Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #471
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Well, not me necessarily. See my post just above.
I saw that. I wouldn't classify you as "General Audience".
Old 05-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #472
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
It depends on the character and the film. For the first two of Nolan's Batman films I thought they both were tremendous fun, even though they were intense action films with little in the way of laughs.

I don't think this film needed laughs, per se, but just needed a coherent story that wasn't weighed down by Superman's counter-character moroseness adding gravitas to Batman's expected darkness. And, of course, the stupidity of Eissenberg's Luthor.

It didn't have to be played for laughs to be fun, but should have been a film about the true characters rather than Snyder's misinterpretation of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Yep, that's what the general audience wants.
I absolutely agree with the comparison to the Nolan Dark Knight films. All THREE are held in high regard and loved by the general audience, despite being very serious films with a specific tone. I do find it interesting that fan sites malign TDKR and comic fans call it a letdown, whereas critics and the general audience loved it. I don't have many "geek" friends but I never heard any poor feedback on TDKR offline, which was the opposite for BvS.

Like WKTF said, it came down to a poorly constructed film that presented its characters in a way the audience rejected them. Superman, even with the lens of his history removed, gives the audience zero reason to be interested or sympathetic to him as a character in that film.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #473
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
It depends on the character and the film. For the first two of Nolan's Batman films I thought they both were tremendous fun, even though they were intense action films with little in the way of laughs.

I don't think this film needed laughs, per se, but just needed a coherent story that wasn't weighed down by Superman's counter-character moroseness adding gravitas to Batman's expected darkness. And, of course, the stupidity of Eissenberg's Luthor.

It didn't have to be played for laughs to be fun, but should have been a film about the true characters rather than Snyder's misinterpretation of them.
what he said.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #474
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nor I you, good sir.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #475
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Quote:
Nor I you, good sir.
O.K. that's too much @ss kissing, can we go back to the topic and continue BVS?
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #476
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:

That's the challenge with this film, how do you attempt to balance all of the points you mentioned with the marketing to kids, since WB Inc. has to sell toys to boys at Walmart.

Although I didn't care for the portrayal of Luthor, I think Snyder was thinking it was needed to offset the darkness of Bat and Supes.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #477
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
That's the challenge with this film, how do you attempt to balance all of the points you mentioned with the marketing to kids, since WB Inc. has to sell toys to boys at Walmart.

Although I didn't care for the portrayal of Luthor, I think Snyder was thinking it was needed to offset the darkness of Bat and Supes.
I say let the characters be the characters. They've juxtaposed against each other in the comics for decades with success. Marvel has shown how staying true to the comic book characters can create success in films. Warner should take its cue from their success.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #478
Whirl Wind Boy
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
I say let the characters be the characters. They've juxtaposed against each other in the comics for decades with success. Marvel has shown how staying true to the comic book characters can create success in films. Warner should take its cue from their success.
Marvels avengers, ironman, thor comics were never a success. the characters marvel is making movies off never sold high numbers of comics. There's a reason fox and sony never wanted to buy the rights to them early on like x-men and spiderman. Marvels film success has nothing to do with the comics. It's about knowing a market, and making good movies for said market. 95% of them people never read any of the ironman books.
Whirl Wind Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #479
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirl Wind Boy View Post
Marvels avengers, ironman, thor comics were never a success. the characters marvel is making movies off never sold high numbers of comics. There's a reason fox and sony never wanted to buy the rights to them early on like x-men and spiderman. Marvels film success has nothing to do with the comics. It's about knowing a market, and making good movies for said market. 95% of them people never read any of the ironman books.
While your last statement may be true, Marvels comics outsold DC's for decades. Including Iron Man, Avengers and Thor, all of which have seen pretty much continuous print. They were the clear market leader since the late 60s. The film successes had everything to do with the comics in terms of the character portrayals, story dynamics and plot-lines. Even if the majority of movie goers never read the comics, the stories and characters from these comics resonated with them.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #480
Whirl Wind Boy
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
While your last statement may be true, Marvels comics outsold DC's for decades. Including Iron Man, Avengers and Thor, all of which have seen pretty much continuous print. They were the clear market leader since the late 60s. The film successes had everything to do with the comics in terms of the character portrayals, story dynamics and plot-lines. Even if the majority of movie goers never read the comics, the stories and characters from these comics resonated with them.
Thor, ironman etc. has not been market leaders in comics. Marvel may sold more comics than DC at times, But that was largely due to X-Men, Spiderman, Fantastic Four. The marvel films have strayed away from comic arcs at many times as well.
Whirl Wind Boy is offline   Reply With Quote