as well as a plaque and certificate and was 100 dollars less?

My Kotobukiya Fine Art Rogue which is significantly nicer than rocket raccoon, has a Sentinal hand base, two heads and is 3 times his dimensions cost 100 dollars less, how can you explain that?
Old 09-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #1325
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
I'll ask you this last thing, I don't know if you own one but Gotham city garage statues although smaller have a motorcycle, a base larger than 1/4th characters, high levels of detail (for 1/6th) way more painting and fine area painting a helmet and other stuff, they are polystone and cost half the price of Sideshow 1/4th characters but have as much stuff and detail to cost the same. Why are they half the price or less a lot of the time? Their new batgirl one coming out in 18 which is the same size and scale is 100 dollars.

Why is Rocket Raccoon from Sideshow 300 dollars when he's only 10 inches tall and practically has no base and not very much going on? My Fantasy Figure Gallery Wonder Woman has way more detail, larger base, multiple items, artwork that comes with her as well as a plaque and certificate and was 100 dollars less?

My Kotobukiya Fine Art Rogue which is significantly nicer than rocket raccoon, has a Sentinal hand base, two heads and is 3 times his dimensions cost 100 dollars less, how can you explain that?
Because they have competition?
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #1326
COI

Quote:

These are all good questions, but for the reasons I mentioned above, I can't give you any really good answers, and even if I flat out said it's because Sideshow over-charges, that's neither an informed or comforting answer.

Based on your comparisons above, clearly you see more value, for example, in the Koto Rogue than you do in the Rocket PF, and when it comes down to it being a consumer and a collector is all about laying down your cash where you see value. I do think the Rocket is expensive, and again I have no good answer other than suggesting that Sideshow probably had to pay way more to Marvel to make that Rocket than Koto had to pay to make that Rogue. Even then, that's not going to suddenly make the Rocket worthwhile to you.

People were complaining about the prices of PFs in 2006, and they're complaining now. In the end, you make individual value judgments and reward the products you feel are worth your bread. That's all we can really do.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #1327
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
I say we poop (autocorrect, I'm leaving it) our money and commission a statue of Miranda Lawson in her black uniform with a nice lucious behind!
who is Miranda Lawson?
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:32 PM   #1328
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josado View Post
who is Miranda Lawson?
Miranda Lawson is a human Cerberus Officer modeled by Actress Yvonne Strahovski in Mass Effect.
Amazing how threads go on a tangent !

House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #1329
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I've been waiting for a Maranda statue. I'm not even ashamed to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed looking at that digital booty.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #1330
QX403

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Miranda Lawson is a human Cerberus Officer modeled by Actress Yvonne Strahovski in Mass Effect.
Amazing how threads go on a tangent !

I know right? Not much else to talk about with Red Sonja, you can pre order her, here's some pics, bam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
I've been waiting for a Maranda statue. I'm not even ashamed to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed looking at that digital booty.
I have been also for a long time, don't know if it will happen. Gaming heads is the best bet, I'm not sure why it didn't though as she is a super popular character. Maybe it's something to do with IP and that she's based off a real person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
These are all good questions, but for the reasons I mentioned above, I can't give you any really good answers, and even if I flat out said it's because Sideshow over-charges, that's neither an informed or comforting answer.

Based on your comparisons above, clearly you see more value, for example, in the Koto Rogue than you do in the Rocket PF, and when it comes down to it being a consumer and a collector is all about laying down your cash where you see value. I do think the Rocket is expensive, and again I have no good answer other than suggesting that Sideshow probably had to pay way more to Marvel to make that Rocket than Koto had to pay to make that Rogue. Even then, that's not going to suddenly make the Rocket worthwhile to you.

People were complaining about the prices of PFs in 2006, and they're complaining now. In the end, you make individual value judgments and reward the products you feel are worth your bread. That's all we can really do.
Kind of got off track, obviously you're a Red Sonja fan, I am too, I really like the statue but believe Sideshow is price gouging people at this point. It shows in a lot of forums because people are saying they are no longer buying them or pre-ordering. I'm on the fence about it, I really like the statue a lot (prototype at least) but don't know if I want to make this last purchase with them. Either way it's all good if we don't agree on that point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	107832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	107833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.JPG
Views:	30