Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 05-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
grphyx1
Kingpin

You have to excuse boibleu, he gets cranky when his Depends undergarment needs to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcougar92 View Post
Is the fear that people who post here are too stupid to realize that something posted ISN'T from DC Direct? Or are some member so sensitive they can't lay eyes on non-DC Direct stuff?
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
Plume
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
cheap crappy vinyls that are geared towards kids?
I started collecting figures/statues many years ago, with anime PVCs. Then I also developed an interest for Western ones simply because I could find more characters I liked. But seeing people being snobbish against PVC/vinyl still makes me roll my eyes so far back into my head that I should probably be auditioning for exorcism movies. I "love" it when these materials get associated with "toys" and are unfairly called "crappy" or "cheap" when the irony is that yes, plastic is objectively cheaper than cold casts or porcelain. But you know what else it is? Far easier to mass-produce without major quality issues. You have cold and frail materials that are hard to produce, hard to keep safe, hard to correct when they're riddled with QC issues such as pegs not fitting... and all at a higher price.

The first thing I noticed when I got non-PVC figures is the general crack in quality between pieces of the same size and the same (or even higher) price as PVC. For 150$ you will get an American "statue" with visible problems in casting, sticking the pieces together and the paint application. Not to mention that these things rarely have shading and when they do, it's sub-par compared to "cheap" PVC. The inelastic material also doesn't help when the damn statues don't fit into their damn pegs and you end up with a collectible that won't stand up for the life of it. But hey, it's a "good" collectible, not one of those "cheap" kiddie toys they make in plastic...

For 50$ you can get a decent PVC anime figure that has so much shading and so many different color variations that they look like real people with real skin and real hair. Not the waxy, funeral-house look of the things done by Western companies. Not the smudgy paint-quality that makes eyes look like they've been painted with sticks and not paintbrushes or decals. And not the limited dynamics that come with a material that is frail and inelastic.

My standards regarding paint quality have lowered SIGNIFICANTLY ever since I started adding non-PVC to my collection.

Unless, of course, I start buying 500$ statues just to fill in the quality gap between what I was used to and what is on offer.

I am not saying that people are not allowed to prefer their cold casts and porcelain and whatever. I'm just saying that the snobbery is ridiculous, especially when it reminds me of one of those small kids with his fingers shoved into his ears, singing la-la-la-la-laaaaa. When DC Direct manage to make something of the same quality, detailing, coloring, casting and amazing overall look as Max Factory, Good Smile Company or even Kotobukiya, FOR THE SAME PRICE as same-sized items from DC Direct / Collectibles... THEN I will stop rolling my eyes at the anti-PVC snobbery. But at the moment I find it absurd.

Rant over. I'm sorry, I initially didn't want to comment about that OP message (especially since I've been around here for little enough as to not be sure if OP is actually just trolling/joking - in which case I sincerely apologize for my melodramatic overreaction!) but then I saw it quoted again and had "something to say" yet again...
Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #13
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

^ Agreed with both of the above posts.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by d rod View Post
Keep this section for high end collectibles.
This exactly, direct from the horse's mouth! Funko Pop, Vinyl Vixens, Rock Candy... these don't qualify as high end IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcougar92 View Post
Is the fear that people who post here are too stupid to realize that something posted ISN'T from DC Direct? Or are some member so sensitive they can't lay eyes on non-DC Direct stuff?
It's not really about that. This subforum used to be titled DC Direct, so it simply bothered me to see someone posting Funko items. It's like someone posting XM Studios statues in the Sideshow Collectibles subforum. That simply isn't where it belongs. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
You have to excuse boibleu, he gets cranky when his Depends undergarment needs to be changed.
HEY, I have a timer to check it every hour. And I generally do my BMs in the PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plume View Post
But seeing people being snobbish against PVC/vinyl still makes me roll my eyes so far back into my head that I should probably be auditioning for exorcism movies. I "love" it when these materials get associated with "toys" and are unfairly called "crappy" or "cheap" when the irony is that yes, plastic is objectively cheaper than cold casts or porcelain.

For 50$ you can get a decent PVC anime figure that has so much shading and so many different color variations that they look like real people with real skin and real hair. Not the waxy, funeral-house look of the things done by Western companies. Not the smudgy paint-quality that makes eyes look like they've been painted with sticks and not paintbrushes or decals. And not the limited dynamics that come with a material that is frail and inelastic.
I don't have anything against PVC/Vinyl in general. I've got the Good Smile TMNT set and it's freaking amazing. What annoys me is what I stated above regarding items like Funko Pop, Vinyl Vixens, & Rock Candy (along with Icon Heroes) threads being posted in what used to be specifically a DC Direct/Collectibles subforum.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #15
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
thanks man!

Good to see i'm not the only one annoyed by those threads.
No you're not. Maybe it should just be renamed after a certain person
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote