Old 07-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #141
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiez View Post
A realistic space marine would be no space marines at all because you can't keep the design aesthetic of Warhammer 40K and make things realistic. If you change the look of the space marines they won't be instantly identifiable as Space Marines.

The armours are just too big and ridiculous in fact the hole setting of Warhammer is so grimdark that it's ridiculous.
There's a difference between the artwork and the miniatures however. The miniatures are very much made it varying proportions and scales to accommodate the game. In terms of what they "actually" look like people reference the art work, which is on everything from rule book and codexs to books and comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaGrin View Post
I think their illustrations from the Codex (rule books) have a slightly more realistic take than the game's art.

Part of the reasoning to the game's art is proportions and ability to be recognized.

One of the (many) rules for game art is stuff like silhouette. Due to size and distance there is a decent chance that they "softened" up and enlarged from of their design aspects to be noticed froma top down / isometric RTS view.

While not a "main" guy, this marine's armor seems more "realistic" than this Gab piece.

Bring on a WarBoss or some Tyranids
Gorgutz looks equally stupid in DOW3 :|

If it's all DOW3 I look forward to nothing from this line :| I hope H.M.O can pick up the slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morton View Post
Is the new Gabriel statue 1/4 or 1/3? Thank you.
It looks 1/3, though probably not true 1/3 though. Especially with Gabriel which turned to stupid size in DOW3 (3.5 meters when the average SM is 2 meters and change).
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #142
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
A realistic space marine would be no space marines at all because you can't keep the design aesthetic of Warhammer 40K and make things realistic. If you change the look of the space marines they won't be instantly identifiable as Space Marines.

The armours are just too big and ridiculous in fact the hole setting of Warhammer is so grimdark that it's ridiculous.
A simple Google search debunks that theory....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ddfc034b3a426e00d29f7be9f8735b95.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	106592   Click image for larger version

Name:	2d199db9bde4aca97233e5d9a8fce41f--ultramarines-deathwatch.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	106593  
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #143
Bob Morton
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:

I agree. Looking at all the other pictures that were posted to debunk your statement makes me notice that realistic looking space marines do not have the bulky feel that I love about space marines. Realistic if looking space marines look like anorexic HIV ravaged space marines. Bulky unrealistic space marines are the way to go. I actually like this Gabriel statue. I have never played DOW 3.
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #144
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

I dont mind it either, just not a fan of unhelmed marines.
Plus I would want to waste my money on more of a firearm version. Or Chainsword with a shield.

I was a sucker for Orcs in WoW cause they rocked the biggest shoulders.

plus check out 40k cosplay, people made some neat armor
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:43 PM   #145
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
I agree. Looking at all the other pictures that were posted to debunk your statement makes me notice that realistic looking space marines do not have the bulky feel that I love about space marines. Realistic if looking space marines look like anorexic HIV ravaged space marines. Bulky unrealistic space marines are the way to go. I actually like this Gabriel statue. I have never played DOW 3.
That's cool, everyone likes something different. I don't, personally, want this line to fail, as I'm hoping that they might produce something I do want, like the Soroitas or an Elder Banshee or Farseer....or heaven help me, an Assassin....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #146
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
I think you need to look again :P His chest is huge but his limbs are actually crazy thin for how long they are, and they are super far away from his body. His is some mutant freak of nature to fit like that :|

As I posted a couple pages back, this is what tartaros armor is actually supposed to look like

Old 07-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #147
Bob Morton
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
I think you need to look again :P His chest is huge but his limbs are actually crazy thin for how long they are, and they are super far away from his body. His is some mutant freak of nature to fit like that :|

As I posted a couple pages back, this is what tartaros armor is actually supposed to look like

I am sorry but I really like it to be honest. It is probably not realistic but you need to suspend your disbelief and put aside proper anatomy to enjoy this piece, just like the miniatures really. In fact I think they managed to bring the miniatures to the 1/4 scale. Just my opinion. I understand people don't like the comic look but I think it works perfect for 40k. Now hoping they do all the Primarchs and emperor.
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #148
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
I am sorry but I really like it to be honest. It is probably not realistic but you need to suspend your disbelief and put aside proper anatomy to enjoy this piece, just like the miniatures really. In fact I think they managed to bring the miniatures to the 1/4 scale. Just my opinion. I understand people don't like the comic look but I think it works perfect for 40k. Now hoping they do all the Primarchs and emperor.
DOW3 has it's own cartoony art style, especially for it's hero characters. There is not a single miniature that looks like that.

This is what tartaros armor in the miniature style looks like.

Wanna know what his miniature looks like? Here:

This looks nothing like that. So it's not faithful to the miniature. Though the miniature also has issues, namely the giant as head which is usually the opposite problem (large armor, tiny head) for marines. But the armor in this model is not faithful to the artwork, the lore, the miniatures or anything but DOW3.

NOTHING on the table top or artwork looks like Gabriel in DOW3 does. They wanted a DOW3 piece and they certainly achieved that. He looks exactly like a DOW3 rendition of Gabriel. However being that DOW3 is hated by gamers (it has less than 600 average concurrent users already, just a couple months and the other 2 games years old have more than that).

The chapter is pretty much ---- on by lore enthusiasts and I don't know anybody who plays the TT who really likes him. Wanna know what people think of his mini? Here you go! https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40...fficial_model/ Like I said it's a perfect rendition of Gabriel from DOW3. However nobody but critics really liked it (as a sorta "it's not that bad!"(. Nobody is really carying about anatomy except you. I said that because you brought up anorexic hiv marines. I think terminator armor looks cool as hell but there's no way there's a marine in there. There's a difference between goofy and unrealistic :|

It's fine if you like it. However you keep asserting that it's somehow faithful to the game when it in no way is. It's not like the artwork, it's not like the miniatures. It's like DOW3, which has nothing that looks like it and was a commercial flop (cause it's a ---- game). So if you want it to be honest, you should probably look at something from the actual tabletop instead of making stuff up to fit :P

If they did the primachs it would be either from the art or the forgeworld minis, neither of which look as dumb as gabriel.

You can say you like him all you want, and that's fine. But from your comments it doesn't seem like you are familiar with the tabletop game, lore, and by your own admission never played DOW3. So if you want this appeal to not-fans of the license sure, have at it.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #149
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

It looks pretty faithful to me.... but there will always be people with picky eyes just like when the guts statue came out people said he was out of proportion which was a ridiculous claim. A similar thing seems to be happening with this statue
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:56 PM   #150
dao2
Cyclops

His arm and leg armor are both shorter and much thicker on the miniature... And his chest plate is vastly different in shape and size :|

edit: I'll stop now, I've -----ed more than enough :P Sorry if I went a little (or a lot) too hard. I'm just very disappointed and afraid it'll get cancelled if this doesn't sell well. I've been wanting a large scale marine for over a decade and as much as I feel like I should give up and get this I know I'd just look at it and be bitter. Even before I got into this hobby and knew it existed I wanted forgeworld to make another better one then their old one (and also cheaper then their aftermarket prices for it, little did I know how much this ---- costs though). So this hit me in the feels pretty hard, especially after the awesome sister they showed earlier.