Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > CoolProps / Imaginarium

Old 08-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #531
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
I just saw that Danny Glover will be at Chiller Theater in Parsippany, NJ in October.

I think i'm gonna have R. David Smith sign the left side of the bust and Danny Glover sign the right side of the bust...where it's painted flat black. These were the two actors that faced off in the final battle in the Predator ship. I think these signatures would be good to get on this awesome bust. When Danny Glover was there like 7-8 years ago he looked REALLY old dude is now like 77, this may be my last chance.

thoughts?
Glover makes it even better. Tracing both different dates to the cons legitimizes the sigs even more. I would definitely do it.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #532
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Glover makes it even better. Tracing both different dates to the cons legitimizes the sigs even more. I would definitely do it.
so last weekend i met R. David Smith and had him sign the Predator 2 bust. I also Carl Troop who was the main Alien Warrior suit actor in ALL the BIG scenes in Aliens. carl Troop was AWESOME to talk to. CLASS-A dude, same with R David Smith. It was a cute little con.

This is R. David Smith:

dude said he was 6-3 without costume. This shows how gigantic KPH was without costume.

this is Carl Troop

SO my brother and i went up to David Smith (Predator 2 Stunt Actor) and we were talking about the movie he's a great guy. He was taking about how he is so surprised on how BIG the Predator fanbase is. I told him, aside from Marvel, DC, Star Wars, in terms of the other licenses, Predator is truly one of the biggest American Licenses. I told him about the new Prime 1 City Hunter that depicts him as a one armed predator, he thought i was talking about the NECA battle damaged figure then when i showed him the picture he was like WOOOOOOOOW, people lay that much for this stuff. Im like 100% absolutely.

He then began talking to me about the stunt, on the side of the building that he brought in for, where Harrigan Danny Glove chops off his arms after the self destruct device was activated. He said he was ---- scared of heights...was supposed to be a 3 story drop when he got there it was 12 stories He said the first drop scared the ---- out of him and after the first drop...after he got a hang of it he wanted to do as many as possible as he was paid for about $10k for each drop. Really interesting. He said he really fiucked up his back from those drops. Also said working with Stan Winston was AMAZING. was so grateful that he took him under his wing. He talked about how cold water was pumped into the suit and it cycled the cold water through the suit as a means of air conditioning (i don't know exactly how this worked). He said it was so damn hot in there. He said Kevin Peter Hall was just under 8 feet tall in the Predator 2 costume. He said he was just a GIANT of a human being and in the suit he was a legitimate monster. He was so grateful to be a part off the film and all the scenes in the bathroom are him, which is one of my VERY FAVORITE Predator sequences in the series.

Then i told him im gonna be back i have something for him to sign. I walked in with my CoolProps P2 bust facing outwards and everyone in the con was looking at me like I was Pam Anderson from the 90s on the beach in her Baywatch costume, everyone was floored how unbelievable it was. and IT IS, it's a unbelievable piece. That's what funny, us collectors think this stuff is normal - everyday stuff but to other geeks that haven't been bit by the high end poluystone bug look at this stuff like its the Lost ARk from indian Jones. It was really something to see everyones reactions. There all asked HOW MUCH WAS THAT...its UNBELIEVABLE. This high end stuff we collect really is special. Most people can't believe this stuff even exists and we own most of it.

So i walk up to david smith and say similar to what i said to Peter Weller with the RoboCop bust...."mr, Smith, do you remember this guy?" He looked at it and his face was priceless. part shocked, part in love, part dumbfounded, pure happiness with a straight face if that is even possible. He was speechless with a lot of emotion like he was being reunited with an old classmate, or old love. He was just looking at it saying I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS....I REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. WHERE DID YOU GET THIS FROM....DID YOU MAKE THIS? I HAVENT' SEEN THIS UP CLOSE IN 30 YEARS. IT'S AMAZING. I SPENT SO MUCH TIME IN THIS SUIT. I THOUGHT I'D NEVER SEE IT AGAIN AND HERE IT IS. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE.

Then he said "I COULD CRY, this is just AMAZING, this is like a reunion."

What is interesting is that these actors when they are onset, the live and breathe this stuff but when the takes are over...they rarely ever see the stuff again. Similar to a contractor working in a house or on a piece of property then never going to the job site again. I was to thankful to share a very special moment with a person that played my favorite monster of all time. It was truly a full-circle moment for me and my brother. We used to watch the VHS of Predator 2 when we were younger when it first came out. My mother was so upset she at the Jamaican Blood Voodo ritual to the Columbia drug lord scene she hid the BLOCKBUSTER tape and lost the thing ended up costing her like $120 to replace the tape. To give back and share a moment like that with someone that captivated me on screen playing a creature that is SOOOO NEAR AND DEAR TO MY HEART was a very special moment. Something i will cherish forever.

I hope you guys enjoyed the story.

i really wish i owned the Sideshow 1:4 Alien Warrior maquette, would've been awesome for Carl Troop to sign that....and the dude that played the Lycans from Underworld was there. I asked him if he ever saw the ECC Steve Wang Lycan bust. He had no idea what i was talking about. This stuff we collect and have on our shelves is NO-NONSENSE-SERIOUS ---- that the actors of the movies haven't even seen.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:43 PM   #533
azurepred
Zot

Very cool story , thanks for sharing. I’m surprised guys like him don’t go to Monsterpalooza. They would be absolutely floored because stuff like our monster busts and statues are everywhere.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:02 AM   #534
Max Shreck
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story with us dude. We feel you. I have the P2 bust myself (i also repainted) and it’s one of my most prized possessions. I passionately love the city hunter creature and I’ve been dreaming about to have something like this when I was a small child. It’s lovely to see your passion for the character and for collectibles, and reading your post definitely made my day better. Take care! ��
Max Shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 02:23 PM   #535
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
Very cool story , thanks for sharing. I?m surprised guys like him don?t go to Monsterpalooza. They would be absolutely floored because stuff like our monster busts and statues are everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Shreck View Post
Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful story with us dude. We feel you. I have the P2 bust myself (i also repainted) and it?s one of my most prized possessions. I passionately love the city hunter creature and I?ve been dreaming about to have something like this when I was a small child. It?s lovely to see your passion for the character and for collectibles, and reading your post definitely made my day better. Take care! ��

Glad you guys enjoyed the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I did it, met Danny Glover, got him to sign the other side of the bust!

