Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #5441
It's Sisko
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Enjoyed the video comparison...thank you!

For the next one, you might try controlling the shaky cam. I got a little queezy there.
Thanks, I noticed that too so I'm trying to do something about it. I've dug out my tripod, so I've started using that for wide shots and a 360 at the start to keep things steady. Then when I go in for details I'm trying to do slower panning shots to reduce the shakiness. Hopefully that will improve things. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Great video comparison! I agree the new one has more overall but off course the price is more. I really wanted to love the first Sonja. So I kept her but after looking at her paint job. It bugged me so much I couldn't take it anymore. The paint on the first is terrible. Her skin tone looks more like a mannequin from a shopping mall. SS should have recalled all of them to have them repainted.
You should see the repainted 1st Sonja Vincent did. now that is a special sight to see. Simply amazing! Also the white bear version cape he did was superb. It brings the statues up to the next level. Check it out if you didn't already!
Yes, he does beautiful repaints. I saw him post this photo on facebook about two weeks ago. On the post he wrote "11 of the 37 Red Sonjas I painted last year". I guess Red Sonja has been good for his business!

It's Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #5442
dao2
Cyclops

why did we let it slide? I dunno ;p Same reason I suppose everyone let the problems with the new one slide too. It's better sure, but head and shoulders below the proto level.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #5443
It's Sisko
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
why did we let it slide? I dunno ;p Same reason I suppose everyone let the problems with the new one slide too. It's better sure, but head and shoulders below the proto level.
This is all my opinion of course. In my view, there are companies that charge a premium for the final product to look exactly like the prototype. While Sideshow charge a more moderate amount and achieve around 80-90% of the prototype. This is generally a range that people are happy with for the price. Although rising prices and increased competition has changed this opinion somewhat. Prime 1 are putting out super high level production pieces, but their 1/4 scales are $700-$1000. It seems unreasonable to expect Sideshow to put out Prime 1 level production pieces for 100's of dollars less. I've heard very little complaints about the new Red Sonja from people that have her. There are definitely some things on the base that I would have liked to have been painted differently, but overall I'm very happy.

The old one however, was a huge deviation from the prototype and there was a lot of outcry and discontent at the time. However, nothing ultimately came of it. There should have been a mass recall and repaint for the heads and body IMO. The measly $20 credits that they offered to placate people were absolutely not acceptable. There are some other issues that are never acceptable in my view, at ANY price point. Those are leaning issues and magnet issues. Since posting my videos several people have contacted me with stories of the hands on their new Red Sonja's falling off and breaking or snapping the teeth on the snake. That is 100% unacceptable IMO, and is the biggest problem with this statue.

All that said, I have had some big problems with my Sideshow pieces over the last couple of years the majority of which were not resolved. I addition, I am one of those people who are willing to pay more to get a production piece that is 100% of the prototype. So now I only have 1 Sideshow piece left on order. However, I'm still very happy to own this Red Sonja and if Sideshow put up something that I really like I would order it. I do love Thanos and missed the Ex while I was sick, so that's one I would have ordered.
It's Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #5444
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Sisko View Post
Thanks, I noticed that too so I'm trying to do something about it. I've dug out my tripod, so I've started using that for wide shots and a 360 at the start to keep things steady. Then when I go in for details I'm trying to do slower panning shots to reduce the shakiness. Hopefully that will improve things. Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, he does beautiful repaints. I saw him post this photo on facebook about two weeks ago. On the post he wrote "11 of the 37 Red Sonjas I painted last year". I guess Red Sonja has been good for his business!

holy moly look at all those sonja's! That really says something about how bad the first one was. Should've been recalled.
The new one I seen and it looked great! Off course the price is a lot more than the first so I figured ss used the good factories for it. The axe in person is still a must have. It's massive in size!
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #5445
Vendetta
The X-Men

I own an Ex and don't think the Ex is a must-have... I think it might even look better with the sword. Either way it's a stunning piece; while not perfect it's easily my favorite Sideshow statue and probably a top three collectible in my diverse collection.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #5446
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Good for him! Glad to see someone of his talents being appreciated.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #5447
Comicbookguy
Hercules

This Sonja needs the white cape Vincent did. It looks so nice! She does wear these capes in many of her comics. I mean how would a woman wearing a bikini survive in the snow otherwise?
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #5448
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Here's my video comparing the two Sideshow Red Sonja Premium Format Exclusives. Which one will be victorious?! This was really fun to do, and hopefully I can do a few more of these comparison videos in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXaCHVo63A
The new one is cleary the winner IMO!
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #5449
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
This is all my opinion of course. In my view, there are companies that charge a premium for the final product to look exactly like the prototype. While Sideshow charge a more moderate amount and achieve around 80-90% of the prototype. This is generally a range that people are happy with for the price. Although rising prices and increased competition has changed this opinion somewhat. Prime 1 are putting out super high level production pieces, but their 1/4 scales are $700-$1000. It seems unreasonable to expect Sideshow to put out Prime 1 level production pieces for 100's of dollars less. I've heard very little complaints about the new Red Sonja from people that have her. There are definitely some things on the base that I would have liked to have been painted differently, but overall I'm very happy.
I don't really think the P1 comparison is 100% fair as their bases are huge, even bigger then this by a fair bit. If a SS statue was around the same size I think it would also be about the same price and lesser quality. Also this statue was $550 when it first went up which is pretty much $700 nowadays in terms of statue for money.

I have this, I like this (getting it repainted though). My real problem though is that I ordered this, and you probably did too, knowing full well that I wasn't going to receive what they showed. I don't have that problem with P1. I ordered the Witcher series statues and I expect to receive them like that, especially since those were production pieces. It's sad that I know SS is so full of ---- that I won't get what they show. That is my huge issue with them. They've done a lot better so far this year, I hope they keep it up.

But they are no stranger to making show pieces that they have no hope to recreate in the past. And show pieces are fine, a lot of companies make those too. But they don't put them up for PO, advertise with them, switch the pictures when they ship, and not let you return for a full refund when it shows up looking absolutely nothing like what you ordered citing "they're hand painted so there is going to be some differences."

Also in terms of deviation I think the new one deviates more from the proto than the old one. Though the new proto looked A LOT nicer then the old proto did so it's more acceptable. The paint is alright, but it's certainly not up to proto level especially on the armor. And ALL of the skin texturing detail is gone and all of the folds, muscles, etc have also lost a lot of their detail. In terms of changes I think it's more drastic. Again I still like the new one a lot better, but the difference between proto and production is imo much greater this time around. In large part to the amazing proto they made which they clearly had no intention of actually producing.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:20 PM   #5450
doeboy
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

What's Vincent's facebook page?
doeboy is offline   Reply With Quote