Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #21
bat_collector
Galactus

I feel so bad for this kid, so young, and feeling he had to end his life already.

I remember being stuck in my teens and early 20's and not knowing what to do about being gay. I wish I could have just told this kid life can get better. 18! That's way too young.

This makes me even sadder as there have been a few other reports of younger kids killing themselves due to bullies at school.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #22
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
Many criminal laws, such as the ones regarding murder/death, are about the intent of the criminal involved. For example, accidentally running someone over vs planning to run someone over. Hate crime laws are an extension of that.

Although to answer your latter question (not that it was directed at me, just my general thoughts) I believe anyone secretly taping sex acts and broadcasting it should be punished a reasonable amount. The intent was obviously to humiliate the person and it has the potential to ruin your career/life plans regardless of whether you're gay, a woman, or a regular straight dude.

I'd guess the two idiots didn't think he'd kill himself so they shouldn't go to jail for the max amount, but it really depends on the situation, which we don't know much about. Did they harass the roommate for being gay? Did they dislike gay people in general? Why would they be so stupid to post a video like that publically where anyone could see it? It's tough to make a judgement without more information.
i'm well aware of how intent factors into the law, my point is if you intend to kill somebody for a reason other then self defence or to save the life of another person then it is just as serious, i don't care if you really wanted that guys shoes, or if you just didn't like the way he looks, it's just as bad
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #23
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i'm well aware of how intent factors into the law, my point is if you intend to kill somebody for a reason other then self defence or to save the life of another person then it is just as serious, i don't care if you really wanted that guys shoes, or if you just didn't like the way he looks, it's just as bad
Ah, I gotcha, I just disagree. I think intent is very important in sentencing, even if the end result is the same (the death of a person involved).
Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #24
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

i get the yac's point but i must say i agree with teng on this.

there are suicide laws that can put these 2 away for a long time but since his note just said i am going to jump off a bridge i don't see how they could convict on that.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #25
MrYac
Hercules

now i don't know these kids, for all i know they could both be vile scumbag degenerats who will only do society harm by being on the streets, however i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just say this was a stupid prank that went somewhere they never in a million years would've thought of, so i have to ask you guys do you honestly think they should be charged as killers?

i mean this kid was obviously unbalanced, if they did something else that had nothing to do with his sexual activities that caused the same end result would there be such a call for their heads?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #26
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Regardless of the intentions behind the prank, this is an unfortunate incident. No matter how these kids are sentenced, they have to live every day knowing their actions drove this kid to take his own life.
DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #27
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
Ah, I gotcha, I just disagree. I think intent is very important in sentencing, even if the end result is the same (the death of a person involved).
I agree Teng - intent is a VERY important factor...
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #28
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
i get the yac's point but i must say i agree with teng on this.
It's ok, I won't tell anyone!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #29
MrYac
Hercules

eh, i'm of the mind that if we keep singleing groups out as "different" be it in a negative or a positive way then they will always be different, to me it's all just as bad, if i give you the job because you're black, or if i don't give you the job because you're black should be just as offensive. groups of people should not be on protected lists like they are endangered species in a nature preserve
Old 10-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #30
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Agreed, Omar; it always amazes me the depths some people go to in their sense of what was either an act of maliciousness or some "harmless prank" ("harmless", to them, as they weren't the people being filmed); regardless if the suicide was affiliated with the video (which it probably was, but who are we to say?).. you're f#cked in the head to exploit someone's sexuality like this. He's a kid; that taping and the release of said tape had to be a crushing blow to his sense of identity, since he was probably still learning to be comfortable with who he was, only to have this happen...

Rest in peace, Tyler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
What kind of lowlife scum secretly records someone like that and posts it on the internet??? Regardless of him committing suicide, the perpetrator deserves time behind bars for this insane level of cruelty. Whether it can be proven in a court of law is another matter.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote