Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Sounds like typical behaviour for college students to do such a thing, not saying it is right.

They probally will be regretting what they did for the rest of their lives.
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
Frankierock
Omega Red

I hope they find them guilty for something...they need to get put away for a long time.
Gay or not they have no right taping it and sending it over the net.
Sad news that the kid took his own life because those two had none.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
I hope they find them guilty for something...they need to get put away for a long time.
Gay or not they have no right taping it and sending it over the net.
Sad news that the kid took his own life because those two had none.
see i disagree with this, they should be punished, but honestly these are just kids who did something stupid, putting them away for a long time with rapists and murderes isn't going to help society.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
Zangief
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
see i disagree with this, they should be punished, but honestly these are just kids who did something stupid, putting them away for a long time with rapists and murderes isn't going to help society.
Agreed, should be punished, but should the punishment be worse because of how the other kid reacted? I don't think so.
Zangief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangief View Post
Agreed, should be punished, but should the punishment be worse because of how the other kid reacted? I don't think so.

I understand what you are both saying, But just because they did something stupid does not mean they should get a pass either. I really feel this was more then a prank, this to me was more on the lines of a hate crime IMO...Would these two have seen it funny if thier roomate was with a woman? I would have to say most likely no and it probably would have never even happened. So that's way I said it should be a long time in Jail...JMO
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
I understand what you are both saying, But just because they did something stupid does not mean they should get a pass either. I really feel this was more then a prank, this to me was more on the lines of a hate crime IMO...Would these two have seen it funny if thier roomate was with a woman? I would have to say most likely no and it probably would have never even happened. So that's way I said it should be a long time in Jail...JMO
well hate crime laws are among the dumbest to ever exist, if i beat you to death because you're gay and i beat the guy next to you to death for his wallet i don't think the crimes are any worse, both men are just as dead

but regardless, these kids did something stupid and the other kid as sad as it is did something even stupider, ruining 2 more lives isn't going to change any of that, and to flip it on you if the kid WASN'T gay and the same thing occured would you be as adament the 2 be severly punished?
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #17
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
well hate crime laws are among the dumbest to ever exist, if i beat you to death because you're gay and i beat the guy next to you to death for his wallet i don't think the crimes are any worse, both men are just as dead
True - both men ARE just as dead - but one reason is for money - and one is killing someone for who they are - or what they believe. Needing money - well, a lot of people have been there (but not stupid enough to kill for money) but hating someone so much for the color of their skin, sexual orientation or religious beliefs? Yeah, can't say I have ever felt that way - or could wrap my head around WHY someone else would...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #18
spenca7
Loki

They were in Jersey doing this and in Jersey invasion of privacy and taping and broadcasting any sex act secretly is a crime in itself. So far they will be charged with that (maximum 5 year sentence for each charge, girl gets 1 and guy i think got 3). The prosecution does not need to prove he killed himself as a result of this to get those charges to be found guilty.

If they want to charge with hate crime or anything related to his death, that is where it will be tricky to prove it was a result of this video (common sense says yes but sometimes common sense means nothing in court).
spenca7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansen View Post
Sounds like typical behaviour for college students to do such a thing, not saying it is right.

They probally will be regretting what they did for the rest of their lives.
I'm sure they will. The fact is they are all 18 years old. It is a difficult and confusing time in life, both for these boneheads and the poor kid. The guy and girl doing the taping probably thought it was funny, certainly weren't thinking of it as a crime, and were too stupid to realize the impact it could have on someone else. I have teenagers. I'm 99% certain neither of them would ever do anything like this because we've taught them better--not to be cruel, not to go along with the crowd, respect others, etc. But again, I'm sure the parents of the roommate and girl probably tried to raise their kids with morals and respects, so never assume anything (that's why I didn't say 100% certain), just continuously reinforce and use tragedies like this as opportunities to teach your children. The poor kid caught up in all of this may or may not have had the support of his parents, friends, teachers, administrators, etc. once it got out, who knows. Obviously he was in agony. I am certain there are people who would have quickly stepped in to support him, but again he was young and confused. His parents are probably devastated. I can't even imagine. That's why I always tell my kids that they can tell me anything. This is the type of thing you hate hearing about happening, because another turn here or there, a conversation with his parents, a support group, and he would still be alive and the bonehead roommate and the girl would be suspended or expelled, possibly prosecuted and fined or lightly punished, but then everyone could have gone on with their lives. Instead it is a terrible tragedy. One kid is dead and two others are probably scarred for life. Regardless of the kneejerk reaction anyone might have to the headlines, the best thing to do is look inside yourself, learn, and teach your children.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
dr_teng

Quote:

but regardless, these kids did something stupid and the other kid as sad as it is did something even stupider, ruining 2 more lives isn't going to change any of that, and to flip it on you if the kid WASN'T gay and the same thing occured would you be as adament the 2 be severly punished?
Many criminal laws, such as the ones regarding murder/death, are about the intent of the criminal involved. For example, accidentally running someone over vs planning to run someone over. Hate crime laws are an extension of that.

Although to answer your latter question (not that it was directed at me, just my general thoughts) I believe anyone secretly taping sex acts and broadcasting it should be punished a reasonable amount. The intent was obviously to humiliate the person and it has the potential to ruin your career/life plans regardless of whether you're gay, a woman, or a regular straight dude.

I'd guess the two idiots didn't think he'd kill himself so they shouldn't go to jail for the max amount, but it really depends on the situation, which we don't know much about. Did they harass the roommate for being gay? Did they dislike gay people in general? Why would they be so stupid to post a video like that publically where anyone could see it? It's tough to make a judgement without more information.