Similar Story, walked the bust up to Danny. Had to stand in line holding the thing, im in shape and work out regularly but after about 20 minutes i started to get very fatigued holding this bust in the same position.

Danny's eyes lit up when i approached his table. I said something similar, like Mr. Glover to you recognize this guy? with a dumbfounded look he looks at the bust looks at me and said, "HOW DID YOU GET THIS? WHERE DID YOU GET THIS?" I told him from Sideshow Collectibles, CoolProps, its from the molds. He was repeating, "it's unbelievable, its perfect, it's just like it." he looked at it for a good 15-20 second in awe, amazement like getting reunited with a long lost friend or when we go back to see our old childhood home or something like that. he grabbed the pen and said, "what do you want me to sign." i just said, please sign Danny Glover and date it please. Then he pauses for like 10 seconds...starts writing on the bust, what seemed to be an essay.... I look at what he signed/wrote...he wrote:

"I'm Shocked

Thank You

Danny Glover

10/27/2023
"

what he signed will always and forever being me exactly back to the moment we shared at Chiller. he was geninurly impressed that i unexpectedly brought him face to face with his nemesis in predator 2, and he was shocked with the quality of this museum quality piece we own. thanked him for everything he did, and told him how much i love Predator 2 and how strong he was as Harrigan. He smiled a warm smile as i just picked the bust up and walked away, he again thanked me and said thank you.

It was a really nice interaction with Danny, he really appreciated it. He is worth like 40-45 Million, he goes to these things to interact with the fans, and im sure he will remember coming face to face with the CoolProps P2 bust for quite some time. I went home on cloud 9 watched Predator 2 again, i swear that movie is so badass. It's cold, hard and hardcore with exceptional performances by all the cast members, in an impossible followup to Predator. It's one of my very favorite sequels of all time. I was so grateful to share that priceless experience with Lt. Mike Harrigan...AKA Danny Glover.

here's pics of your old pal SHOGUN with Danny Glover and R David Smith at the cons with the CoolProps bust:

It's a real pain int the ass to get these BIG things to a con, but if possibly i highly suggest doing it.creates a memorable moment, you feel more connected to the film and you appreciate the collectible that much more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 1.11.21 PM.png
Views:	99
Size:	669.0 KB
ID:	165747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 1.03.05 PM.png
Views:	94
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	165748  
Old 11-07-2023, 02:53 PM   #536
Blade3327
Nightwing

Great story as always, Shogun! Predator 2 is a blast. Campier than the first, but still very respectful of the lore and a masterclass in designing a sequel monster. It was also the first Danny Glover movie I ever saw (the second was "Gone Fishin," what a range! ), so he'll always be a bona fide action hero in my book.

Your bit about us collectors being used to this stuff is grounding. It's easy to get caught up in the abundance of options, sculpt nitpicks and so forth, but everyone here is breathing rare air. The fact that we now have museum-quality pieces representing these characters -- some people even run public showrooms filled with this stuff -- is pretty amazing. A bit insane really, we have much to be grateful for.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:26 PM   #537
strife87
Spider-Ham

That's really cool Shogun.
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 04:19 PM   #538
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Great story as always, Shogun! Predator 2 is a blast. Campier than the first, but still very respectful of the lore and a masterclass in designing a sequel monster. It was also the first Danny Glover movie I ever saw (the second was "Gone Fishin," what a range! ), so he'll always be a bona fide action hero in my book.

Your bit about us collectors being used to this stuff is grounding. It's easy to get caught up in the abundance of options, sculpt nitpicks and so forth, but everyone here is breathing rare air. The fact that we now have museum-quality pieces representing these characters -- some people even run public showrooms filled with this stuff -- is pretty amazing. A bit insane really, we have much to be grateful for.
as a kid i remember watching it laughing at how he literally doesn't hold a candle to Arnold, and it's basically a joke of a follow up having him basically in arnold role. he's obviously not Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer, but the more i watch this film, the more i realize how amazing of a job he did. he is such an alpha badass in this movie... from the first time you see him in the city shootout, until the ending credits roll.

This part of the movie gives me chills every single time he says YOU WANT ME? HERE I AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znIN1oSvd-I

KPH's acting conveys that the Predator is excited and in game on mode with Harrigan enters the slaughter house. soooooooo underrated this movie is.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:20 PM   #539
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife87 View Post
That's really cool Shogun.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Im sure Danny Glover also felt he had unrealistic shoes to fill being the leading man in P2. When i told him how strong he was in the role, he smiled at me with a face of pride and gratitude, that I acknowledge his alpha onscreen presence.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:27 PM   #540
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
I look at what he signed/wrote...he wrote:

"I'm Shocked

Thank You

Danny Glover

10/27/2023
"
That's really cool! Can we see the back of the bust where he signed? Glad you had a great interaction after lugging that bust around.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote