that's very cool of you to do
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
You know, back in the 70's when I 1st started reading comics as a kid, I remember my Dad saying to my Mom, & later to me ... "I don't care what he's reading, or if he's reading comics, I just want him reading."

Comics became my gateway to reading. If you're ever questioned by a well-meaning parent or chaperone at the library, you may want to impart that thought. Comic reading gets the gears turning.
Agree, though I started in the '60s. Reading the battle between Thor and Hercules, in that multi-issue momentous run where Stan and Jack sent Thor down to Hades to battle for Hercules' soul, was simply impossible as a kid without a dictionary by my side. I'd flip back and forth between the pages of those issues and my dictionary to help figure out what was going on and what these characters were saying (Hercules stating that armed gunmen had "interrupted my reverie"? Thor referring to "halcyon days of yore"? What did these mean? What were they saying?). I attribute comic books to my becoming an avid reader of all things I can and to becoming an English Lit major in college. Comic books fore'er!!!

And Ryan, good going my man!!!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:04 AM   #13
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
You know, back in the 70's when I 1st started reading comics as a kid, I remember my Dad saying to my Mom, & later to me ... "I don't care what he's reading, or if he's reading comics, I just want him reading."

Comics became my gateway to reading. If you're ever questioned by a well-meaning parent or chaperone at the library, you may want to impart that thought. Comic reading gets the gears turning.
I have always told the parents about reading comics being a start to appreciating other forms of writing. Most parents coming to Talking Comics not only know this but appreciate that fact and encourage whatever kind of reading their kids would like to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léon View Post
that's very cool of you to do
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Agree, though I started in the '60s. Reading the battle between Thor and Hercules, in that multi-issue momentous run where Stan and Jack sent Thor down to Hades to battle for Hercules' soul, was simply impossible as a kid without a dictionary by my side. I'd flip back and forth between the pages of those issues and my dictionary to help figure out what was going on and what these characters were saying (Hercules stating that armed gunmen had "interrupted my reverie"? Thor referring to "halcyon days of yore"? What did these mean? What were they saying?). I attribute comic books to my becoming an avid reader of all things I can and to becoming an English Lit major in college. Comic books fore'er!!!

And Ryan, good going my man!!!
I'm hoping it really catches on and continues to gain steam. Getting a great surge of new readers in my area would be just awesome.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I hope this keeps gaining steam because it's a great idea.

I wonder if parents can't find a LCBS (or have a hard time with the prices), if the LCBS would let you fill a long box with the comics they always have for a buck or two. You could probably pull together full story arcs of great old school Batman, X-Men and Spider-Man etc stories with ease!

The shop could write off the donation and the kids could sit at the library and read for hours.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
SONICobra
Batman

very cool bro, great idea!
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote